OK I have a linksys WRTG54 V2.2 and I am having issues of my DSL staying online. I am wondering if Connect on Demand : Max Idle Time should be checked. The help says I should be able to put in 0 for it so it stays connected but I can only put in 1-9999. So I put a check mark in Keep Alive : Redial Period So what things should I do? I want things to not keep dropping because it is a huge pain to make sure it comes back in several seconds some times minutes.

First go straight from your DSL modem to your computer and surf with the same habits you would as if going through the linksys. This will tell if the DSL is dropping or the linksys.

If the linksys is acting as the DSL modem then I set the ones I install to Keep Alive with the time at 30 seconds, this is the lowest that it can be set. Also check your LAN settings for DHCP lease time. set it to forever or what ever the max may be. You can get around the dhcp thing by manually configuring your machine(s) with a static ip address.

On a final not check the firmware, if there is a newer version it will not hurt to upgrade it, but you may have to reconfigure the router afterwards.

Keep us posted.

M

I have done all that you said before I wrote this. I have the DHCP set now to 9999 so they should never expire. I also think since I have a switch installed in there, that might also be effecting things too, or again maybe not. It said that I should be able to switch Keep Alive to 0 but it only allows for 20 here. I am wondering if there is a hack for me to setup to change that around.

First go straight from your DSL modem to your computer and surf with the same habits you would as if going through the linksys. This will tell if the DSL is dropping or the linksys.

If the linksys is acting as the DSL modem then I set the ones I install to Keep Alive with the time at 30 seconds, this is the lowest that it can be set. Also check your LAN settings for DHCP lease time. set it to forever or what ever the max may be. You can get around the dhcp thing by manually configuring your machine(s) with a static ip address.

On a final not check the firmware, if there is a newer version it will not hurt to upgrade it, but you may have to reconfigure the router afterwards.

Keep us posted.

M

Search for google for openwrt and dd-wrt

I have not played with any of these so I could not answer any questions about them.

I will guess you have more than one computer on your network because you have a router and a switch.

Does the connection drop for all machines on the network?

Check the nic, is it set to shut down to save power? If so uncheck this.

The switch is only relaying the data, I would not think it will affect keep alive status.

M

Yes I have 6 PCs on my network with a print server. The connection drops on all of them.

Search for google for openwrt and dd-wrt

I have not played with any of these so I could not answer any questions about them.

I will guess you have more than one computer on your network because you have a router and a switch.

Does the connection drop for all machines on the network?

Check the nic, is it set to shut down to save power? If so uncheck this.

The switch is only relaying the data, I would not think it will affect keep alive status.

M

Also, I notice I am getting in Windows, TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts. Is this also a sign of something?

Just thought of this, is the log enabled on the linksys? Could help to point out the issue.

So are you thinking that with me having 4 file servers and and 1 desktop and 1 labtop could be shutting down the traffic from my ISP?

Linky

Your ISP may be shutting down if the connections are exceding limits set in their firewalls.

If you had only one computer connected straight to the DSL modem it will not disconnect correct.

M

It is a possibility....

The ISP firewall may see it as a virus or spam traffic.

I have my neighbors linksys wireless router. I set it for connect on demand and it would not reconnect right off. I set it for 20 sec. keep alive and will try it out through out the day.

M

OK that sounds good with the router. I will call up my ISP and see what the deal is. I think it can't be to much since there are businesses that have the same type of DSL as I do and they don't loose connection.

It is a possibility....

The ISP firewall may see it as a virus or spam traffic.

I have my neighbors linksys wireless router. I set it for connect on demand and it would not reconnect right off. I set it for 20 sec. keep alive and will try it out through out the day.

M

I have not had a problem with the linksys today. I run speedtest multiple times and then left it to sit for a few hours then connected and surfed wirelessly with no problems.

The DSL with businesses may be provisioned differently unless you have a service level agreement same as the business mentioned.

I am running out of ideas......sorry.

M

OK so what setting did you have for your Linksys?

I have not had a problem with the linksys today. I run speedtest multiple times and then left it to sit for a few hours then connected and surfed wirelessly with no problems.

The DSL with businesses may be provisioned differently unless you have a service level agreement same as the business mentioned.

I am running out of ideas......sorry.

M

The router was configured for PPPoE. Max idle time was 9999. LAN lease was forever. Enabled remote admin, changed default port of remote admin log in.

Everything else was default.

Oh it was a wireless router. SSID changed and encrypted with 128 WEP.

M

hum. I wonder what is happening with my unit then? I mean I have it set like you have but my lease time is 9999 here since that is the only thing I could config it to. I have WPA2 on and all is fine there.

The router was configured for PPPoE. Max idle time was 9999. LAN lease was forever. Enabled remote admin, changed default port of remote admin log in.

Everything else was default.

Oh it was a wireless router. SSID changed and encrypted with 128 WEP.

M

Any chance of having another router on hand to put in line to check against?

Pro'lly not since you would have done that already.

Save the config file, then reset to factory defaults, run like this for a while to check. Do you have lots of connections to the servers? You mentioned the connections before, I was wondering if users were actually logging in and working in the servers.

M

No see there is nothing open to the outside world. I open VNC ports every now and then but mainly not anymore since I use logmein.com for everything now. So I am not sure how people could have could have connected to the servers when there is nothing open. I have checked with other routers but so far they equal same problems.

Any chance of having another router on hand to put in line to check against?

Pro'lly not since you would have done that already.

Save the config file, then reset to factory defaults, run like this for a while to check. Do you have lots of connections to the servers? You mentioned the connections before, I was wondering if users were actually logging in and working in the servers.

M

Well RMAing it is possible but it would cost me more to RMA it then it would for me to just buy a new router.

The only thing I can say now is to break out th pen and paper and log every time it drops and for how long. You may have a chance to RMA the unit.

M

Sometimes new official Linksys firmware have issues too. I too have a Linksys WRT54G (v2) and ever since I discovered I could use 3rd party firmware I've never went back to official Linksys firmware. I've settled with using Sveasoft Alchemy (final release) and it works pretty well on my cable connection. The router stays on 24/7 on a 3-PC network and VoIP line and is quite stable. I have it set up so that all the desktops have static LAN IPs and laptops connect by automatically obtaining LAN IPs.

'mikex' suggested this before, but you may want to look into using the DD-WRT firmware. It "exposes" a lot of hidden features of your WRT54G router and can also lead to more stable connections. Make sure you get the version specific to your version of the WRT54G if you do decide to flash. Furthermore, I've found that the "mini" versions of DD-WRT allow for faster router response. I've used DD-WRT on my Motorola WR850G wireless router and have been able to successfully use it as a wireless bridge. The help file is quite useful and I'm sure you will be able to find what you are looking for.

Well I just installed DD-WRT and I can not even get into my router now. I am supposing now it is a paper weight since I can't get into it now. I got into it via telnet but can't do anything with out commands. So how does one go back to other firmware?

Sometimes new official Linksys firmware have issues too. I too have a Linksys WRT54G (v2) and ever since I discovered I could use 3rd party firmware I've never went back to official Linksys firmware. I've settled with using Sveasoft Alchemy (final release) and it works pretty well on my cable connection. The router stays on 24/7 on a 3-PC network and VoIP line and is quite stable. I have it set up so that all the desktops have static LAN IPs and laptops connect by automatically obtaining LAN IPs.

'mikex' suggested this before, but you may want to look into using the DD-WRT firmware. It "exposes" a lot of hidden features of your WRT54G router and can also lead to more stable connections. Make sure you get the version specific to your version of the WRT54G if you do decide to flash. Furthermore, I've found that the "mini" versions of DD-WRT allow for faster router response. I've used DD-WRT on my Motorola WR850G wireless router and have been able to successfully use it as a wireless bridge. The help file is quite useful and I'm sure you will be able to find what you are looking for.