My First Crack At Sushi

I tried to make sushi rolls tonight. I had alright results. I rolled up avocado, tuna, cucumber, ginger and horse radish(like wasabi) along with rice in seaweed sheets. The week part seemed to be the rice mixtue I used. My rolls did not hold tight. My next batch will turn out better, I will have to follow a traditional recipe for preparing the rice. I also just used regular long grain rice, I think real sushi rice binds together better. Any of you guys like sushi?

I tried to make sushi rolls tonight. I had alright results. I rolled up avocado, tuna, cucumber, ginger and horse radish(like wasabi) along with rice in seaweed sheets. The week part seemed to be the rice mixtue I used. My rolls did not hold tight. My next batch will turn out better, I will have to follow a traditional recipe for preparing the rice. I also just used regular long grain rice, I think real sushi rice binds together better. Any of you guys like sushi?

I love sushi:-)

I love seafood cooked.

As far as raw sushi......it's BAIT. :lol:

Edited by irregularjoe

OK, I don't like fish, horseradish, avodados and cucumbers are merely OK and never tried seaweed (but SisterSue says Spinach tastes like seaweed and I love spinach!) so I'm certainly no sushi expert, but I love rice!

I do know that adding a bit more water makes rice "plumper/moister" and lifting the lid off the pan while the rice is cooking can cause "gumminess", along with stirring (Heaven Forbid!)......maybe "breaking the Cardinal Rules for cooking rice" might help make it stickier? Also, adding butter to rice helps to seperate the grains...if you add butter, perhaps skip it? Oh, Lord, I can't believe I'm giving advice on how to make sticky rice.....

Liz

Edited by blim

hmmm, I love Japanese stuff (I'm even trying to learn to speak Japanese) but I don't know if I'm diggin the idea of raw fish or a lot of what's in sushi. There's other Japanese food I'll tear up but sushi ain't on my list.

I bought some short grain rice today and rice vinegar(I used balsamic yesterday). I have some left over tuna, so I am going to make a new batch today. i think the main problem with my rice was its moisture level. After adding the vinegar mixture, I will dry it slightly.

Edited by shanenin
I bought some short grain rice today and rice vinegar(I used balsamic yesterday). I have some left over tuna, so I am going to make a new batch today. i think the main problem with my rice was its moisture level. After adding the vinegar mixture, I will dry it slightly.

Do you use a rice cooker or the old pot-on stove method?

Mark

im a lover of fish

and

ans as a result i eat sushe

in new zealand it is made by japanese food bars

tho it is quite dear to by

for me it is a treat every now and then

much of our seaweed that goes in to making

sushe

is exported from our shores

the seaweed is called [in native language[kauringore]

it was hightly sort after as it contains minerals that is important to the body

now of course

many make millions just to export it to japan

marty

Edited by martymas

Got me hungry. Only problem is I got a big old pot of corned beef and cabbage cooking away right now. Maybe next week. My kids are screaming for my famous culinary delight of beans and weenies for tomorrow :thumbsup:

Mark

Ahh, I am a lover of all things seafood any kind of fish/lobster/crab is all good with me. Sushi I have tried a few times but anytime I eat it it doesn't taste all that bad (fairly bland actually) however afterwards I still feel like I have to go eat something heavier.

I also am not a big fan of sticky rice but sushi on occasion isn't bad. I'll have to find a good sushi place near me to go try out and give it a real chance.

hmm, I may have to drive up to Cool Springs and go to Sake (not the rice wine, it's the name of a Japanese restaurant, REAL Japanese, no them stupid Japanese steakhouses). I've been there once but that was a while back.

My dad likes Japanese food. While he was in Zama, Japan for yearly or bi yearly or whatever training back some years ago (national guard), he signed up for a home stay with this one family so he and a few other guardsman with him got to chow down on some frickin real as it gets Japanese food. I still have 2 sets of chopsticks in my room he brought back from that trip.

Within a year or 2, me and some of my friends and maybe my dad and maybe even my mom, we plan to go to Japan. I'm tryin my dernedest to learn Japanese for the trip. (speech, ain't no way in the bad place am I gonna learn the written language in that time, Kanji and the other alphabets they use are hard)

Edited by Honda_Boy

gee shanahan that lookjs tasty

my god you keep your age nice

a fifteen year old

how do you do it do you work out or is it natural in you family

some pelple are born like it

take care and enjoy the susse

marty