Wonky Mouse/keyboard Issue In Latest Firefox

I've updated to the latest Firefox release and my mouse and keyboard act sluggish / hesitant or just plain wonky when I type or scroll through a page.

I've resorted to using IE6 (shudder) in tandem today because both mouse and keyboard act normally.

Any ideas on how I can get Firefox to behave?

Bobby:

Take a look here at Mozilla Forum. People having similiar problems with FF 2.0.02 and 2.0.03. Maybe a new profile will help.

Mozilla Forum

I have had slow loading pages since last 2 updates. Just too lazy to try new profile, but everywhere I read it seems to correct a lot of things.

Barb :unsure:

Here is the beginning of the forum, just read some of the similiar problems and see if some may help your situation.

Mozilla Forum Beginning

Edited by bar5
Bobby:

Take a look here at Mozilla Forum. People having similiar problems with FF 2.0.02 and 2.0.03. Maybe a new profile will help.

Mozilla Forum

Mozilla Forum Beginning

Thanx Bar5 !

Looks like what I'm experiencing. I'll check into my extensions and so on. Right now it's just a nuisance.... though I've pounded the keys a bit hard a few times :blush: I'll keep Besttechie on IE6 for now and keep my Firefox tabs on less important 'stuff' :thumbsup: until resolved.

Bobby:

Mozilla Forum

Mozilla Forum Beginning

Thanx Bar5 !

Looks like what I'm experiencing. I'll check into my extensions and so on. Right now it's just a nuisance.... though I've pounded the keys a bit hard a few times :blush: I'll keep Besttechie on IE6 for now and keep my Firefox tabs on less important 'stuff' :thumbsup: until resolved.

2.0.0.1 works fine for me. Haven't tried 2.0.0.2 or .3

have ya restarted your system since your latest update. I don't remember having trouble with either my lappy or my gaming rig but both have been restarted multiple times since the last update (particularly the lappy).

No lag on the latest FF for me but did have an issue earlier with scrolling...I guess the word would be "wonky".

I thought it was something to do with my mouse but I changed nothing and it seemed to correct itself.

Yeah, you're right, t0c. I wrote the wrong term, I should have said scrolling not lagging. Sometimes when a page has loaded it gets stuck for a bit and I can't scroll up or down. It corrects itself after a few moments. Weird. :unsure:

have ya restarted your system since your latest update. I don't remember having trouble with either my lappy or my gaming rig but both have been restarted multiple times since the last update (particularly the lappy).

Yeah... restarted many times. The prob seems most prevalent as hitest stated:

Yeah, you're right, t0c. I wrote the wrong term, I should have said scrolling not lagging. Sometimes when a page has loaded it gets stuck for a bit and I can't scroll up or down. It corrects itself after a few moments. Weird.
However, I also will get a lag sometimes when typing (as in responding to forum topics or Google queries).

I've made sure all my extensions are working and are updated (eliminating extensions I no longer want).

It might be a limitation of my box and how Firefox deals w/ loading data... I'm still using Win98SE w/ only 192 MB ram.

I may check out Opera again (for the third or fourth time) to see if the problem is there as well. I keep coming back to Firefox over Opera - although my reasons... je nais se quoi (except for a mail client problem in the past).

Thanks to all who have contributed.

• 1 month later...

... never did get Firefox 2 to behave after trying just about everything. Recently read an article via Digg on Firefox 2 bloat and some of the problems plaguing users that pretty much turned the tide on what I was going to do about it. I've been using IE6 and Firefox in tandem, being unhappy with both for one reason or another.

Another wonkyness with Firefox I had been having was that I couldn't scan with a^2 and have Firefox running (can't imagine why). a^2 would detect Firefox and direct me to close Firefox down or it wouldn't scan at all, though I could do my (hourly ;) ) update.

Again, those with more robust systems probably wouldn't have seen these problems that I've had with Firefox as it appears to be a memory issue more that anything that the bloatiness would affect on my aging Win98se box.

Well, I've gone back to Opera (third go round) and the latest distro works fine by me... scrolling and mouse movement AND I can scan with a^2 while surfing in Opera (yay!). That Pirillo guy recommended Maxthon as a browser in the article I read, but maybe another time.

Also my besttechie experience has been improved in using Opera over Firefox (for some reason I could only answer or contribute in Fast Reply mode only for the last couple of weeks [go figger]). It probably was something I did to create that gaff... but now it's not an issue... (sweet !)

Now if I could only get Adaware and Spybot to cooperate with online updates (sigh).

Edited by bobbynichols

i have ubuntu 7.4

and and i found firefox wont launch until after 3-4

attempts

have i got things wrong

or is the latest version

acting up

as ime not normally a firefox user

with xp

but it comes by default with ubuntu

and i have to use it ready or not

ime ready to use another browser

but ide like to give firefox another go

as like bobby

ime ready for any advice

so ile watch bobbys thread with interest

marty

Edited by martymas
  • 5 months later...

Firefox latest update 2.0.0.8:

Still wonky... still lagging with mouse and scrolling on my WIN 98SE box while a page is rendering - but maybe not as bad as it was; and seemingly ok after waiting for the page to complete. Not an issue with Opera.

a^2 (a-squared free) still asks to close Firefox when scanning, but will update properly. Not an issue with Opera.

Also, my besttechie experience with Firefox still only allows me to answer or contribute in Fast Reply mode for some reason at the end of the thread (ie: I cannot answer to a specific post)... weird. Not an issue with Opera.

... staying with Opera.

i have ubuntu 7.4

and and i found firefox wont launch until after 3-4

attempts

have i got things wrong

or is the latest version

acting up

as ime not normally a firefox user

with xp

but it comes by default with ubuntu

and i have to use it ready or not

ime ready to use another browser

but ide like to give firefox another go

as like bobby

ime ready for any advice

so ile watch bobbys thread with interest

marty

Yeah, I got the new update this morning and had some issues until I closed preloader, cleared cache and history and restarted.

It seems better now, but I will wait.

Have you tried changing your smooth scrolling settings in tools / options / advanced / general.