Computer Recycling?

Hey guys,

Ive got around 40 or so computer cases I need to get rid of. These computers have various items inside (ex, motherboards, PCI cards, PSUs, etc) I also have a coupe large servers, monitors, some power back ups, and various other items I need gone. Ive contacted metal recyclers, but most won't take these items. Ive come across no recylcers in this area that will take them.

ANy suggestions on what I can do with this pile?

Thanks

Hazardous waste collection. That's how I got rid of some of my parts. Any of that crap good or even worth wile. Any socket 478 boards? i love having spare parts that are good.

Here in Minnesota it costs .35/pound to recycle computer components and monitors. It is illegal to throw them in your garbage. I usually remove the circuit boards then throw away the case. In my mind it is not an electronic item anymore. Then i just pay to recycle the circuit boards.

Perhaps inquire at local High Schools and see if you can hang a "flyer" in the Computer Classroom? OR if there is a College nearby, their computer lab? If anything's reusable, a Student would figure out a way to reuse it.

Liz

Any private or nonprofit outfits in your area that rebuilds computers from donated used parts for low income folks?

I can't think of the name of the local nonprofit that does that and then loads linux on them to give away, and can't find it right now. Our Metro recycling site used to have it listed, but the site has changed and now I can't easily find things like I used to be able to! Anyhow thought if I could find that outfit's site I could give it to you to email them and ask if they had a counterpart in your area. Oh well I'll look some more tomorrow.

I don't remember where I got this link from, but perhaps it has some helpful info for you.

Resource Recycling

Just found this national link for e-cycling by state.

E-Cycling

Call your local garbage/recycle people and see what they come up with. Also call places like Office Depot, and other office/computer stores, to see if there is a recycle day coming up that they are doing for the community. I think Office Depot held the last one in our area.

Here are another couple of links...don't have time or energy to read all of it.

E-Stewards Responsible E-Cyclers

Here is the page for our Metro Electronics Recycling Page where I got a couple of those links.

(Portland Or) Metro area site for info on electronic recycling

Pat

God bless everyone

Hey Pat, thank you for those links! Im goin through them right now.

Thanks Liz, I joined a local chapter of Freecycle, but the problem with this stuff is most of it is pure scrap. Most of these cases are missing parts, most of the internal components probably dont work. These old servers work, but they suck up way too much electricty by today's standards for the amount of processing power they have. These monitors will probably go fairly fast atleast. Followed by the PSUs.

My local waste control has no way of handling this type of stuff, *that I know of*. Ill probably give them a call just incase.

I strip out the electronic components and plastic from the cases and sell the metal to a scrap yard once I get a load. My local landfill has a section for recycling the electronics. I aslo heard that a new computer store opened not far from me that accepts all old computers that are worthless which they then recycle.

I live in a fairly urbanized suburban area. Once a year they have a "spring cleaning" pickup where they take almost anything, supposedly to help remove fire hazards and general junk.

They don't take computers (you have to call a special number & pay up) so how does this relate to your question?

Well, when you put everything out on the curb the junkers come along and pick out what they want. Guess what's one of the things they'll take? Computers. I put computer stuff out there (even though you're not supposed to) and it's gone before morning (along with many other items).

I'm assuming they're putting it to some use. :unsure:

Twice a year in Cleveland they have a hazardous collection for paint insecticides, and computers, but you know as soon as you get rid of them you're going to need"that" part that you just got rid of :D

Mark

Liz's link remiinded me of the one I was trying to think of last night. Ha!!! Thanks Liz. It's Free Geek!!!

They are sure doing a good job for the community, for those it helps with rebuilt computers complete with Linux installed, and for the environment!!

Instead of the home page, I am first linking to the news and events, because one of the items mentioned a similar outfit in Columbus Ohio...so there might be others across the country too. Sure would be good to have them in many places!!!

Contact info on left side of page to see if they know of other such sites in U.S.

Free Geek news and events page page.

The home page has a video of their operation if anyone is interested.

Main Page for Free Geek

Pat

God bless everyone

Nice idea supported by the community. I wish more of that was going on around here. SB tried to donate some time teaching seniors for our Community Center. Bah! They were soo happy to find someone, had a waiting list, and then the school wouldn't come up with acess to the computer lab. I guess they want the revenue or a teacher to get paid for it.

I Like TT's idea of the curb trick. We get rid of lots of stuff that way. We had an old beat up homemade utility trailer, loaded with "stuff" to dispose of. I put a sign on it in the drive: "Free trailer, but you gotta take all the junk" It was gone the next day.

One man's junk, is another's treasure.....

... "Free trailer, but you gotta take all the junk" It was gone the next day. ...

You're lucky they didn't take the time to unload the trailer making even more work for you.

Reminds me of the joke about gift wrapping your trash and leaving it in your unlocked parked car. Before you know it, your trash is gone! :D

From the E-Cycling site I found that all of the transfer stations in my county accept old electronics which includes computers and monitors. Now all I need to do is make room in the back of my truck and load the junked parts. I think I can reclaim one 9 x 10 room if I get rid of it all. Heck I might even find my kitchen table.