I've Got My Linux Box Running

So I have a few extra computers layin around (a grand total of 7 computers in my room, 5 functional, 2 used regularly, one I'm taking else where, one that's gonna be my new Linux box, and one not worth using due to it's age). I decided since Windows 98se Keeps going sour on the computer that was at my Granny's that I would fix it. Well I happened to acquire an older HP with an XP license on it so I installed XP on it and am taking it to her house since XP Home SP2 should be far more stable. I'm taking the other one which is faster in every way but didn't have an XP license (and was barely used even when it worked) and am putting Kubuntu on it (and the torrent for it is blazin right now so it'll be done in about an hour and a half).

So since I'm making a Linux box, what do should I do with it? I know so far that I'll be using it for image editing using the GIMP. But that's bout all I can think of. I may use it to store some stuff but since it only has a 40GB drive and I'm gonna add a 20, there ain't a great deal I can store on it.

Hmm what to do with it?

Edited by Honda_Boy
Hmm what to do with it?

Have fun with it and learn about Kubuntu:-) Kubuntu which is based on debian linux is quite different from rpm based distros like fedora. You can do anything you want with your linux box. :thumbsup:

Congrats on getting up and running. :matrix:

OK. Now, the root user. I can't login to root. When I have the pop-up that says enter the root password, I enter it and it works. But when the user login screen comes up and I type in root then enter the password. It says Login failed. Why won't it work.

The reason why I'm even tryin to login as root is cause of another problem. I shutdown the Linux box cause it's loud and I was gonna watch some anime. When I turned it back on, my wallpaper wasn't showin up. The standard ones that came with it work but none of the ones I keep in my Home folder work any more. So I figured I'd move my wallpapers over to the same folder that the ones that came with it were in. Well it won't let me cause it's under ownership of root. Since I can't login as root, I can't move these pictures. But a better question would be why isn't my wallpaper showin up?

Kubuntu is irritating the living the crap out of me. It's actually makin FC4 look better. I had an easier time customizing and operating it and making it do what I want but installing stuff was nearly impossible for me. Installing Crap in Kubuntu is easier but it's acting up so damn much, I'm going insane.

*Well i solved the wallpaper problem but I still would like to know why I can't log in to root. I noticed somethin while I was tryin to set the wallpaper. I had a folder in the home folder I created called Pictures and then another within it called Wallpapers. Everytime I told it to browse for a wallpaper it would start in pictures and not wallpapers prolly cause I set the wallpaper when the pic was originally in Pictures. I mopved all the pics back to pictures and tried to set the wallpaper again. It worked. I moved one pic back to Wallpapers and tried to set it and it worked. So I moved them all back to Wallpapers and they all worked so problem solved.

Edited by Honda_Boy
OK. Now, the root user. I can't login to root. When I have the pop-up that says enter the root password, I enter it and it works. But when the user login screen comes up and I type in root then enter the password. It says Login failed. Why won't it work.

As a security precaution most Debian-based systems will not allow you to easily log-in to a graphical environment as root. Actually you can accomplish everything you want by invoking the root password when prompted or by logging on as root at a terminal prompt. For example I recently used this command on my Debian Etch box at a root shell prompt to add non-free repos to my sources list after editing my sources list ( wanted to have java and a lot of other non-free apps)

#cp sources.list /etc/apt

Ok something else bothering me. When I got it running there were no icons and still are no icons other than one I added. I noticed in many of ya'lls screen shots that ya'll had Home, System, and Trash. Mine has home and trash on the taskbar but system is no where in sight.

Ok something else bothering me. When I got it running there were no icons and still are no icons other than one I added. I noticed in many of ya'lls screen shots that ya'll had Home, System, and Trash. Mine has home and trash on the taskbar but system is no where in sight.

Kubuntu doesn't come with a lot of icons. Just right-click the task bar on the bottom and add the icons that you want. You can customize it to fit your needs.