Running Unix Based Applications On Vista

Okay, so you want to compile and run Unix-based applications on Windows Vista? Now, you can! It's pretty simple too, not much work required. Alright, so what you need to do is the following:

First go to your control panel, you can get there through the Start menu. Once in the control panel, click "Programs and Features" which by the way is the new Add/Remove Programs name. Once you're in "Programs and Features" click "Turn Windows features on or off". Then a dialog box will pop up, scroll down the list until you see the option "Subsystems for Unix-based Applications" by default it will be unticked, tick it. Then click Ok, and it will install that feature. Now you should be able to compile and run Unix-based applications and scripts on the Windows OS!

B

Okay, so you want to compile and run Unix-based applications on Windows Vista? Now, you can! It's pretty simple too, not much work required. Alright, so what you need to do is the following:

First go to your control panel, you can get there through the Start menu. Once in the control panel, click "Programs and Features" which by the way is the new Add/Remove Programs name. Once you're in "Programs and Features" click "Turn Windows features on or off". Then a dialog box will pop up, scroll down the list until you see the option "Subsystems for Unix-based Applications" by default it will be unticked, tick it. Then click Ok, and it will install that feature. Now you should be able to compile and run Unix-based applications and scripts on the Windows OS!

B

hay SFU that seams to work(not Blue Screen my Box as the old versions did on 2003) , This is the first useful thing I have found they added. Thanks, I really needed the NFS and this also showed me how to turn on Telnet.

I don't know what version of Vista you have but on Vista Ultra

its

Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features

Good find..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BT,

Thanks for the useful info, however I wonder, is this feature perhaps only available on Ultimate? I'm running Home-Premium on an ASUS G2P, and seeing lots of other options (such as telnet) but not the Unix option...?

Thanks,

- Dharma

that is a good question. I have been debating with myself if I want to spend the extra money for ultimate. A feature like that is one i may use.

It's actually more of a curiosity with me - if it's there I want to know how to play with it, so that my decision not to use a Windows tool is "informed". I suspect MS will be hard driven to put up much of a challenge to Cygwin, which works just fine for 'Nixifying Windows...

- Dharma

Interesting on the MS site it seems to say it's included in Windows Vista (pretty general statement there, even some knowledge base articles regarding this topic apply to all versions of Vista). However, after some further reading it appears that it's only in Vista Ultimate and Enterprise.

Sorry about the confusion.

B