Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading the processor on my brother's computer since socket 939 cpus are becoming hard to find. This is his current setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ San Diego (1.8GHz)

MSI K8N Neo4-F

1 Gb of Corsair ValueSelect DDR400 Ram

eVGA Geforce 6200TC

I am considering getting either the Athlon 64 4000+ or the Athlon 64 X2 4200+. He mainly uses the computer for web browsing, word processing, iTunes and schoolwork (he is in his second year in engineering). He may have to use some more intensive programs later, like MATLAB or MATHMATICA.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Edited by nickmart
I would definitely go with a dual core. If you do not want to spend alot, I would consider this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103052

Thanks for the advice shanenin. I am curious though about the reason you recommended the dual core chip. Would my brother see a much better performance gains with the X2 4200 over the 4000? Price is not too much of a concern, but I would like to spend it wisely.

I would also appreciate it if someone could recommend a good heatsink and fan, something on the easier side to install.

Thanks again.

Edited by nickmart

A dual core chip is like having two processors instead of one. That is giving you a huge performance gain. My understanding is the x2 4200 has the same processing power as two single core Athlon 64 3800s.

As to the heat sink and fan. I would recommend getting a retail box. This includes both. The retail fan and keatsink also support Quiet and Cool

edit added later//

I just noticed newegg does not have any retail boxes of any 939 x2 procs.

edit added later//

I just asked my friend. He said the stock heatsink that came with the 64 3000+ is ok to use with an athlon x2 4200. He said they may have different part numbers, but they are the same size.

Edited by shanenin