How many bytes are in a KB, and how many KB in a MB?

i know how many MB in GB so i dont need to know that.

if there is any other type of measuremet, please tell me and how much of what is in it.

Thanks

-Joseph

1 bit = a single digit, either 1 or 0

8 bits = 1 byte, a combination of 1's and 0's

1024 Bytes = 1 KB (kilobyte)

1024 Kilobytes = 1 MB (megabyte)

1024 Megabytes = 1 GB (gigabyte)

However, in commercial products (such as storage devices, MP3 players, etc.) they will often round down; thus advertising 1 Gigabyte, when in reality they are selling you something that is only 1000 Megabytes (as opposed to 1024).

The other measurement system to be aware of is the IEC/IEEE/ISO[0] binary system:

1 bit = 1 bit (surprise)

1 byte = an arbitrary number of bits

1 octet = eight bits

1 kilobyte (kB) = 1000 bytes

1 megabyte (MB) = 1000 kilobytes

1 gigabyte (GB) = 1000 megabytes

and so on until you run out of SI prefixes

1 kibibyte (KiB) = 1024 bytes

1 mebibyte (MiB) = 1024 kibibytes

1 gibibyte (GiB) = 1024 mebibytes

and so on until you run out binary prefixes

Binary prefixes follow powers of 2^10 (kibi- = (2^10)^1 = 2^10, mebi- = (2^10)^2 = 2^20, etc) and are formed from the first syllable of the corresponding SI prefix (ki-, me-, gi-, etc) followed by -bi, for binary. The abbreviated form is the SI abbreviation (but with a capital K for kibi) followed by i. The pronunciation of the first syllable follows the SI prefix while -bi is pronounced like bee.

[0] IEC = International Electrotechnical Commission, IEEE = Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, ISO = International Organization for Standardization. The IEC and IEEE have formally adopted slightly different versions of the system. The ISO hasn't, to my knowledge, adopted it, but I expect that it will be included in the next revision of the ISO standard for units.

Edited by jcl

Also remember that it makes a difference how you type it as to what it means. CAPS means something different than regular type does.

For instance...kb or Kb means Kilobits, where kB or KB means KiloBytes.

Same for mb, or Mb means Megabits, and mB or MB means MegaBytes.

Whenever the lower case "b" is used it represents "bits" and the Upper case "B" means "Bytes"

This can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE if you use the wrong letter case in some aspects, so keep those straight.

The other measurement system to be aware of is the IEC/IEEE/ISO[0] binary system:

1 bit = 1 bit (surprise)

1 byte = an arbitrary number of bits

1 octet = eight bits

1 kilobyte (kB) = 1000 bytes

1 megabyte (MB) = 1000 kilobytes

1 gigabyte (GB) = 1000 megabytes

and so on until you run out of SI prefixes

1 kibibyte (KiB) = 1024 bytes

1 mebibyte (MiB) = 1024 kibibytes

1 gibibyte (GiB) = 1024 mebibytes

and so on until you run out binary prefixes

Binary prefixes follow powers of 2^10 (kibi- = (2^10)^1 = 2^10, mebi- = (2^10)^2 = 2^20, etc) and are formed from the first syllable of the corresponding SI prefix (ki-, me-, gi-, etc) followed by -bi, for binary. The abbreviated form is the SI abbreviation (but with a capital K for kibi) followed by i. The pronunciation of the first syllable follows the SI prefix while -bi is pronounced like bee.

[0] IEC = International Electrotechnical Commission, IEEE = Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, ISO = International Organization for Standardization. The IEC and IEEE have formally adopted slightly different versions of the system. The ISO hasn't, to my knowledge, adopted it, but I expect that it will be included in the next revision of the ISO standard for units.

Sure wish more folks would use that convention. It makes it easier to keep track of things and avoids confusion.