Hi. Haven't been around awhile because the computer's running pretty smooth (thanks to your help in the past :) ) However, I have recommended your site to several people with spyware problems. I hope they came here for help instead of trying it by themselves. Well, all I can do is recommend...what they do is up to them.

Anyway, I'm trying to clean a bunch of crap out of my computer, and have done all the manual stuff. Now, all I have left is index.dat. I've read that it's a simple procedure in 98SE, but all I can find are tutorials for XP (I tried your search feature).

What I've read is that I can boot into MS DOS and clear them out with the command line. Problem is, I've never booted into MS DOS mode, and don't know what commands to enter. I've also read that if I delete the index.dat folder, windows will create a new, empty one the next time I log on. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks for any help....

CCleaner will delete the Index.dat. Be careful of what you check for cleaning when setting it up. When downloading it uncheck the Yahoo Toolbar option. Also if you attempt to run the Issues option beware of what is on the list before allowing the fix. Always allow it to backup. Create a folder in My Documents for CC Backup. If something is broken you can just double click the backup file to restore it.

Now, just one more question. This worked great in 98SE. Now, I find I might be getting a used computer from a friend with XP on it. Will Ccleaner work the same for it? Should anything be done differently? If I get this, I want to get rid of all the index.dat, temp files, etc. from a previous user (I don't care about viewing them...just want to get rid of them). Thanks for any help :)