How To Download A .tar File?

I want to download a calendar program. The file, Rainlendar-lite-2.1.tar.bz2, downloaded to Archive Manager. I clicked "open" and It didn't do anything. I minimized it, to read the help files, which wasn't any help, and I must have closed the Download Manager. Now I can't even find that. Where is it located? When I do find it, how do I unzip and download the program?

Thanks

Mark

Edited by garmanma

just save it, the second option, Archive Manager should have opened it, but if if fails you have to start over.

you could also use the tar command from the command line to extract it(untar it)

tar -xf Rainlendar-lite-2.1.tar.bz2

the "x" option tells it to extract it

the "f" option tells it what file to extract

Edited by shanenin

Well, I got the program installed. Now, I would like to get it to run at start up. Arsgeek.com gave the instructions to open the terminal, and type in:

cd /Desktop

sudo mv rainlendar2 /opt/

That's supposed to put it in the /opt directory.

I opened the terminal, it already says

garmanma@garmanma-desktop:~$

I enter the command and it comes back saying:

"bash cd: /Desktop: No such file or directory"

I thought I typed it exactly, spaces and all but apparently I'm doing something wrong

Thanks

Mark

Edited by garmanma

Desktop is a directory located in your home directory, not your root directory

this command gives the full location of it

cd /home/username/Desktop

since you are already in your "Home" directory, you can just do this. Note, their is not prevailing "/"

cd Desktop

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/tasks/cd1.html

Edited by shanenin

No luck so far. Here's what I did. I opened terminal and the line "garmanma@garmanma-desktop:~$" was already in the box. I entered "sudo mv rainlendar2 /opt/" and "Password:" came up on the screen. I typed in my admin. password but nothing showed up on the screen while doing so. No dots or asterisks. I hit enter and it came back "garmanma@garmanma-desktop:!$" again. I entered "sudo mv rainlendar2 /opt/" again and it comes up "no such file or directory".

Is it supposed to say "garmanma@garmanma-desktop:~$" when it opens? I know I'm typing something wrong, because I typed some of the entries on the site you posted and nothing happened. Time to take a break and eat some ribs

Mark

as to typing in the password, that is normal, not to show any characters being typed. The mv command does not give output(unless specified with the -v option), so that means it moved correctly without errors. When you tried it a second time you got an error about the file not being there. This is because you already moved it to the /opt directory.

Try the ls command. It will list the contents of a directory

ls /opt

it should list the file you just moved there

Edited by shanenin