Cease And Desist

I got my first "Cease and Desist" letter. I was flagged for downloading an on air tv show. Now I am hesitant to push my luck and see what will happen if I get a second letter. I wonder if my cable provider will really cut me off. I like downloading tv and watching it on my own schedule, but this may have to end. I will probably spend the $15/month to get the cable offered dvr box.

edit added later//

its funny how much my life has changed. Now I am worried about getting in trouble with my cable provider. At one time I was only worried about crimes that would give me 3 to 5 year mandatory sentences, less then a one year jail sentence was acceptable.

Edited by shanenin

Was it an actual "Cease and Desist" letter, or just saying if someone complained they would cut you off.

I get one once a year reminding everyone that if a music or movie company traces a IP address to them and complains that they could stop service.

I think it's a way to cover their rear-ends.

I guess "Cease and Desist" was an exaggeration. It read: we your cable provider have been notified by "NB*" that you have downloaded(or shared) the following show, "the A*********". Please be warned this is illegal and we may stop your service.

You are probable correct, it is more just to cover their butt. None the less, I will probably just get the DVR and be on the legal and safe side.

Watch it on You tube. Quality sucks but at least it's legal. I'm lucky. I have downloaded more than 400 hours worth of my shows and never gotten in trouble. Maybe cause I download unlicensed anime (unlicensed in the US that is). I will admit that I have downloaded 3 licensed series but only cause there were no DVD's out yet and they don't air on TV. I heard they were good so I had to see them. Of course that is only 3 out of the 90 some odd series I've downloaded. If there are DVD's in the US though of a series I wanna watch, I buy them.

How were you downloading this stuff? I normally either go to Fansub TV and Direct Download or I go to AnimeSuki, Baka Updates, or Mininova and use Torrents. My cable company hasn't said a thing but I think they might have throttled my bandwidth more than once due to the constant downloading :P .

I will probably spend the $15/month to get the cable offered dvr box.
Let's see, $15 a mo. into $250-80... Sounds like you could pay for one in a year and a half. We bought a new Toshiba for $270 (shipped) off E-Bay two years ago. We LOVE it! It's like our cable modem, $3.50 a month to rent it... I bought mine for $80 and got a $50 rebate, 5-6 years ago. They kinda pay for themselves compared to renting.
I will probably spend the $15/month to get the cable offered dvr box.
Let's see, $15 a mo. into $250-80... Sounds like you could pay for one in a year and a half. We bought a new Toshiba for $270 (shipped) off E-Bay two years ago. We LOVE it! It's like our cable modem, $3.50 a month to rent it... I bought mine for $80 and got a $50 rebate, 5-6 years ago. They kinda pay for themselves compared to renting.

Is that a toshiba dvr? I was kind of thinking about building a dvr unit.

Edited by shanenin
I use my neighbors open wifi to download illegal stuff.

HA! you sneaky little booger. Well, its like I said. I only download unlicensed stuff now so can't anyone say anything to me. But even then Trackers like Baka Updates has torrents for licensed series but they don't get in trouble.

Ok the Unlicensed thing is kind of a partial lie. I still download new eps of Death Note when they come out. It's my only exception because it got licensed here in the States before it ever finished in Japan. It's supposed to be 39 episodes and it got licensed only 12 eps in (a first might I add). So far no DVD's are out yet and even then, the first one would only have the first 4 eps. It's currently at 30 which I am currently downloading.

if I could just buy the episodes I wanted at a reasonable price and good resolution, I would be happy to do that. I think it is just a matter of time before that is the standard way to watch tv.