Items In Add/remove Programs

Copy and paste from Son's email :)

"Hey, I'm going through my "add-remove programs" list, and there's a lot of things that I either never use, would never want to use, or are just plain annoying. So I'm wondering if you could ask your besttechie's and ask them if I can delete the following:

Classic Phone Tools

Dell Support

Dell Support 5.0.0 (766)

Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2003

Microsoft Money 2003

Microsoft Money 2003 System Pack

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002

Modem Helper

And two things recently appeared on my computer, and I don't believe I need either one of them, nor do I really want them on my computer unless their helpful to something I own, and those are:

Apple Software Update (I don't think I own anything made by Apple)

Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0"

OK, I'm thinking of telling him to keep the DellSupport items just in case he ever needs them (if I remember right, at that time the techs could "remote assistance help someone" if necessary)

And the Modem Helper because we have Cable

The Microsoft stuff was bundled with MS Office--removing them won't mess up MS Word, will it (I think that's the only part of Office he uses)

I wrote back to him asking exactly how the Apple thing and Adobe thing are showing up, as in "nag bubbles" or in Programs and waiting for him to answer.

Thanks in advance!

Liz

Edited by blim

Hi Liz,

IMO you can get rid of the items you want. You will save yourself some space. Don't you just love all the "STUFF" they put into the bundles. You might want to do a defrag afterword.

Take care,

Pat

If the computer is out of warranty get rid of the Dell Support items. The Apple stuff may relate to iTunes or Quicktime. He may use either or both. Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0 may be useful for editing photos and storing them. All that other stuff that came with Office is limited use and can be removed.

Terrorist, he just replied to my email barking about startup items and yes, he HAS Quicktime, so now we know where that Apple thing came from!

And I will tell him to get rid of Dell Support--he gets "worthless help popups" from it and has slow DSL so they muck up his surfing.

Sending him the link to MikeLin's Startup Control for the startup items, too :thumbsup: .

He must be bored tonight or avoiding homework if he's fiddling with the idiotbox (cross fingers that he doesn't completely muck it up!)

Thanks!

Liz

:D No Mike, NOT IT Tech! But I have experts at my fingertips :D

Mark, I think the Modem Helper was there before he took the idiotbox to school, so I think it was bundled with Charter Cable. And he lives off campus, BUT it could still be something to do with the College Network. I'll ask him

Liz

I've used this Tool on my sisters Dell Laptop and a friends Desktop. Works good.

I like how it will 'Run Registry Entries'=Meaning that it will remove unnecessary startup programs from starting up when the PC Boots.

"The PC De-Crapifier is designed to remove a specific list unwanted software in an unattended fashion. Before running, the user may select exactly what software should be removed. Currently, it is targeted for use on most Dell machines; however it will theoretically run on anything that has the software listed in link."

The PC De-Crapifier Home Page

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

-------------------------------------

Blog Archive » PC De-Crapifier

http://www.yorkspace.com/2006/08/62

From ^Blog Archive^ link.

I’d like to just highlight the last item on the list. The first time the PC De-Crapifier runs on a machine it will take a snapshot of RUN and UNINSTALL registry keys before it does anything. It saves this information to: c:\pc-decrap-reg.txt. If you have a brand new out of the box PC and you’ve run the De-Crapifier, but there’s still extra “goodies†that you think should have been removed, please zip and send the c:\pc-decrap-reg.txt file along with the name of the program(s) to: pcdc at yorkspace dot com. This will be particularaly helpful to improve the program. Especially if you have a non-Dell PC I could really use some more data.

hi liz a good idea if he is going to delete

is to do it in safe mode

then if any appli is attached to a dll file in

safe mode it safe guards that dll file

many times when we delete

all of a sudden the message appears

so and so file is missing

so safe mode stops this

marty