I just bought a router and don't know much about'em. I bought a linksys if that helps. My question is how do I know if its working? And all I did was connect it up. Do I have to configure it in a special way or can I leave it as is ? Thanks for any help

If you're able to go on-line it is working. :thumbsup:

One thing you may consider doing is changing the stock administrator password for your router. I did that with my D-Link router. Your support documentation should explain how to do this. Leaving it as is should also be fine if you're not worried about someone having physical access to your router.

I would just add that when starting a session, hook up the modum first, and then after you see that the icons in your bottom right tray show that your software firewall anti-virus and are running, then hook up the router.

Linksys is plug and play. Most times no need to configure anything.

I would change the password, letters and numbers.

Sometimes the order of boot needs to be closest to the internet first then and routers behind that.

The router should have come with a setup CD and setup manual. Just use that to set it up on a PC that is directly connected via ethernet to the Linksys router.

I too own a Linksys router (WRT54G v2) and it was pretty simple to set up without even using the setup CD. As recommended before, you should change the default username and password. If it is a wireless router you may want to look into enabling encryption or other wireless security measures.