Mount Network Samba Drives With Vista

ok, My work XP machine gave up the Ghost

SO I have a MSDN Subscription so I decided I might as well take the time and learn VISTA, and Since MSDN comes with VISTA Ult, and Office 2007 Ult it cost me nothing to use it.

so here is the Issue, they have changes so much of the simple things that its learning curve is steep. I have a 2 TB FreeNAS server that I need to mount. The catch is its SAMBA, no problem under xp , either net use or map network drive works.

all I can find in a google search is people asking how to do this..

thanks

I was runnimg vista beta on my laptop(not anymore), it had no problem finding my samba server. I think I just went to network places, then it prompted me for a password, then it configured my network.

what happens if you enter either the ip or machine name and share name of your samba server in the run command

\\192.168.1.104\share

or

\\machine_name\share

ok its a little complex,

you are right, which is why I thought this should be no problem.

in the Bata it just worked. in the Release some things have changed.

if I type

C:\Users\huskeyw>\\share\huskey

I get

The network path was not found.

so I went to network and typed \\share\share_name and it showed up, I then went back to networks and hit refresh and it let me turn on Network Discovery and showed all my servers on the network. I could then brows and map the drives.

There are some cool things in VISTA, but the bad part is that they are all in the looks, the constent pop us to ask if I really what to do things like Map a drive or install software (all software not just stuff that effects the System, but since they do not install in your home folder all software effects the system)

the changes in the system I believe that Linux systems and Mac OSX systems would be an easier transition.

Plus it is slow I have a Core Duo T2500 @ 2GHZ with 2 gigs of ram and 256 meg Video card, all my scores are 4.5 or greater and the system feel about 20% slower than when I boot XP and 50% slower than Linux (Gentoo)

Getting Wireless to work took about three tries, as the menus made no sense, but once I got to the right place it was simple, it was finding the correct menu Item.

I am glad I did not have to pay for my copy (MSDN subscriptions are great if your boss pays for them)

If I type the path into the command shell it does not work for me either. I get the same error as you. You have to type it into network place, or the "RUN" box, which is hidden on vista, you need to use a key combo to get it.

If I type the path into the command shell it does not work for me either. I get the same error as you. You have to type it into network place, or the "RUN" box

Same here with XP. CMD tells me "The network path was not found" until I browse the shares with Explorer.

(Then it gives me "Access denied" when it really means "CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories", but that's just because CMD sucks.)

CMD tells me "The network path was not found" until I browse the shares with Explorer.

(Then it gives me "Access denied" when it really means "CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories", but that's just because CMD sucks.)

Even if I first browse the shares with explorer, I still get network path not found when using CMD.

If I type the path into the command shell it does not work for me either. I get the same error as you. You have to type it into network place, or the "RUN" box

Same here with XP. CMD tells me "The network path was not found" until I browse the shares with Explorer.

net use works now after I have mounted once with the GUI tool (I guess boot scripts would have a problem the first time)

is that with vista or xp?