Router For Satellite Broadband

You should contact marsh_0x. He has worked with satellite systems for a long time. If it were me I would build a stable PC with Smoothwall or something similar installled. Connect the satellite to that and have a NIC card setup for outgoing to a router to serve the rest of your systems.

You should contact marsh_0x. He has worked with satellite systems for a long time. If it were me I would build a stable PC with Smoothwall or something similar installled. Connect the satellite to that and have a NIC card setup for outgoing to a router to serve the rest of your systems.

A dedicated box just for a home based internet??

A dedicated box just for a home based internet??

If you have an old beater box laying around, why not? They make darn good routers

Mark

any ethiernet router will work (your cable router I guess is just an ethiernet router)

If you have an old beater box laying around, why not? They make darn good routers

Mark

Its complicated, has extra wires, extra noise, extra space, extra electricity... Errr, that's why I went back to a regular router. It's an excellent learning opurtunity though!

Mark

Its complicated, has extra wires, extra noise, extra space, extra electricity... Errr, that's why I went back to a regular router. It's an excellent learning opurtunity though!

???

Extra wires? 1 Cat5

Extra noise? My PC puts out a whole 20-25db. My dog farts louder.

Extra space? 8" x 16"

Extra electricity? 1-2 light bulbs worth.

Mark

???

Extra wires? 1 Cat5

Extra noise? My PC puts out a whole 20-25db. My dog farts louder.

Extra space? 8" x 16"

Extra electricity? 1-2 light bulbs worth.

1 cat5, plus (for me) it was a KVM switch, and two VGA/ps2 harnesses. <<< biggest issue for me

My computer room is already a dull buzz... another PC didn't help

A router cleanly sits anywhere... a small PC case doesnt.

1-2 lightbulbs... ok, wont argue. :rolleyes:

Like I said, its a good learning opportunity, but routers are cheap these days. For the average user a $40 newegg special is fine. Plug it in.. boom.. it works. No set up and trouble shooting required.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Thanks for the replies.

As for using an old computer to make a router, that would not work in this case. The person that this is for can barely operate a toaster. I'll recommend a cable router. I'm sure the installers can set it up.

Joe

Thanks for the replies.

As for using an old computer to make a router, that would not work in this case. The person that this is for can barely operate a toaster. I'll recommend a cable router. I'm sure the installers can set it up.

Joe

Oh, and while I'm at it:

The above application is in the hinterlands of South Dakota. Hence the need for satellite internet.

She is also getting DirecTV television along with internet.

Now I know that DTV insists that you have a phone landline. Does anyone know if they don't require it if you also have their sat. internet?

My friend does not want to have to bring in a landline.

Thanks