Need Help Installing A New Video Card

Hello Everyone! The other day my dad went out and bought him self a EVGA Nvidia Geforce 7600GT PCI E card. I uninstalled the driver to his old card then installed his new card for him and when I booted the system up it stalled on the post screen. The next thing I thought was to reseat the card again thinking that it wan't seated properly, so I turn it back on and the same problem again. I put the old card in and it works fine. Then next day I took the card back to the store where he bought it and they tested the card and said it wasn't defective, and works fine. My dads system is custom built computer which is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.81 with 1gb ram Windows Vista Home basic.

I tried everything but have ran out of ideas and any of your suggestion will be very helpful!

Thank you

sceeter32

was the old card you removed a pci express card also? I would look around in the bios and see if their is a setting that does not look right.

Yes the old card was a pci express card. I did look in the bios but could not fine anything that looks wrong.

I would put the new card in, then try clearing the cmos. Usually pulling the battery for a 30 seconds will do it. If that does not clear it, you may also have to move the set of jumpers by the battery; you may want to look at your manual for the procedure.

edit added later//

What do you mean it "stalled on the post screen"? I assumed you were not able to get the the bios with the new card in, is that right?

Just for curiosity, I would be curious to see if a linux cd like knoppix or ubuntu would be able to run the card.

Edited by shanenin

I seem to recall reading somewhere to uninstall all the software related to the card. Example, ATI has the Catalyst Control Center. I don't know what comes with Nvidia. I found this link from the Winds BBS site. I'm not sure what driver cleaner utility he's talking about

tutorial

Mark

Did you check to see if it's compatible with Vista? Ask the place where you bought it what they tested it on

Mark

The card is compatible with Vista as it says on the box. Also I tried installing this card with no O/S on the harddrive and still stalls on the boot screen.

Sceeter32

Edited by sceeter32

Is it posting, are you able to view the bios setup menu?

Are you able to see the windows splash screen?

http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pr...0Graphic/OO.gif

Is it failing at the last minute, just before the desktop is drawn?

Do you have a live linux cd? If so will it boot properly with that?

Edited by shanenin
Is it posting, are you able to view the bios setup menu?

Are you able to see the windows splash screen?

http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pr...0Graphic/OO.gif

Is it failing at the last minute, just before the desktop is drawn?

Do you have a live linux cd? If so will it boot properly with that?

It does'nt get that far just to the post screen

I can be slow to understand, so be patient with me :-) I am not sure quite what you mean by the post screen

Are you able to get to the bios setup screen?

Have you tried a live Linux version like knoppix?

I can be slow to understand, so be patient with me :-) I am not sure quite what you mean by the post screen

Are you able to get to the bios setup screen?

Have you tried a live Linux version like knoppix?

Yes the post screen where it detects your hardware (when you first turn your computer on) I can get into the the bios setting but thats as far as it will let me go. Linux live cd will not work because it hangs at the post screen with one beep as i don't get any beep errors at all. Sorry thats the best way I can explain the problems with this computer.

Sceeter32

I'm not sure of that particular card. Just off the top of my head. Could it have it's own power needs? Some more powerful Graphic cards need their own power supplied to them on a four pin connector.

Just a shot in the dark on this.

Hey I got mine working. This is what I did.

I disabled the old drivers by going to the device manager. Then shut down. Next, I installed the new card, booted into safe mode and then installed the new drivers. It rebooted and Windows opened. Finally, I updated the drivers from Nvidia's site, now everythings working.

Hope in someway this helps.

what was the previous card anyway? It actually sounds to me like you have a hardware conflict of some sort. What are the full specs of the system. It'd be nice to knwo what motherboard it has and what chipset is on it and what sound card you are running and other things.

I have 2 EVGA e-GeForce CO (Copper Heatsink OverClocked edition) operating in SLI mode on an EVGA NF47 nForce4 SLIx16 Edition motherboard with an Athlon 64 3500+ and I have never had a lick of trouble out of them other than the loud OEM fans on them.

Also does the motherboard on the thing have some kind of diagnostic screen or sound output on it. Mine has a built screen that can display 2 characters and the certain codes on it mean certain things. Thanks to it I realized I had bad memory when I first built this system. I know some Asus boards have something you can plug speakers or headphones into to and it will tell you errors. I even have an old Albatron that has this with a built in speaker that tells you whats wrong.

Oh and does it have multiple PCI-E x16 slots? If so you might wanna try it in another slot. I know some non-SLI or non-Crossfire boards still have more than one.

what was the previous card anyway? It actually sounds to me like you have a hardware conflict of some sort. What are the full specs of the system. It'd be nice to knwo what motherboard it has and what chipset is on it and what sound card you are running and other things.

I have 2 EVGA e-GeForce CO (Copper Heatsink OverClocked edition) operating in SLI mode on an EVGA NF47 nForce4 SLIx16 Edition motherboard with an Athlon 64 3500+ and I have never had a lick of trouble out of them other than the loud OEM fans on them.

Also does the motherboard on the thing have some kind of diagnostic screen or sound output on it. Mine has a built screen that can display 2 characters and the certain codes on it mean certain things. Thanks to it I realized I had bad memory when I first built this system. I know some Asus boards have something you can plug speakers or headphones into to and it will tell you errors. I even have an old Albatron that has this with a built in speaker that tells you whats wrong.

Oh and does it have multiple PCI-E x16 slots? If so you might wanna try it in another slot. I know some non-SLI or non-Crossfire boards still have more than one.

Hello My dad system contains of:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (motherboard)

ATI Radeon X300 PCI Express Video Card

1GB Ram

Windows Vista Home Basic

onboard sound

80GB 7200 Harddrive

I took the card back to the store it was bought and they showed me that the card was not a bad one, and was working correctly. I tried uninstalling the old drivers from ati, then shutting it down and installing the new card but it wont boot up. I can only get into the bios setting and thats about it. I did what the store told me to try but that ended up in the wash lol. I have the same motherboard with the same video card at home and mine works perfect. I just don't get it GRRRRR....!!!!!

PS: I looked on the new card and there's no other power source.

Thanks for your help again

Sceeter32

Edited by sceeter32

Can you run the windows vista installer with the card in? You can start the install but cancel it before making any changes. If the installer will run, you can kind of conclude the hardware it ok, but windows is just messed up. If that is the case, you can try a clean install.

Edited by shanenin
Can you run the windows vista installer with the card in? You can start the install but cancel it before making any changes. If the installer will run, you can kind of conclude the hardware it ok, but windows is just messed up. If that is the case, you can try a clean install.

Hello Shanenin! I've tried that but it doesn't get past the point where it will boot to cd drive or any drive in that matter.

Here a link of a picture of the post screen where it stops. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/scr...32/IMG_0077.jpg

Sceeter32

Edited by sceeter32

Well, there just may be a compatibility issue with the mobo and Video card though it's kinda hard to see why when the mobo has an nVidia chipset. Just take it back to the store and tell him it does not work with you system and request a GeForce 7600GT of another brand. I know the store I like to go to carries both MSI and EVGA cards, probably for situations like this. I hate to tell you to get a different brand cause EVGA is my favorite. My twin 7600GT CO's have never had issues like this. I have an EVGA mobo too so I best not have trouble.

Also, which do you have the monitor hooked up as. VGA or DVI. By the looks of the picture, it appears to be VGA since part of the screen isn't showing. when you hook them up with DVI, they should automatically be adjusted. You might wanna try DVI if you can.

Oh and are you have an EVGA account online? If so, just post this same thing up on their forums. they have a LOT of people on there dealing with Video card related questions constantly so ask them.

Edited by Honda_Boy
I see it doesn't even make it to "verifying DMI Pool". Have you tried resetting the BIOS? Either by the jumper or removing the mobo battery for a while

Mark

Hi garmanma! I took tthe battery out but still nothing.

Sceeter32

I am guessing you must be far away from your computer, if not, just for kicks, I would try the card in that system(since they have the same components)

Ya I was at my home lol Anyway I fixed the problem and it works now YAHOOOO!!!! I had to flash the bios. Now it work fine

Thank you for all you guys help much appreciated! :-)

Sceeter32