I have Ultramon on my laptop and it works great with another pc monitor, but I would like to be able to mirror the monitor onto a tv screen for presentation purposes (much less than a powerpoint projector if I can get it to work). Is it possible? I have a firewire that uses a usb port and I tried to use that, but no go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Renee

I have Ultramon on my laptop and it works great with another pc monitor, but I would like to be able to mirror the monitor onto a tv screen for presentation purposes (much less than a powerpoint projector if I can get it to work). Is it possible? I have a firewire that uses a usb port and I tried to use that, but no go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Renee

Don't you have a S-Video out port? That's the one to use.

:poster_oops: Duh! Ok, did that, I am just getting a black screen. What am I still doing wrong?

Thanks!

Renee

Go into Display Properties ->Settings -> Advanced.

You should be able to select the monitors you want to use there.

You might have to hook up the S-Video cable to the TV and then reboot the computer too.

Not sure about your display card, but that's what I have to do with my nVidia.

BTW, S-Video is only video. You'll have to hook up an audio cable also for sound. Usually 1/8" stereo jack to RCA adapter and then the RCA cables into the right and left audio in on the TV.

I'm still just getting a black screen...I don't know what the problem is...maybe I'm just not going to be able to mirror onto a tv? When I went into properties, it tells me that I am mirroring the laptop, but it's just not showing up, so maybe it's just not going to work. Hmmm

Thanks!

Renee

I'm still just getting a black screen...I don't know what the problem is...maybe I'm just not going to be able to mirror onto a tv? When I went into properties, it tells me that I am mirroring the laptop, but it's just not showing up, so maybe it's just not going to work. Hmmm

Thanks!

Renee

OK. Try selecting the different inputs on the TV. There are usually four if it's a recent TV. Scroll though them with your TV remote.

In other words, you have to make the TV see the S-Video input from the computer.

First off, remember that your TV unless it is a High Def model is going to be limited to standard VGA (640x480) at best and must have the refresh rate set to 60Hz.

Second, most laptops have a key combo to switch from the built in display to the svideo output. It is an "either or" situation, not a dual output like having a dual head video card or two cards.

I think that for your purposes you would do best with a USB video card designed for this purpose.

I know they make them. Just a matter of searching.

Like this [l=http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Video-Card.html]http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Video-Card.html[/l]

[l=http://www.everythingusb.com/tritton_see2_usb_2.0_svga_adapter.html]http://www.everythingusb.com/tritton_see2_usb_2.0_svga_adapter.html[/l]

Although that has standard VGA not S-Video

On most laptops that have secondary monitor outputs, there is usually a key combination (as Pete alluded to) that switches between displays. On my Toshiba laptop I press Fn+F5. The first switch time I do it is for VGA output (D-Sub); the second time is for RCA video output. On a friend's Acer laptop I've noticed that an OSD comes up so you can see which output you are switching to.

If your laptop support simultaneous dual displays (doubt whether it supports simultaneous triple displays) there should be an applet in the Control Panel where you can configure it. This application will allow you make various setting changes, which should be fine by default. It usually sets a display profile for your secondary monitor so you don't have to worry about adjusting screen resolutions and refresh rates every time you switch monitors. You may want to check what it has for S-Video output.

Again, as 'irregularjoe' already mentioned, you have to change the input of your TV so it looks for the S-Video signal (same as you would for a projector). Additionally, you may be required to change the TV channel.

Ok, I think my problem is the firewire I'm using...I think it's used only for capturing? This is what I have http://www.amazon.com/PINNACLE-DAZZLE-DVC-...8398&sr=8-3

I believe I was on the right channel though because when I plugged the s-video cable into the tv, the screen went black and it said "SVHS" or something like that on the tv screen instead of the "AV2" like before. Does that even make sense? It's like the tv knew it was there, but for some reason the screen image didn't go through, if that makes sense. I even changed the channels to see if the screen was showing up somewhere else. It just happened to be the channel that we watch satellite on and I could still hear it but the screen was black.

I'm really dumb with this kind of stuff, but am always willing to learn!

Thanks!

Renee