Homeward Bound: Moving Out And Home

I just figured that I would share some GOOD news with my BT "family" :thumbsup::matrix:

On March 30, 2006, I handed in my Apartment keys and moved to the north end of the city, in preparation for The Barre (VT) Housing Authority to convert 4 units of "shared housing" into 2 fully Wheelchair accessible units. This project broke ground on October 2, 2006, and has been ongoing ever since then.

On March 13, 2007, I was informed by BHA that my move out date had been scheduuled for Friday, March 23, 2007 at 9AM. Preliminary indications are that the unit is almost ready, and today I was able to obtain my signed lease, and a set of unit keys. The NEW apartment boasts a new Living/dining area, a galley kitchen, LARGE Master Bedroom (a 1 Bedroom), a large Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom, rollin shower, Handicapped sink and toilet.

This is a dream come true, and I am pumped as hell to move in over there - I went in, looked around, and MAN that place is cool ;)

Wish me luck!!

Brian

Very Nice! Congrats on the new "pad". Looking forward to those pictures :thumbsup:

Thanks Bubbabob - I am still running on adrenelin from this morning - I don't think I will be able to sleep for 2 days :blink:

Brian

Nice door :D:thumbsup::D

Seriously, fantastic news, Brian! Good luck with the move

Liz

Liz:

Thanks *hugs*

If you think the DOOR is cool - You aint seen nuttin yet my dear - This place makes my old handicapped unit look like a closet :) - best thing is - I have my best friend next door in Unit #104 - and I don't have to share a living room, kitchen or anything: I am completely self contined:

Sink: Single Bowl, chrome brushed faucets w/sprayer

Stove: Kenmore, fully digital control panel with burner knobs

Refrig/freezer: Kenmore, Side by Side, with ICE and WATER dispenser in the DOOR

Floors: Bare

Bath: Roll in shower, Handicapped Toilet, sink and shelves all over the place *YES*

Closets: One Main closet, One bedroom closet, one linen, one kitchen - all with wire rack shelves *YES*

Cable Outlets: One in Master Bedroom, one in LR

Phone jacks: Single Jack (Gonna INSIST that they change to double so I don't have to Micky Mouse the setup - I have DSL, and need to have a double jeck system - they approved my request then did this BS :angry: ) in Master Bedroom, and Single Jack in LR.

Safety: CO and Smoke alarm combo in LR and fire strobes in BR, Bath and LR - assume Fire Extinguisher is coming :> Pull cords for emergency door release in BR and Bath.

What can I say - PARADISE - and I get my HOT shower too damnit!! heheheh ;)

Brian

Edited by baker7

You need to edit your post to say sink is single "bowl", not "bowel" :D :D

And I sure know what you mean by appreciating a HOT shower! When I was growing up, whenever the power went out (which is a LOT in Windy West Michigan!) we lost water, too, because we had a pump, not city water. Can't count how many times I had to go to school early so I could shower in the icky lockerroom! Hot running water is the best invention yet! Love having citywater and gas water heater since I made Hubby move into town! Now if the lights go out, so what, we have candles for light and I can still have a HOT shower! :thumbsup: Heavenly!

Sounds like you have lots of storage space, lucky you! I live in a Victorian home and closets weren't invented back then.

And as far as a fire extinguisher, they're cheap, about $5. If you don't get one, buy one! And hope you never have to use it!

Liz

Edited by blim

Baker7,

Congratulations on the new place!

I had a bad accident two years ago and was wheelchair bound 6 months, then crutches and now a cane.

I can well understand the need for handicaped facilities and living quarters.

Again, good luck with your new place!

Papa

You need to edit your post to say sink is single "bowl", not "bowel" :D :D

And I sure know what you mean by appreciating a HOT shower! When I was growing up, whenever the power went out (which is a LOT in Windy West Michigan!) we lost water, too, because we had a pump, not city water. Can't count how many times I had to go to school early so I could shower in the icky lockerroom! Hot running water is the best invention yet! Love having citywater and gas water heater since I made Hubby move into town! Now if the lights go out, so what, we have candles for light and I can still have a HOT shower! :thumbsup: Heavenly!

Sounds like you have lots of storage space, lucky you! I live in a Victorian home and closets weren't invented back then.

And as far as a fire extinguisher, they're cheap, about $5. If you don't get one, buy one! And hope you never have to use it!

Liz

Liz: Edit complete: thanks for correcting me ;)

Brian

All righty! A home you CAN live in. Best of luck and enjoy. Sure is nice your friend is next door too. I helped build several wheelchair ramps here in the Z00 and was taken aback by the overwhelming thanks we got from the folks that were in so dire need.

I am so happy for you having a nice remodeled apartment home to move back into and to enjoy! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I took a look at the Washington Apartments link from the housing authority link, nice looking place outside!!! Is that a park across the street? And a pretty church with it's tall steeple next door, what denomination?

I am glad your best friend will be next door, it's always nice to have friends nearby.

Pat

God bless everyone

I am so happy for you having a nice remodeled apartment home to move back into and to enjoy! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I took a look at the Washington Apartments link from the housing authority link, nice looking place outside!!! Is that a park across the street? And a pretty church with it's tall steeple next door, what denomination?

I am glad your best friend will be next door, it's always nice to have friends nearby.

Pat

God bless everyone

Pat:

Thank you for your well wishes!! I actually landed at Washington Apts. about 12 NOON on 3/23. The only major problem encountered was a miscommunication with Verizon about sending a Tech out here to look at the new setup - They thought that they could just "Flip a Switch for everything in my old unit" at the office, and I would have dialtone - WRONG - I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday without a landline phone, but had my cell on all weekend - I also had a full house on Friday and Saturday, but we managed all right - I had to get my mail from the mailman for 2 days because I didnt have my mailbox key, and there was a couple things I think I left at the manor, but I can retrueve them later.

This place is a PALACE - I have friends here, most of them laugh and joke about how they want to move down here, and all, but I have another friend who is disabled, and he has been trying to get a door widened for him since he has no legs - seems like he is taking it out on me because BHA cannot accomodate his request - widen a door to 36" because the age of his apartment won't allow it - he complains that they spent money down here, but won't do a thing up here, and he says Hes disabled WHAT the HELL am I - Chopped liver. and not disabled? - sheesh!! I reported this to the Tenant Services Director - He NEEDS to contact them, and not bitch me out - I have the right to ask for accomodations too

Maybe its just me, but it seems like Washington has changed a little too much Calvin and I have lived here 10+ years and we have paid our dues by living in a shared situation - I have noticed that it appears "dead" down here - not good - maybe after the June Election Cycle, it will be better - I am glad to be home, Calvin is happy, and laughing and it makes ME happy to see him again - and we BOTH get CLEAN HOT SHOWERS - YES!! :matrix:

Yes, Pat - That is City Hall Park - Because Barre's City Hall is right across from the park (on the left side of the street) They have concerts and other activities in the park during the summer, and our annual Barre Homecoming Days is a treat Barre City Website - The Granite Capital of the World

The church you refer to is a Congregational Church - The First Congregational Church to be exact - very beautiful place - we also have the public library next door too heheheh ;)

Take Care Everyone ;)

Brian

Hello Brian,

Glad you are moved back in and enjoying your new place!!!

This place is a PALACE - I have friends here, most of them laugh and joke about how they want to move down here, and all, but I have another friend who is disabled, and he has been trying to get a door widened for him since he has no legs - seems like he is taking it out on me because BHA cannot accomodate his request - widen a door to 36" because the age of his apartment won't allow it - he complains that they spent money down here, but won't do a thing up here, and he says Hes disabled WHAT the HELL am I - Chopped liver. and not disabled? - sheesh!! I reported this to the Tenant Services Director - He NEEDS to contact them, and not bitch me out - I have the right to ask for accomodations too

Your friend sounds like he is a bit jealous of your nice place while his complaints go unanswered.

They definitely need to do something for him too. And structurally I don't see why they can't widen a door...just make a bigger opening (do jack supports for overhead weight if needed) while adding the right size header to support the ceiling weight over the new opening, and add a new bigger door!!! Gosh we are amateurs at remodeling our old house and have changed out doors and windows to bigger ones many times. Only one we had done professionally was when we opened up part of the living room/hallway...right under roof ridge so needed a pro on that job. They put in either a 14 or 16 foot long (can't remember which so many years later) huge header and rested it on 4x4's at either end...but we had to redo one 4x4 (because they wouldn't correct it) by replacing it with a new one because first one so warped and crooked we couldn't put up a flat wall against it. For the amount of money they charged us they should have done it right or fixed the problem!!! Grrr!!

So your friend should keep on pushing the housing authority to do the new door(s) on his place, and have the grace to be happy for you too. Though I can see how he might feel bad for himself at the same time.

Yes, Pat - That is City Hall Park - Because Barre's City Hall is right across from the park (on the left side of the street) They have concerts and other activities in the park during the summer, and our annual Barre Homecoming Days is a treat. The church you refer to is a Congregational Church - The First Congregational Church to be exact - very beautiful place - we also have the public library next door too.

Let's see...a park (with free concerts!!!) across the street, a church next door on one side and a library on the other....only thing missing would be an ocean view...otherwise it would be my idea of Heaven on Earth!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pat

God bless everyone

Well, here it is thursday March 29th - I have most of the functional areas restored to rediness, the computer is up and running on dialup service, the DSL will be restored on 4/5, and the number of boxes I have unpacked has been stedily increasing by the day - I had to deal with some business today, but this is the first time in 2 days that I have been able to actually sit down and post anything for you all.

I found out that my kitchen is gonna be retrofitted so that we have some access to upper cabinets - problem is that the builder decided to give me ONE DRAWER in my ENTIRE kitchen, and they removed the bottom drawer from the stove, and will place a piece of WOOD where the drawer was - I told BHA that I wanted them to have a drawer built, because 1 4x4 box drawer isnt gonna cut it - My roomie has a large U shaped kitchen with 5 drawers in it but he can't reach or use any of his upper cabinets - makes me think the builders were not thinking with thier heads, but with thier backsides - who in the hell is gonna be able to use one drawer or a host of high cabinets if they can't reach them - GEEEZ - and they could have placed a drawer next to the fridge, but didn't - all my storage is in one closet in the livingroom - makes me wish they would have consulted us, the USERS of the areas -GRRRR.

But I DO have a large shower, and a really nice master bedroom - the master bedroom is basically what used to be my old unit, and the livingroom and kitchen is basically what used to be the roomies old place - the master bath is in the old entryway to unit 107 - DAMN she is big - now if I can get BHA to put drawers and in the kitchen, it would free up a cabinet or 2 - will snap pics later - wanna get more boxes of stuff unpacked and set up first :)

Brian

Edited by baker7

In the meantime, is there any room for a small stand-alone cabinet or table with drawers you could use? I'm thinking along the lines of what usually goes into a bedroom, like a nightstand. I have one that has four drawers that would be really handy, and I got it at a yard sale for like a nickel.

Brian,

If I were near your location, I would build whatever you needed.

See if you could find a local woodworker do this for your.

He would probably do it for free.

Good Luck!!!!

You are to be admired for your tenacity.

Edited by handplane

Good going Brian.

I think your one lucky person. I am glad you got into such a great place. And it sounds like one hell of a nice spot you have. Good going with the new pad.

James