Ubuntu Install Problem

A friend gave me a Ubuntu 6.06 disc and showed me the basics. I know the disc works because we tried it on my roommates computer and it loaded.

The problem is when I try to install it on my computer, it gets to the install screen but after you select the install the screen goes blank then reads something to the effect - Linux kernal unpacking. But it just stops there. The disc stops spinning and there is no HD activity.

Before coming here I tried Google but can't really find anything. I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue with my AMD Athlon 64 CPU. I don't know.

My system specs. are: AMD 3700+ Athlon 64, 2GB of RAM, MSI K8NGM2 mobo (using integrated video) and a Seagate 400GB HD with 3 partitions (2 windows and 1 not formated). The non-formatted partition is where I was going to install Ubuntu.

Any help would be appreciated

I don't remember but I think you will need a version for AMD 64.

If this is the case and I think it is you may want to use the beta 7 version it should be out of beta soon if you want to wait. But ubuntu 7 is a real ready for prime time distro thats geared to windows switchers.

Edited by isteve

You would still want to run the 32 bit version of Ubuntu, just like windows the 32 bit version is more compatible with software and drivers. The athlon 64 processor will run fine with that OS, just like it does with 32 bit Windows XP.

If Ubuntu allows you to choose a text mode install, try that. You may also have better luck with the newest version available.

Edited by shanenin

Further to isteve's and shanenin's excellent advice you can also try the alternate iso for Ubuntu. Once in awhile I'll go to try and install Ubuntu and encounter hardware issues. If the text mode install doesn't work as shanenin suggested try and download the alternate iso for Ubuntu 6.10 (current release) or the alternate iso for Ubuntu 7.04 beta. The alternate iso is more forgiving of different hardware configurations.

Good luck! :D

I tried the 64 version, 6.10 but it won't install on this computer. It will load on my roommates computer.

Okay. Then you've determined that there's nothing wrong with your Ubuntu installation media. Your computer won't support Ubuntu. You could also try Mandriva One which is another live CD. See if your computer will boot that distro, if your hardware checks out you should be good to go and you can install Mandriva. Another user friendly distro is Open Suse.

Mandriva One

Then you've determined that there's nothing wrong with your Ubuntu installation media. Your computer won't support Ubuntu.

The alternate iso you recommended may work, or possibly just using the text install. I would try those first before giving up on ubuntu. I would also stick to with the 32bit version, it is much better supported.

The alternate iso you recommended may work, or possibly just using the text install. I would try those first before giving up on ubuntu. I would also stick to with the 32bit version, it is much better supported.

Yes, you're right, shanenin:-) The alternate version of Ubuntu is very good at identifying hardware. Agreed. Stick with the 32 bit version of Ubuntu. If the Alternate version of Ubuntu fails to boot then move on to either Mandriva or Suse.

http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/ub.../releases/6.10/