It shouldn't be too hard, this tutorial will show you how to do it. It provides steps with GParted, however the same type of partitioning can be done with Partition Magic (However that's not free, but if you have it - that'll work too. If you don't have Partition Magic use GParted as they show).

http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

Note: From what I've read, you will need a full version of Vista in order for this to work! That's very important. I've read if you use an Upgrade disk to do the install with XP still on the drive it will void your XP install. So you're going to need spend a bit more money for the full version.

B

It shouldn't be too hard, this tutorial will show you how to do it. It provides steps with GParted, however the same type of partitioning can be done with Partition Magic (However that's not free, but if you have it - that'll work too. If you don't have Partition Magic use GParted as they show).

http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

Note: From what I've read, you will need a full version of Vista in order for this to work! That's very important. I've read if you use an Upgrade disk to do the install with XP still on the drive it will void your XP install. So you're going to need spend a bit more money for the full version.

B

Yea thats the tutorial i found. it looks pretty straight forward, hopefully i wont run into any trouble. thanks for the reply.

I've found BCDEdit to be a bit...uhmmm..flaky so to speak.

This new and rather convoluted method we have to go thru for dual booting is causing some folks to just say forget it, and I think that's a bad thing. I guess so do the many folks who've had issues with this method and ended up having to rebuild the MBR at best, and reinstall everything at worst.

There is also an MBR problem with that method that a simple OS reformat & reinstall CANNOT FIX, make sure to read up on everything StealthG.

I found it easier to just unhook my HDD with Vista and install XP onto HDD #3 so the bootcode gets written to that disk's bootsector, just leaving Vista's BCD alone. Now I just change the boot device order in BIOS to control what I boot too instead. Of course, not everyone has multiple HDD's so that's not going to help allot of folks I know, but for those who do have multiple disks, I'd say this is the easier and safer way to go about it.