Auxiliary Power

About a week ago our town lost main power. We had a massive dump of heavy, wet snow (about 1 1/2 feet in one night). As a result of the heavy snow we had a big landslide just outside of town. The landslide took out the electricity transformer tower that supplies electricity to our small town of 12,000 people. Our power company (BC Hydro) informs us that it will take 3 weeks to repair the tower.

Our town is lucky in that we have two large gas powered generators within the city limits. Our town is now running on auxiliary power from the two generators until the tower is fixed. Our life is normal. The only weird thing I've noticed is that our digital clocks are gaining a minute or two every several days.

I don't like to think what would have happened to us if the generators were not available. :ph34r:

Lucky you! I can't imagine being without power in this cold (our furnace is gas but needs electricity)

I don't think our town has emergency generators or they would have probably kicked on when we lost power for about a week last summer. In our area we should have them, it'd be worth the extra taxes.

Liz

Lucky you! I can't imagine being without power in this cold (our furnace is gas but needs electricity)

I don't think our town has emergency generators or they would have probably kicked on when we lost power for about a week last summer. In our area we should have them, it'd be worth the extra taxes.

Liz

Yes, were are certainly lucky, Liz! :D

Our town bought these generators years ago for this type of emergency. Our small town is geographically isolated in that the only road in to our town is a highway. Our nearest town is 145 KM away. With the landslide and the closure to our airport with the snow we were totally cut-off from the world for a day or two.

Liz

Our town bought these generators years ago for this type of emergency. Our small town is geographically isolated in that the only road in to our town is a highway. Our nearest town is 145 KM away. With the landslide and the closure to our airport with the snow we were totally cut-off from the world for a day or two.

Where in BC are you?

Our town is lucky in that we have two large gas powered generators within the city limits

You are lucky.

Someone in your local government had the foresight to help the community, rather then put the screw to it.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Liz

Where in BC are you?

Hi Joe,

I live in a small town called Prince Rupert which is located right on the North Coast of B.C. Our town had a thriving fishing industry, but, that has mostly collapsed due to declining fish stocks. Our local economy is now on an upswing as a large container port is under construction. The port will be a major transportation hub for goods in North America.

Somebody deserves a medal for thinking ahead!

Agreed. Our town would have quickly become unlivable without power as it is chilly up here. I don't know what we would have done. Maybe move out for a time.