Synaptic Package Mgr. Question

I need to download some codecs to play music. I opened the package manager and located GS Streamer. It wants me to select a directory. Am I correct in assuming the "root" in Linux is the same as "C:\" in Windows? Do I just select "Root" and then click add or do I need to create a folder and label it "codecs"? All the different names for the same things are getting me a little flustered

Mark

Edited by garmanma
Thanks. I'm now reading and bookmarked the Linux glossary of terms I found. I got to remember that I didn't learn Windows overnight, either

Mark

That's the right attitude to have, Mark! :thumbsup:

You can easily create folders within your home directory. For example if you open up a terminal prompt and type this

cd /home/yourusername

that takes you to your home directory; then issue this command to create folders within your home directory

mkdir foldername

You can also create folders within the graphical file managers for gnome and kde. I have some Linux command line stuff in my Linux Stuff website. My website is in my signature.

Have fun:-)

Slow but sure, I'm kinda getting used to it. I got almost everything set up the way I like it. Once I figure out how to get my trackball to work I'll be a happy camper. Found a couple of hacks for a 5 button mouse, which. I assume the 5th button is the scroll ring, but that's still over my head. I find myself booting less and less to the XP drive. Hitest, how's the wife and daughter? I remember you had a couple of concerns over Christmas. Hope everything's OK

Mark

Hitest, how's the wife and daughter? I remember you had a couple of concerns over Christmas. Hope everything's OK

Mark

Hi Mark,

My wife and daughter are doing very well indeed! :D Thanks for asking, Mark:-)

We had a bit of a scare with my 12 year old daughter as she had a mole on her forehead that looked bad. Thankfully, after the mole was removed it turned out to be benign. :D

Slow but sure, I'm kinda getting used to it. I got almost everything set up the way I like it. Once I figure out how to get my trackball to work I'll be a happy camper. Found a couple of hacks for a 5 button mouse, which. I assume the 5th button is the scroll ring, but that's still over my head. I find myself booting less and less to the XP drive. Hitest, how's the wife and daughter? I remember you had a couple of concerns over Christmas. Hope everything's OK

Mark

The scroll wheel isn't that hard to setup. You'll have to edit your Xorg configuration but there's alot of howto's on doing that. This isn't Debian but it'll work just the same. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/How_to...se_scroll_wheel