Programs Open Outside Of Viewing Area?

Hey gang, I finally broke down and am asking for help. Basically my issue is that I've benn having some programs randomly open outside of my viewing area, and I cannot get to them to move them into view. I've done the "right-click on task bar - move" but I still can move them. (sometimes "maximize" isn't an option). I've done google searches, and I've checked out kelly's-korner but no luck. Any ideas here? It's getting frustrating!

Windows XP Pro

Examples of the latest programs doing this:

calculator

ad-aware SE

UPDATE: Sometimes rebooting will fix it, but not always.

Would a right click on empty spot on desktop, and then a click on refresh, solve it?

Or a setting to center screen the window for opening windows somewhere?

Or is it a monitor setting that got off center I wonder?

Does it happen in all your browsers? But the calculator is a Windows program right?

I hope you find the answer, sounds frustrating.

P.S. Would your system restore be able to take you back to before this started?

And doesn't XP have a repair function or something like that? (I have Win2000).

Did you do anything new just before this started?

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

What happens (if anything) if you right-click the Taskbar and select Cascade Windows when one of these programs is off screen?

-------------------------

I've noticed that some games that temporarily switch the display resolution will scramble my Desktop.

Maybe something like that is scrambling your "window last closed position" data (in the Registry).

hey, are you running a mutifunction system ?????? .....STAY SAFE

What do you mean by a "multifuntion" system?

Curling Steve, it doesn't do anything with that. :(

Sidekickcat - Good to see you again! refresh? Haven't tried it yet, but I will next time. I already looked for a setting for the windows to open within view, but didn't find anything. Monitor settings are all fine, no changes there. It can be ANY program that this happens it. It does it randomly. After the last restart, I haven't had anything act up again....yet. Don't care to do a system restore. I've done that before on the laptop when it was happening there, but nothing changed. Yes, XP has a repair function, but I'd like to see why this is happening first before doing that, but if need be, I shall do so. :)

Thanks everyone.

hey, was just wondering if You have closed some programs, on a secondary monitor, that remember their position. When you move the position of the secondary monitor, those programs may open outside the viewable area.

This will happen with programs that are NOT 'multi-monitor' aware. Microsoft Office 2000 programs are 'multi-monitor' aware, but WinZip 7.0 is not.

was just something i was reading.dont know if it would apply to your problem.

STAY SAFE

Just a suggestion, but you could try a 3d interface of your desktop. that way you will be able to ratoate around the "sphere" and get to programs you can't see, or move back and forth in the depth of the desktop. Most people (including myself) like it for a while, but then I thought it just got annoying. You could give it a shot, see if you like it.

Sphere XP

M@

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a thread on G4 Tech Support, that may have an answer for you.

Several possibilities were given, but the original poster found his answer in Nvidia's options. If you have Nvidia then maybe this will solve your problem. Or some of the other suggestions in the thread. I hope so.

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year to you and yours.

Possible off screen window solution

God bless everyone.

Hitting ALT + SPACEBAR will open the menu you get when you click the icon in the top-left corner.

One DOWN-ARROW then ENTER will start keyboard MOVE (or ALT + M).

Two DOWN-ARROW then ENTER will start keyboard RESIZE (or ALT + S).

The arrow keys now move or resize until you hit ENTER.

Edited by CurlingSteve
  • 2 weeks later...

'Does anyone have any idea why this is happening in the first place?'

a couple of possibles...

1. change in screen resolution or having a virtual screen management scheme with your video card.

2. bad programming - this was not uncommon in the early days of windows programming - but would not seem to be the issue with the programs you mentioned (although some (actually a lot) of the code for MS Calc is ancient).

looks like CurlingSteve hit your nail on the head, nerelda.