first of all let me say this, i know to generally avoid the skinning programs that mess with the shell32 folder, but i couldn't resist and installed FlyAKiteOSX. It was cool for a bit, but as expected i decided it ate up too many resources and I just didn't like it. After restoring my system to it's prior state and uninstalling all the programs it came with, notably icon tweaker, i noticed not all my icons were restored. This includes some in the start menu. I tried repairing my icons thru TweakUI and TweakXP, but alas none of these work. I've tried searching for solutions all over the internet about how it could be the icon cache, and still none of the solutions i've tried such as altering the cache file to store more icon data has worked. System restore is not an option because I did this a long time ago (3+ weeks) and a lot of other things on my system have changed. i've looked all over the place, but i cant figure out how to restore these icons. some of my icons for files such as videos, pictures, and music etc. are also messed up and have the icon that's there when it doesn't know what kind of file it is, even though the files work correctly.

messedup.jpgmessedup2.jpg.

does anyone know a way where i can restore these icons in ways other than i've already tried? If there's a program or something that'll edit these icons so i can replace the defaults, that'd be great. I'm not computer illiterate, so I'm alright with trying something fairly advanced too.

Thanks!

Edited by Timspo14

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...eIconCache.html

There is a hidden icon cache file in your windows directory, ShellIconCache, which contains a copy of all the default desktop icons. It sometimes gets corrupted. If it does, your icons will go all black or they may display the wrong icons. If this happens, delete it and reboot. NT (& Win9x) will repopulate the cache with the default icons.

To delete the ShellIconCache:

At a command prompt, change to the %SystemRoot% folder

Remove the hidden attribute from the file:

Type attrib -h shelliconcache and press ENTER.

Delete the file:

Type del shelliconcache and press ENTER.

Logoff and backon and the default icons should be restored.

TweakUI has been known to corrupt the ShellIconCache.

This tip applies to all versions of Windows including Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

If the default icons were deleted from a Windows NT desktop, they can be recreated from the registry. See Q151723

Article not looking right or info is missing? Let us know so that we can fix it: [email protected].

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...eIconCache.html
There is a hidden icon cache file in your windows directory, ShellIconCache, which contains a copy of all the default desktop icons. It sometimes gets corrupted. If it does, your icons will go all black or they may display the wrong icons. If this happens, delete it and reboot. NT (& Win9x) will repopulate the cache with the default icons.

To delete the ShellIconCache:

At a command prompt, change to the %SystemRoot% folder

Remove the hidden attribute from the file:

Type attrib -h shelliconcache and press ENTER.

Delete the file:

Type del shelliconcache and press ENTER.

Logoff and backon and the default icons should be restored.

TweakUI has been known to corrupt the ShellIconCache.

This tip applies to all versions of Windows including Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

If the default icons were deleted from a Windows NT desktop, they can be recreated from the registry. See Q151723

Article not looking right or info is missing? Let us know so that we can fix it: [email protected].

ok, well i couldn't find the shelliconcache file in the Windows folder, so i did some research and discovered that it is now a file called Iconcache.db under my application data. the problem is that, after deleting and rebooting, my icons are still messed up. I have no idea where to go from here.