Besttechie Member Poll - Please Participate!

How Many Besttechie Members are Vista Users or Will Be Someday?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Vista already? If not, will you get it in the near Future?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • In the Near Future
    • I need more Help to Decide

JDoors

Hey old friend...if I didn't know any better, I'd almost say that you're kinda treating my reply like it's from some rookie n00b or sumthin.

For the record, I had no intention of getting into Vista right away either, I was kinda forced into it by a BIOS that couldn't recognize ANY bootable device, and short of unsoldering the CMOS chip and getting an EPROM burner, I was S.O.L. Computers don't work well if it can't see something to boot...do they. ;)

Well, if I'm going to use something, I want to know EVERYTHING I CAN about it and what it can or can't do. And of course there's going to be some ..."OOooo..Lookee That" moments, it's new and comes with new things.

Also of course, there are going to be bugs as well, just as there were with XP's release, and just like Every Single Operating System ever made will have! XP was released with over 1500 Minor bugs (in MS's estimation) and Vista with less than 500 (again, according to MS), and XP was rather buggy until SP1 was released. Vista no doubt will have it's issues also.

I also laugh at Mac users who think their OS is Impermiable, Impregnable, Impossible to crack....Yah right! It's been cracked already and the more popular it gets, the more Attractive it becomes for hackers to take pokes at. No OS is perfect and never will be, they're just to complex to believe that can ever happen.

Yes, there's a little "OOoo" and "Ahhh" to anything new, and there's also some.."%^$$!!@" and " :angry2::angry2: " too. I've gone thru both and now working on getting our BT Members & Guests thru them as well.

Oh, BTW JDoors, I know you weren't attacking me, or my opinions just so you know. But I did want to reply to what you said.

Later!

No, I'm not one to have the newest or best of anything, I was kinda forced into this one and I'm just making the best of what's been dealt to me. And while I'm at it, I still have that insatiable urge to help others who may be having problems with it, so I do whatever I can to help them along also. I'd still be using my XP Pro install if I had my Druthers, and I'd be in the "Maybe in the Future" category too.

.For the record, I had no intention of getting into Vista right away either, I was kinda forced into it by a BIOS that couldn't recognize ANY bootable device, and short of unsoldering the CMOS chip and getting an EPROM burner, I was S.O.L. Computers don't work well if it can't see something to boot...do they. ;)

Or just buy a new mother board :-)

I am just giving you a hard time. I am sure you were do for a new toy.

.For the record, I had no intention of getting into Vista right away either, I was kinda forced into it by a BIOS that couldn't recognize ANY bootable device, and short of unsoldering the CMOS chip and getting an EPROM burner, I was S.O.L. Computers don't work well if it can't see something to boot...do they. ;)

Or just buy a new mother board :-)

I am just giving you a hard time. I am sure you were do for a new toy.

I actually have an EPROM burner, I've just never had the time to figure it out. Back when PLC controllers first came out I got one. It's loaded with specific programs. I just got to figure how to download programs to it. Sounds like a winter project

Mark

JDoors

Hey old friend...if I didn't know any better, I'd almost say that you're kinda treating my reply like it's from some rookie n00b or sumthin.

For the record, I had no intention of getting into Vista right away either, I was kinda forced into it by a BIOS that couldn't recognize ANY bootable device, and short of unsoldering the CMOS chip and getting an EPROM burner, I was S.O.L. Computers don't work well if it can't see something to boot...do they. ;)

Moi? Non! :lol:

Mostly describing MY experience with upgrades, and poking some fun. I did say that, like you've stated, when I have to replace the system I'll jump up to Vista. And I know I'll go through exactly what you've gone through, thrills, warts and all. ;)

I didn't mention it but, like others, finances played a role in my no longer upgrading every time a point-whatever version came along. Before then my friends and family would give me a hard time for grabbing every new version. "You're running the NEW version ... Why?" I dunno, 'cause it's fun?

JDoors

Moi? Non! :lol:

Mostly describing MY experience with upgrades, and poking some fun. I did say that, like you've stated, when I have to replace the system I'll jump up to Vista. And I know I'll go through exactly what you've gone through, thrills, warts and all. ;)

I didn't mention it but, like others, finances played a role in my no longer upgrading every time a point-whatever version came along. Before then my friends and family would give me a hard time for grabbing every new version. "You're running the NEW version ... Why?" I dunno, 'cause it's fun?

Well..... In another year and about 11 months you could skip Vista and jump right into Vienna. (ooops, I mean Windows 7) Of course if you think upgrading for Vista is a challange.

But so far, everything I have on Vienna (Windows 7) is that it's going to be strickly 64bit. Sounds like the end of the 32bit systems is moving closer and closer. (edit, they are not fully sure yet)

Keep the Poll going Folks!!

I'm going to keep it open for some time yet so other members who don't visit as often can still take part in it, so let's keep voting if you haven't already!

Sounds like the end of the 32bit systems is moving closer and closer.

No doubt there JSKY, 32bit is fast becoming the Dinosaur system. I really doubt Vienna will be ready in 2 years but I also don't think it'll be another 5 years before we see the next release either. I hope that some of the really innovative and exciting changes that were originally slated for Vista (Longhorn), but were dropped due to time and stability issues, finds their way into Vienna still. There were some very good low level new things they had planned that just couldn't work in time for Vista RTM that I still want them to continue working on and hopefully they will.

Mark (garmanma)

Hey...where were you when I NEEDED an EPROM Burner!!!!!!! ;)

Nah, it may have worked but I was going to get a new system this year anyway, this was just sooner than I expected and I would have rather built my own but time and money just wouldn't support that at the time. Hardly any CMOS chips are socketed these days anyway it seems, board makers are too cheap to add another socket on the boards maybe...I don't know, but I would've had to unsolder it, burn it, and resolder it and then hope it works and all my connections are good.

Oh well, it still was an odd problem I had with that Flash. I know all about how to recover from a failed flash but this one completely eliminated the BIOS's ability to recognize and list any bootable devices, so I was really stuck this time. Even tho it listed "Floppy Device" under boot devices, it wasn't listed as my "specific" drive & wouldn't boot from it or recognize the specific device no matter what I tried.

JDoors

Tell me about that...it's pretty darn expensive to stay current when OS's are $500 and add on top of that any hardware changes to support it if needed. I didn't play with the Beta builds long enough to be any help to our members who did get Vista and besides that, there are so many differences between any of the Beta's and the RTM build that it was no good for that anyway. So this upgrade will at least pay off for our Bettechie members and guests who do have Vista, they'll now have a few of us to help them with Vista support issues now. We sure could use you in that group too bud (hint-hint...nudge-nudge ;)) but whenever you can will be good or if it's not until Vienna then that'll work too.

... So this upgrade will at least pay off for our Bettechie members and guests who do have Vista, they'll now have a few of us to help them with Vista support issues now. We sure could use you in that group too bud (hint-hint...nudge-nudge ;)) but whenever you can will be good or if it's not until Vienna then that'll work too.

You know, that is actually one of the downsides to no longer grabbing every upgrade: I can't help anyone any more!

It started slowly, aside from the questions I would never have known the answers to anyway came a question here and there about a version I didn't have. Then more of them, and more, and, now, here I am, utterly useless. :(

Go back people! <you don't want vista ... you don't want vista ... you don't want vista ...>

JD, there are plenty of us who will use XP until it's used up. Like so many still running 98. I just don't see any reason whatsoever to dish out more $$ for a "downsized because we have no time to get it right" OS. All this with plans to release another, Vienna, in a few years. Blah!

XP pried from my cold stiff hands, thank you.

I LOVE the insight this post is giving us!!

How else could we have possibly known just what everyone was thinking about Vista, this poll has certainly been an eye opener...I wunder if I should send a copy of this to the MS Engineers...;)

JDoors..you'll ALWAYS be a big help to the members here no matter What OS you're running!

Don't you worry about that my friend :thumbsup:

Oh...and to our solitary voter who's in the "I need more Help to Decide" category....

ASK AWAY!!

That's why I put that in there, so if we had members who needed help or have questions they need answered before they buy/switch/whatever, we can help them!

You can ask in here, or if you like, in the PC Support section. We'll keep an eye out for your questions and answer as best we can.

... So this upgrade will at least pay off for our Bettechie members and guests who do have Vista, they'll now have a few of us to help them with Vista support issues now. We sure could use you in that group too bud (hint-hint...nudge-nudge ;)) but whenever you can will be good or if it's not until Vienna then that'll work too.

You know, that is actually one of the downsides to no longer grabbing every upgrade: I can't help anyone any more!

It started slowly, aside from the questions I would never have known the answers to anyway came a question here and there about a version I didn't have. Then more of them, and more, and, now, here I am, utterly useless. :(

Go back people! <you don't want vista ... you don't want vista ... you don't want vista ...>

Unless there is a change in the situation, I plan on upgrading to it in mid 2009.

i voted no for two reasons

first the price

in my country

is pretty high

unless you buy a perinstalled dell

and i had my lot with partitioned

hdd

the other reason is ime not as knowledgable as most of you

it has taken me a long time to get to grips with xp

and now ive get it sussed i dont want to have to learn all over again

ime learning linux

and that is hard enough