Today I did my first dc-jack replacement on a Gateway laptop without any help . I plugged in the ac adapter without a battery and it fired right up. A big smile on my face, I was feeling confident. I called my client to tell her it was finished. I talked her into upgrading the ram. I powered it down, unplugged the cord, then added ram. I put the power cord back in, but it would not boot anymore. I removed the ram, but still nothing. I am not sure what went wrong. Their is a chance unplugging and plugging it back in caused it to break my solder joint. I disassembled it again, touched up my solder. I am going to reassemble it now. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks :-) I needed the confidence boost. I always got scared when I would get a call about a broken laptop. Now I will not feel so inexperienced.

It was not to bad. I think as far as laptops go, this one was pretty easy. Their were not all that many parts.

Edited by shanenin
Thanks :-) I needed the confidence boost. I always got scared when I would get a call about a broken laptop. Now I will not feel so inexperienced.

It was not to bad. I think as far as laptops go, this one was pretty easy. Their were not all that many parts.

Flux is your friend,

If I was you and unpluging made it brake the joint, I would remove the jack, clean all old solder off the spot, add flux and new solder so that you have a clean joint. This may prevent returns

even if your solder has flux in it, always put it on the contacts to create a better spread

Edited by iccaros

Many years ago, I worked at a circuit board mfg. We never used rosin-core solder, only 63/37 and flux. Another must have tool is a good rheostat controlled soldering iron, with a lot of tips. Besides that, my best friend is a magnified visor

Mark

I understand the importance of flux, I started soldering copper pipes. Without a clean joint and flux, it would not work. I thought that I read flux is bad for circuit boards, the acid would wreck them. Is flux(not pluming flux) ok to use on all circuit boards?

Edited by shanenin

At the old plant when they had to touch up plated holes in a board, they used a real small artist paint brush and a liquid flux. When I had to repair a board to a machine, they gave me a tin of paste and said it was the same thing. I still use it today. The brand is Burnley's non-corrosive paste. The ingriedients says it contains zinc chloride. I noticed when the inspectors finished a repaiir they would clean it up with some alcohol, so I do the same thing. The main thing is not to use too much flux, which I always do. using the liquid makes that easier to do.They also used Kester solder and flux

Mark

I remember when they used a infared reflow machine, the boards would travel through sponge rollers coated with flux then through the lights and into a tub of soapy water where they scrubbed them clean. I also remember replacing the stainless wire conveyor belt that would be eaten away by the flux more tan once

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, regular Flux will cause damage to the board, don't use it!

Being an x-plumbing & heating contractor I know flux paste well, and there are many different types and mixes.

I also agree that you should stay away from flux core solders, they're less than worthless IMO.

I'd go to one of your local Electronics Repair shops and talk with a tech there to see what they use, I don't know off hand what brand name to use for sensitive electronics circuits, but they're made and available.