How To Upgrade Ubuntu

I've been reading how to do this and I think I can do it, but I'm a little confused. Some people recomend a 2-step upgrade going from 6.06 to 6.1, then 6.1 to 7.04. Others just upgrade in one step. Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be better?

Thanks

Mark

I have (in the past) upgraded skipping a version along the way. worked for me but prolly NOT the best method to use...I tend to agree with shanenin ..back up your /home/username and do a clean install then replace your home and you should be fine and lose no info that way.

I agree with jwbirdsong and shanenin,

A clean install is the best way to go after you back up the stuff you want to keep.

Upgrades will work; I'd go a step at a time. I've done upgrades about 4-5 times, upgrading Ubuntu 5.10--->6.06, but, I ended up sometimes getting weird authentication errors with apt-get.

With a clean install everything will work the first time.

So I'd go with a clean install:-) Have fun.

Well, I don't have the 7.04 disc and I've never used Bittorrent. I've seen a lot of people have problems downloading from a torrent. Searching all the forums, there seemed to be more people recommending to do the upgrade progressively than one shot. So, that's what I just finished doing and knock on wood it seems problem-free so far

Mark