Change The Name Of The Registered Owner On An Oem Machine

Change the Name of the Registered Owner

In today's Tip, I'm going to show you how to change the name of the Registered owner on an OEM Machine.

Something that's ALWAYS bothered me about an OEM machine is that it will show the "Registered Owner" of the machine as "Hewlett Packard", or "Dell", or "Gateway" for the entire life of the machine, and doesn't allow you an easy way to change that.

I'm sorry....but YOU bought this machine, YOU own it, and YOU should show as the "Registered Owner"...am I not right here? What in the World would give Dell or HP the right to think that THEY should be the Registered Owner of that machine after it's been purchased? Nothing, that's what, and this tip will show you how to change that setting to show Your Name as it should be.

This tip does involve a small Registry Tweak, so if you're not familiar with, or aren't very confident about working in the Registry, you should read my Tutorial on How to Edit the Windows Registry first. If you've worked in the Registry before, then you'll have no problem allpying this change, so let's get to it shall we.

1) Click the Start Orb and type "regedit" without quotes in the Start Search box and hit Enter

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

post-152-1178698201_thumb.jpg

3) Double Click on Registered Owner to open the Value box

post-152-1178698217_thumb.jpg

4) Change the Value to Your Name or your Company Name and click OK

5) Double Click on Registered Organization to open it's Value box

6) Change the Value to what ever you wish.

7) Exit Registry Editor

You're Done!

Never again can HP, Dell, or Gateway claim Ownership of YOUR computer..;)

NOTE - This is a tested tweak and done properly will cause no harm, however, Besttechie.net makes no Warranty on anything concerning system changes.