Has Rap Finally Hit Rock Bottom?

I was flippin through the radio today and came across a rap station. Probably "Homey Jamz 107" or something to that affect. Anyway, I paused to listen to this song. It went somehting like this:

Im hot 'cause Im fly

You aint cause you not

You aint cause you not? What kind of bull #$%@ is this? No offence, but is this what young blacks are listening to these days? Im hot cause im fly, you aint cause you not? Lets put aside the obvious butcher job of the english language, but what the hell does that even mean?

Rap has been going down hill since... well... I think it started at the bottom of a hill and started digging, but this is just ignorant.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest.

I think thats This Song.

Yeah I sort of agree with you about where it's gone. It has gotten a lot more distasteful I've noticed as well..

This isn't to say I don't have a few songs, but most of it is not good at all. Some of it actually is pretty good and clever at times, without using a swear every other word, or degrading women the whole song...

Gym Class Heroes have a few good songs, though its not as 'rappy' i guess is the word.

But yes, it is amazing how low they sink sometimes, I will agree...

I guess there are just some things we won't understand eh?

It's more than young black kids. If I remember correctly over 60% of rap cd's are bought by suburban white teenagers.

Is that because they're the ones with the money?

Haha, kidding!! Bad Bubba, Bad.

Yeah, that's no surprise. Drag em out to the street and shoot em.

I have very mixed opinions about rap. First let me say that I in no way see rap as a form of music. Other than a bass line or drum beat, there is really no music involved in rap. It may be rhythmic, but rhythm != music.

Second, I will never listen to radio rap. Rap on the radio, or on MTV or VH1 is awful, with no exceptions. Like you guys have pointed out, it doesn't even rhyme. The people on these programs have no artistic ability whatsoever, and they are getting paid for the way they dress, the jewlry they flash, and the attitude they can portray.

With all that being said, there is a select bit of rap/hip hop that I will listen to. I like to listen to rap that actually says something. It is easy to find when other musicians take a political/humanistic stance on an issue, but today that is harder to find on the radio. I will also listen to some rap that does not revolve around negative or demeaning subject matters. There is, what you might call 'happy rap' out there.

For example, I could listen to OutKast, Wylde Bunch, Eminem (although which songs I listen to would be very selective. Eminem has, in late years, put some insights into some of his music) and even a little bit of Cypress Hill (not saying that I agree with everything they say either).

Sometime modern rock bands like to include a little bit of rap in their songs as well. When used in moderation, I like that as well (think Chronic Future or even Linkin Park if you must).

Finally, let's just make sure we keep this thread educated and respectful. Wouldn't want to say anything that we might regret later. :matrix:

Matt

Your right MAtt, there is some good rap that cuts off from the Main Stream. Will Smith comes to mind, although he's dissapointed me lateley.

POD also comes to mind. Isn't that a Christian group?

Rap that appears in rock is usally decent. Original and creative.

I really like one song by Will Smith:

Let’s talk about the only reason yo ass went to Miami

(Yup) truck wit rims (check) throw back jersey (check)

champagne bottles (check) lot’s of models (check)

Damn that’s the list for 90 percent of ya’ll videos and songs

Am I wrong

LOST

When you a slave to the biz

Wit no care for the cost of what you sayin to kids

FOUND

Is when ya lyrics are a test of time

And your mom hear that your spirit is blessed divine

LOST

Is when you rhyme til your throat gets sore

But you don’t even believe what you say no more

FOUND

Is when you bleed heart into the mic

And the pain you sustain it can change a life

LOST

Is when you hide behind the freedom of speech

While sure you’re free to do it

But what it mean to do it

Did you mean to do it

Did you need to do it

Did you take time to think about the seeds you ruined

FOUND Is ESCO, dead PREZ and them

FOUND Is Lauren Hill

FOUND Is Rakim

FOUND Can be you

If you felt the message and ask yourself this questioin

Why should I try to sound like ya’ll sound

That’s what’s wrong with the rap game right now

Man, it’s like a circus wit a bunch of clowns

Wit a bunch of clicks I’ll probably rap circles around

I believe I've heared that song Bubba. While reading through this thread, the song Time and Time Again by Chronic Future kept coming to my mind:

Inspiring, shining, rising

And when you're in my way

I'm not dividing me from you cause we're working together

Perfect in its splendor like the currents of the weather

The splinter in my center hindering all of my pleasure

Is me manifested as you in this endeavor

Once responsibility is taken I can render

Experience to be however I want to remember

Put yourself through the scariest of scenarios

Enter experiences you normally wouldn't dare to go

It's all for the character and the arrogant afterglow

Of knowing it's appearance according to your patterns of growth

And what your parents handed down to you to handle

Make sure you carry torches when they're puttin out your candles

Prediction can be unkind but unwind them still

Don't erase the part of you that's responsible for your will

There's some utterly damaged particles to deal with

And if I stutter I'm sorry but it's hard to feel swift

When stuck in my stomach is a cannon ball anchor to lift

I've been pushing it down pretending it doesn't exist

Well this is what happens when you're pissed about being pissed

You dig yourself so deep you resist just to resist

And there's no way to get back experiences you missed

So start right now today and risk furiousness for bliss

To me, this is a very motivating song about living your life to the fullest, because you only live once.

I guess this is a touchy side to take but... coming from a 'suburban white teenager'... I like rap.

I don't believe in half the stuff they talk about, nor agree with some of it.. but that doesn't mean I don't like it.. It all has to do with your personal interests. Rap isn't my favorite genre, however it is one that I listen to a lot. The song doesn't have to be grammatically correct to make sense, it's just the way it comes out. I mean you got the basic riff of what he was saying didn't you? Just because I might like that song doesn't mean I have to socialize like that. I mean I'm using good grammar right now am I not? You don't have to throw someone into the category of 'stupid' just because of the music they listen to.

That is unless of course you meet someone who does talk like that in public on a regular basis... then you call bash them for stupidity all you want. =)

Man are me and TJ gonna be outta place at the Import Alliance Nashville Meet in my Civic. Most of the cars there are gonna blarin this ridiculous crap while me and TJ will be rollin through, blastin Dream Theater, Queensryche, Pagan's Mind (Progressive Metal), Dragonforce (Extreme Metal so called by Dragonforce themselves but really it's just speed/progressive metal), and the Initial D sound track (Eurobeat dance music).

One of my favorite rap/hip hop songs (and I like few, very, VERY few) is the opening theme to Fresh Prince. I didn't mind the old school stuff from the late 80's early 90's. The only other song that comes to mind that I like is Baby Got Back and I only like that song cause I think it is one of the funniest songs I've ever heard.

I am most certainly not a fan of Rap. Too repetitive, makes no sense, and perpetuates stereotypes, not to mention it just sounds like crap to me. Some of it can be ok but very little is to me. Then again, I've grown up listenin to all forms of power rock, classic rock, metal and progressive rock/metal so that's what I stick to.

Also go ahead and hate on me but I despise country music too despite being insanely southern. Everyone out here listens to either rap or country and I can't stand either. It sucked cause that was all that was ever on the radio at work after the old owner left. I nearly went insane. Thank god the radio was taken back by the owner.

IMHO Rap allows music artists who haven't "the voice" to exercise their musical talents which lie elsewhere... as in arranging, dancing, mixing, whateva... though I'm sure there are some with fabulous voice. No problem with that. However, Rap seems to have beatin the horse to death on explicit lyrics and the boom-ditty-boom beats (that are too often the same) that one can hear 3 blocks away... it seems to have grown stale as the disco sound did in prehistoric days.

More creativity in lyrics and sound, and less mean-mindedness might keep the genre alive... though the rap moguls seem to prefer the same-o-same-o to keep their profits up, costs down, and image as smarmy as possible.

This opinion is from someone who grew up in the 50's - 70's and now prefers metal (70's - 80's rock era) and gospel and new age and classical, never identifying with any genre... and may be totally out of touch with this topic. :wacko:

I listen to many type of music from classical to metal but no rap. Will Smith was ok but the majority of rap seems to be shock value sound (I won't call it music). The more outrageous the lyrics the better in most cases seems to be the idea. My son,19 years old, used to listen to it but he has realised how bad most of it is and traded a lot of his cd's with friends for alternative and rock music.

Well I remember my mother complaining about the Stones and similar bands not being music when I was a teenager so I guess that it has gone a full circle.

Perspective people!

"Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, " and "Yeah-yeah-yeah" are some of the more memorable lyrics from a previous generation of music, and the adults lamented the lack of intelligence, the promotion of bad behaviors, and the improper use of grammar then too.

How long has this cycle been happening anyway? :)

That said, I don't like 99.99% of rap. I disagree about the "music" portion being poor, I've heard some of the most awesome music, but it gets completely ruined by annoyingly repetitive second grade rhyming schemes. I can take some rap in a song, but there'd better be some true singing in there.

Regarding content, how they can consistantly pull an Imus and sell millions of records doing it while he gets pilloried is something I don't agree with. It's either offensive all the time, or it's acceptable in context. I admit it's a little strange to watch my nephew groovin' to lyrics that make me angry with indignation or blush with embarrassment.

The only rap I listen to is emanating from the high school kids cars as they cruise by my house. I can hear them starting from the school 5 blocks away. It all sounds like the same crap (boom, rattle, boom). I am waiting for one of them to go by and watch their rear windows explode.

In my day you wanted to hear the sweet mellow roar of the new dual exhaust system and not some foolish tunes overriding it. I would be pleased to see jaws drop when I fired up my hot rod and the ensuing rumble of my well built V-8 shook the ground.

I don't see they can hear that crap any way since their damn trunk lids are rattlin so much. I may have my CD Player cranked but I do hear my car. I can't hear the exhaust cause it's behind me but my AEM short ram Intake allows me to hear my motor and even with the CD Player cranked the sweet Dual cam roar can easily be heard.

A song in any genre is not much if you can't see the story in it. Or if you can't get the "feeling" from it. Iron Butterfly's Inagodavida was a miscommunication over the phone. It was to be "In a garden of eden" but you can get the "feel" of the music. I guess we can thank the Bell phone system for that hit.

M

I'm an old fogey. Do I like rap? not particulary, but I don't care if anyone else listens to it (at a decent volume level). The thing is, I can't stand most of the music I grew up with either. I blame the radio stations. You have 2 or 3 megestations deciding what you will listen to. I swear to God, the station in Cleveland hasn't changed their playlist in 2-3 years. It's the same songs over and over and over.... That's why I'll listen to the college stations. Another thing that bothers me, is who in the heck decided we all want to hear a bunch of babbeling(?) idiots while you drive to and from work? I'd rather hear music.

Mark

Edited by garmanma

I have given up trying to listen to radio stations around here, same playlist each day, just jumble up the order and noone will notice. Then there is 5 - 6 minutes of advertising every 15 minutes. I burned a bunch of mp3 cd's to play in my car, glad JVC makes an in car mp3/ cd player. Then I can listen to the music I want to hear not what the radio station thinks I should listen to. I also agree that Imus is being thrown to the dogs for what he said but rappers can get away with much worse. I am tired of seeing the antiracism only being called in one direction. If a white calls a black person by the "n" word then he is a racist but they can call us spooks and ghosts and get away with it. If the law is there it should be enforced any time it is broken

Just my $0.02 rant

... I can't stand most of the music I grew up with either. I blame the radio stations. You have 2 or 3 megestations deciding what you will listen to. ...

Thank goodness the Chicago area has WXRT 93.1 (it's on the web, but I don't have a fast enough connection so I'm not certain it's play-for-play identical). I started listening to it in high school on the advice of a stoner (it was only a part-time station then) and have, with a few short years of exception, been listening to it ever since (whoa, that's thirty-five years!).

They got politically active there for a while and ticked me off no end, so I tuned out. After getting my fill of pap on all the other stations I kept going back (the longest "break" was when I found a local station with a barely acceptable playlist, but with so much immediately local information I stayed for a long time -- they got bought out by a conglomerate and would have John Tesch or Lisa Gibbons shows with stupid Hollywood crap and stupid, boring music -- Ugh).

I'm back to WXRT and they've been behaving themselves. Their last motto was, "EVERYTHING, in no particular order." So I'd get the BEST of the new stuff, the best of the old stuff, funky stuff, blues, rock, new wave, ballads, movie themes, and on and on. Everything, in no particular order. Half the music I've bought over the years I heard on XRT and nowhere else (and turned others on to those artists -- I wonder how much money the music industry has made because of XRT?). They also support local artists and have broken new ones before they went national (like OK-Go, or remember the Smashing Pumpkins? Cheap Trick, to go way back? There must be dozens of them).

Sometimes they play something that's too peculiar, but you can bank on the next song being awesome, so you keep listening. :)

Edited by JDoors

The wierdest thing I ever heard on college radio was the Music For Lesbians Over Fourty Hour. It was a bunch of chants accompanied by cymbels, bells, chimes and stuff. I listened to a lot of strange stuff back in the stoner days, but that was totally different :blink:

Mark

I quit listenin to the radio a LONG time ago. Hmmm, bout the time I got my first Civic. Let's see. Why was it I quit again? Oh yeah!. That piss ant antenna on the car. My hatchback is the same way. Can't pick up crap with that antenna. We've got 3 stations I can in my dad's truck, my mom's car, and the delivery truck at work (which I have driven for the final time since today was my last day) that I listen to. The Buzz (They play everything that rocks. They play the current hits plus great stuff from back in the day) The Rock (Classic rock that really rocks, from the likes of ACDC and Ozzy to the other greats like Boston and Rush, the Buzz plays a lot of the same stuff plus more) and then Jack FM (Playing what we want. They play anything and everything just about) I like the Buzz the most but it's kinda hard to pick it up in the Civic and then Jack is second but nearly impossible to get in the Civic. the Rock usually picks up the best (still gets bad from time to time) but I've heard everything they play too many times. Occasionally I mosey over to 101.7 WKOM for 60's and 70's. Since it is broadcast from my town I can always get it in town.

But since my Pioneer Premier DEH-P480MP supports MP3 CD's (and my old Pioneer Premier DEH-P470MP did too) I usually burn multiple albums worth of MP3's on a CD-RW to listen to in my car so I don't have to worry with changing CD's to often. So with this wonderful piece of technology, I don't feel the need to listen to the radio much anyway. My favorite stuff doesn't air on the radio often. The only station that plays Queensryche is The Buzz and that's not very often. I don't think anyone airs Dream Theater (songs are too long) or Dragonforce (ditto). Of course no one airs Pagan's Mind (Norwegian) or Poets of the Fall (Finnish). So screw radio, screw rap (and Country, to dadgum many of them craptastic stations), I've got my Prog Metal/Rock on hand and ready to keep me rockin while rollin.

(Thread took a strange turn ... )

Maybe Honda should buy their antennae from Ford? :P

I forgot about one strange fork-in-the-road I took for a while. Found a station that played, essentially, RAVE music. All day long listening to the station was like being at a rave. Party, party, party -- dance, dance, dance. I always hated everything from disco to dance music, but this stuff was awesome (I'm cranking an artist, Orbital, that I discovered on that station as I speak).

That only lasted a couple of months though, the station changed hands and went Hispanic. Arggh! What was I going to do now that I discovered an entire genre of music I love?!?

I still prefer buying that type of music since it all sounds so much fresher than tired ol' rock (well, fresher to ME because I never listened to it before).

Oh, and the ONLY time I listen to the radio is while commuting. I almost forgot how to tune my stereo to FM. :)

Actually I wanna add a high gain S2000 antenna (Honda) to my car.

I've really gotten into Eurobeat dance music recently. I found the sound track to Initial D 4th Stage so my friend and I have been jammin to it in the car. Really makes you wanna go and drive.