Need Help Installing Network Card

I finally got Kubuntu 7.04 up and running but I can't get my network card to work in it. The motherboard in this ting is one of those rare ones that doesn't have built in Ethernet. I tried 2 different cards. I opened up the system info thing and it says there are no Network Interface devices installed. I tried checking the thing that said PCI devices and it shows it's installed but it doesn't recognize it as a network card. Wassup here. I know that way back in the day when I still used FC4 on my old Gateway, it recognized the card and it worked immediately. How come this newer release won't see it?

Thanks in advance.

Well one's RealTek and the Other is 3com. I figured it'd automatically be able to use both since the RealTek is, well... it's a RealTek, and the 3com is 7 years old.

actually I know what the RealTek has and I found a driver for it but of course, installing anything in Linux that would normally be just a few mouse clicks in Windows, is a monstrous pain. I thought Kubuntu and Ubuntu were supposed to have installers in them. That's why I downloaded it. I'm bout to just say forget it. I think I'm havin more trouble with Kubuntu than FC4.

is it the realtek 8139? You should already have support(driver) installed.

I am not really sure on the kde way to configure the network. What does this command show for output

/sbin/ifconfig

No it's the RTL8029AS

Right now I have the 3com in it but it's just givin me generic numbers. I figured the 3 com would definitely work since it's 7 years old but I guess not. Maybe it's just this new version of Kubuntu is kinda like Vista. Maybe I should try Kubuntu 6 instead of 7. Either that or I may need to try straight up Ubuntu.

Also what I find retarded is that Windows 98se is able to automatically recognize and use both these cards. It's not right I tell ya.

Edited by Honda_Boy

From what I read, you may be able to use this module(driver), ne2k-pci, for the realtek card. Try the code below, it will load your module(driver)

sudo modprobe ne2k-pci

then try the following command to restart your networking

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

you can check if you got an ip address with the following command

/sbin/ifconfig

Edited by shanenin

no go, the first command did nothing. It said password the first time I did it. I typed my root password but nothing showed up on the console when I did and when I hit enter it didn't do anything. I tried the command again and nothing. I did the second command and it just kept saying, error no such device.

I got it working. I had the wrong card in. When I swapped them out, it immediately recognized the RealTek and connected to my network. I am currently typing from the Linux box but from Konqueror cause now I have no clue how to install firefox. I found an installer program but I don't know how to use it. All i can seem to find is ways to uninstall stuff.

I got it working. I had the wrong card in. When I swapped them out, it immediately recognized the RealTek and connected to my network. I am currently typing from the Linux box but from Konqueror cause now I have no clue how to install firefox. I found an installer program but I don't know how to use it. All i can seem to find is ways to uninstall stuff.

Nicely done, Honda Boy:-)

To install firefox you need to look for a package manager program called adept. Adept will connect to the Kubuntu repositories for you and you'll be able to easily download, install firefox. It should be in system administration somewhere.

Heh, you beat me to it Carnevil:-)

ah sweet. Thanks. It's installing right now. So if I ever need to install anything, this is what I use right? Even if it's something I download?