Barbeque Time

Well, the OL invited a bunch of people for an Easter barbeque, and we have the grandkids for the weekend.

So I went and bought a fifteen pound brisket, ten pounds of potatoes for potato salad, ranch style beans and the rest of the fixins.

They were predicting sunny with a high in the mid to upper sixties for Easter all week; cooler than it has been but still good enough.

Then today they said that some of that foul northern weather is comming this way and that it will get down to 36 tonite, high of 43 tommorrow and Sunday only low fifties with morning rain.

Well that is not perfect weather; but I figure it won't stop me from grilling.

So today I trimmed up the brisket (the dogs sure loved that bit, they got all the scraps) and got out my cajun injector kit and injected a jar and a half ( thats 27 oz total) of Kraft Mesquite barbeque sauce into it.

I put it back in the plastic bag, added a cup of apple juice and packed it in the meat keeper to marinate, rotate it every six hours during the day and just before I go to sleep and when I first wake up to get even distribution.

I figure that Sunday, I'll fire up the grill, put some hickory chips in the smoke box and slow cook it for six to eight hours.

Hey , the cold weather will help keep the temp from getting to hot and cooking it to fast.

When the smoke gets going really good , I'll start roasting potatoes on the upper rack for the potato salad; I figure it will take several rotations to get them all cooked up.

Backup plan? Well I can put the brisket in the turkey roaster and do the whole thing in the oven. Won't be able to smoke it though; but hey it will heat the house and make it smell really good.

Then I have forty big wheat tortillas (the fajita size) , plenty of cilantro, fresh peppers, tomatoes and onions,avocados, sour cream , shredded cheese; and more sauce and hamburger buns for those who want beef sandwiches not tex mex style.

I'll still be shoveling. We got hit with 18" of new snow the last two days and more is in sight. I thought I would spend the weekend building a computer for a customer, but I already have it together with XP Home SP1a loaded. NewEgg had the parts to me quick.

Well, the OL invited a bunch of people for an Easter barbeque, and we have the grandkids for the weekend.

So I went and bought a fifteen pound brisket, ten pounds of potatoes for potato salad, ranch style beans and the rest of the fixins.

They were predicting sunny with a high in the mid to upper sixties for Easter all week; cooler than it has been but still good enough.

Then today they said that some of that foul northern weather is comming this way and that it will get down to 36 tonite, high of 43 tommorrow and Sunday only low fifties with morning rain.

Well that is not perfect weather; but I figure it won't stop me from grilling.

So today I trimmed up the brisket (the dogs sure loved that bit, they got all the scraps) and got out my cajun injector kit and injected a jar and a half ( thats 27 oz total) of Kraft Mesquite barbeque sauce into it.

I put it back in the plastic bag, added a cup of apple juice and packed it in the meat keeper to marinate, rotate it every six hours during the day and just before I go to sleep and when I first wake up to get even distribution.

I figure that Sunday, I'll fire up the grill, put some hickory chips in the smoke box and slow cook it for six to eight hours.

Hey , the cold weather will help keep the temp from getting to hot and cooking it to fast.

When the smoke gets going really good , I'll start roasting potatoes on the upper rack for the potato salad; I figure it will take several rotations to get them all cooked up.

Backup plan? Well I can put the brisket in the turkey roaster and do the whole thing in the oven. Won't be able to smoke it though; but hey it will heat the house and make it smell really good.

Then I have forty big wheat tortillas (the fajita size) , plenty of cilantro, fresh peppers, tomatoes and onions,avocados, sour cream , shredded cheese; and more sauce and hamburger buns for those who want beef sandwiches not tex mex style.

Sounds great.

I smoked a duck a few weeks ago in my outdoor smoker.

Out here in THE OVEN aka Phoenix access to the grill is year round.

In fact from June through Sept. you really don't have to even start the grill.........just hang the chicken out on the patio for a few hours. :lol:

Enjoy the feast.

Edited by irregularjoe

oh my...got my mouth watering on this one pete...and made me feel a bit guilty too...here in SoCal we've had good B'q weather pretty much all winter this year...one stint in the low 20's is all...but i'm ashamed to say i've not fired up the Weber once yet...

think i'll clean it up after my daughters track meet tomorrow and slow roast some chickens and turkey for Sunday...

thanx for the inspiration...LOL

wayne

Terrorist will be shoveling, I'll be shivering!

Just reading the warm weather folks' plans made me feel a little warmer, though!.....and hungry!

And wishing all a Blessed, Peaceful, SAFE Easter! Cherrypick your favorites out of the jellybean bag!

Liz

Q'ing up some of this and some of that here. Weather guy just said 60% tonight and around 50% for tomorrow. Highs in the 60's maybe.

Will just pull the pit under cover and deal with the smoke stains later.

On the up side the beer will not get hot fast. I have 8 left over from a crawfish boil a few weeks ago, that should last me the whole day.....unless the wife makes me share with the friends and family coming.

M

I'm the same wiyh Terrorist. It's more spicey chilli weather than anything else. And to think last week it was almost 80

Mark

HAPPY EASTER

Edited by garmanma
MMMMMM BBQ :P

but yea it snowed here to :(

Well, for the first time in over a hundred years of recorded weather history it is snowing in Dallas in April. Yep I just went out and confirmed it, the towercam shots they had on good morning were accurate, that nasty northern stuff is falling out there.

Hopefully it won't cause to much damage; all the trees already have their leaves and fruit trees have already set. The winter season grasses are still active; but the summer grass is greening up and growing.

They also say that today will be a record low high temperature for the month of April.( I actually had to fire up the old Dearborn heater . Sure glad I did not put it up for the season last week as I had planned.) High for tomorrow is now downgraded to fifty.

But the que will go on as planned; just have to do all the eating indoors, and maybe start things off in the oven.

The sad thing is that they are predicting temps in the eighties by Wednesday, but this is the weekend when everyone expects a get together and we have the grandkids.

Hey Joe, I always used to joke that in the Texas summer I could do barbeque on the dashboard of my truck, just put it in a container on the dash and park in the sun all day.

Edited by Pete_C

"Hey Joe, I always used to joke that in the Texas summer I could do barbeque on the dashboard of my truck, just put it in a container on the dash and park in the sun all day. "

I imagine that a Texas dashboard would be more like a slow roast........great for pulled pork, for instance.

Inside a Phoenix car would be better suited for a seered infrared broiler entree.......maybe blackened Mahi Mahi.

:lol:

Ribs on the pit. Laptop outside streaming the tunes wirelessly. Surfing the web. The life of a geek.

Just after 9am, need a beer to sip on......It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

M

Had a brisket cut in to "fingers", soaked in Budwieser and seasoning. Just put those bad boys on the pit. Next time I will let them sleep with Jose' Cuervo and lime juice.

Can you smell it???

Edited by mikex

I was going to order some pulled pork (thanks Joe for the suggestion) at the local BBQ joint a buddy owns for today, but my niece sent an email inviting me over for a ham dinner. I quess the pulled pork will wait until later this week.

I was going to order some pulled pork (thanks Joe for the suggestion) at the local BBQ joint a buddy owns for today, but my niece sent an email inviting me over for a ham dinner. I quess the pulled pork will wait until later this week.

You going by dogsled or snowmobile?

Mark

... High for tomorrow is now downgraded to fifty. ...

Ha! Let's go outside! That's called shorts and sandals weather here, out come the motorcycles and convertibles with their tops down!

Well, it was in the low fifties, barely. And it clouded up a little after noon.

But the que held a steady 250 F . I put a couple aluminum foil pie pans full of hickory chips and covered with foil in under the rack on top of the lava rock (Propane grill) for some smoke.

Needless to say it turned out tender and finger licking good.

Pretty much all gone now.

Made some killer pica de gallo with fresh white bulb onions with the greens still attached, lots of peppers, tomato, cilantro, and a bit of lemon and lime juice and olive oil.

I was up in Dallas this weekend, where was my Invite Pete? :rolleyes::blush:

I got back home today. Neighboor otld me we got 2 inches of snow... in Texas... in April. Amazing.

Sounds like yall had some good food. I bet your neighboors like being near you. hehe

Edited by Bubba Bob

You going by dogsled or snowmobile?

Mark

Snowshoes. She only lives over on the next road.

I was up in Dallas this weekend, where was my Invite Pete? :rolleyes::blush:

I got back home today. Neighboor otld me we got 2 inches of snow... in Texas... in April. Amazing.

Sounds like yall had some good food. I bet your neighboors like being near you. hehe

If I had known you were coming I would have told you to stop by and meet the family and help dispose of some of the grub.