Besttechie.net Will Be Moving To A Dedicated Server

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'd like to thank Blair of Geeks To Go for hosting me for this long. He's provided a great service to BestTechie.net.

I recently bought a dedicated server in lieu of recent events and the growth of BestTechie; this server will be a good to have in the long run. The site will be moved sometime this week most likely. Of course, since we're moving everything to a completely different server there will be some downtime. I will have to take the site and forums offline. I'm not sure on a specific date or time frame yet, but once I figure it out I will be sure to let everyone know.

B

If you leave enough bread crumbs...i'm looking to follow the trail! Best of luck with the move J...Hey best of luck in everything you do. And the time to enjoy!

i can't thank you enough for what you do!

Edited by echobay

Hopefully we're moving to a nice warm location with no winter? :rolleyes: Anyways, thank you Jeff, for all you do and hope the move doesn't give you any headaches.

Echobay!!! Long time no see! You've been missed!

Liz

Hopefully we're moving to a nice warm location with no winter? :rolleyes: Anyways, thank you Jeff, for all you do and hope the move doesn't give you any headaches.

Echobay!!! Long time no see! You've been missed!

Liz

:lol: Liz, hmm, well the server is located in Germany. Not sure about the weather there...lol

B

:lol: Liz, hmm, well the server is located in Germany. Not sure about the weather there...lol

B

Germany??! Me no sprecken dee doiche....me no spellen it either... Oh well, Germany's beautiful, I'll pack the longhorns and liederhosen. :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim

Cool. For a server debian is a solid choice. Do you have your providers install debian for you, then you do all the configuring using ssh? If you wanted to run a Windows OS, I suppose it would add quite a bit to your price. I would assume you would need a full windows server license.

Edited by shanenin
Cool. For a server debian is a solid choice. Do you have your providers install debian for you, then you do all the configuring using ssh? If you wanted to run a Windows OS, I suppose it would add quite a bit to your price. I would assume you would need a full windows server license.

Basically. They installed Debian Sarge, but I upgraded it to Lenny. Then yeah, I used ssh to apt-get install all the stuff and configure the server. However, to make life much easier to setup sites, dns zones, email, etc. I use programs called Webmin and Virtualmin which basically do what CPanel, DirectAdmin, and Plesk do but it's free.

http://www.webmin.com/

B

Hi Everyone,

The move will be tomorrow (Saturday April 28). I want to start it at around 11:00-11:30 AM. Now, I'm not sure how long it will be take for everything to be completely moved and re-setup. I would like to have the site back online by 1:30 PM if not sooner.

All times are EST.

B

Hey Everybody!

We're BACK! and on the new server too! It took a bit longer than I expected but in the end a good result. I must say I have to give a big thanks to Pierce (once again) for helping me with the mod_rewrite issues. I'm using Lighttpd on this server not Apache, which is what caused a few issues with the previous mod_rewrite. Pierce did somewhere like 100 re-write rules to get everything working properly. So thanks, Pierce!

The site should be fully operational. If however, you do run into a problem or something isn't working right for you, please post it and I will look into it ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.

B

Good job Jeff :thumbsup: Glad to be up and running again.

I do not know what you have to do to move to a dedicated server, but it looks like a lot of work. Really appreciate what you do for us to have a nice home on the net. Thanks.

Barb :D