Power Saving On Monitor

I have my linux box set to blank out my monitor after 40 minutes. I have noticed that over the past few weeks it does not always turn off. While walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night my desktop is still sometimes showing. I get the impression some process is misbehaving and not allowing my system to power down the monitor. Any ideas to what might be causing the monitor not to power off?

I am going to log off tonight and see if that helps. Since logging off should kill all of the processes that belong to "shane", I may be able to determine it it is a system process. That in itself is not real conclusive, since this only happens a few times per week.

Interesting, so it only happens some of the time? Last time I had a problem with my monitor not powering off I had forgot to put DPMS in my xorg config. But since it's only happening a few times a week that shouldn't be the problem. I don't know if you've ever read this or not. http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Automatically...ff_your_monitor

That is weird, shanenin. Yeah, when I forget to add Option "dpms" to xorg.conf in FreeBSD or Slack my monitor won't power down. But, it may not be that as the monitor does usually power down you say? If logging out doesn't do it try a re-boot or maybe fire up top and see if any weird processes are running.

Thanks for the suggestions.

as mentioned in the gentoo wiki, I am going to add this line to my xorg.conf

Option "OffTime" "20"

I think without this line, it must use a default or what I have set with my gnome screen saver. Maybe this will override it

Edited by shanenin