Okay, guys this is going to be quite confusing.

I'll try to explain the best I can.

Here's how my network setup looks like.

-->> CABLE MODEM

------->> Voice Terminal/Router #1

------------------------------------->> ROUTER #2

---------------------------------------------------->>COMPUTER #1 (VISTA)

---------------------------------------------------->>COMPUTER #2 (XP)

---------------------------------------------------->> WIRELESS ROUTER

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>> LAPTOP

I want to know how I would network my Vista and XP machine to my laptop (which is running XP)

can you do this instead?

-->> CABLE MODEM

------------------------------------->> WIRELESS ROUTER

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>> LAPTOP

You will have to turn router #2 into switch mode(this usually can be done through the web config), then let your wireless router do all the nat. You will just need to plug router #2 into one of the Ethernet ports of the wireless router.

Now all of the computers will be on the same subnet and the wireless router will do the NAT.

Edited by shanenin
-->> CABLE MODEM

---------------------------------------------------->> WIRELESS ROUTER

Yeh, you have the issue there with NAT. Laptop will be able to make connections to the computer (providing that, its gateway is set as the wireless router) i.e. it will be able to ping, ftp, smb etc.

However, because of the NAT of the wireless router, the computer won't be able to connect to the laptop.

Your setup boggles me somewhat however. Usually, multiple routers are used like this to divide the network up into subnets however you want the laptop to talk to the computer. Shanenin's suggested setup is more sensible for your needs. That is, router #2 connects via one of its switch ports to a switch port on the wireless router (or visa versa).

~Phil~

Well, might as well try it.

Is there a way to disable NAT (which, I'm assuming is the firewall part?).

I enabled DMZ on router #1.

Yes, I know my network is confusing, but considering I only paid about $20 for all three. I don't regret it.

Router #1 is acts as a Voice Terminal for Vonage. (I got it for free when I signed up)

Router #2 is another voice terminal/router but, I only use it as a router (bought it for $20)

Router #3, is a FON (Fonera). I got it free from fon.com

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finally had time to play with it.

here's some info!

Cable Modem: SBG100 - http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfboard-S...m/dp/B00008Y1BX

Router/Voice Terminal: Vt1000 - http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/vt1000.html

Router #2: VT2442 - http://www.gadgetchick.com/internet-phone-...or-with-router/

Wireless Router: La Fonera - http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/04/fons-ne...onera-hits-fcc/

Now, as you can see from the pictures, the Wireless router (fonera) has to be Last and the Voice Termain/Router (Vt1000) has to be first...

Set the wireless router in "Client Bridged Mode". This will allow it to use the DHCP of the first router to assign LAN IP addresses. It will also use the subnet mask of the first router. Like the second router it will become a switch (wireless).

Hello Acklan. Welcome to Besttechie. I just noticed your post. I'm used to seeing you at BC

Mark

Actually from what I can find out your VoIP (Cable telephone) only has a pass through and does not have a router.

If I were setting up a network with the equipment you have listed I would remove the wired router and place a Ethernet switch after it and allow it DHCP feature to assign LAN IP addresses.

You asked. I just like things clean. If your routers all get set back to the default you will have to re-configure them. As a wireless router would be your best move. You can pick on up for about $30.

http://justdeals.stores.yahoo.net/wgt624nar.html