Those Were The Days

51 years ago!

Comments made in the year 1955:

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems every new movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it.

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas "

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

Know friends who would get a kick out of these? Pass it on!

Man... I wish I had those kind of money worries right now...

Been playing for four days on my sewer line. Day one, Started off with the plunger.

Day two I snaked part of my lines and then called a plumber. $150 dollars and 15 minutes later he had his power jet hose stuck in my line.

Day three and $200.00 later he ran a camera down my line until he went under water About 15 feet out. Shurged his shoulders and told me where and how deep the end of his camera was to start digging, they would get their hose out when I find where the line is broke or seperated.

Day four, After digging in wet dirt (about a foot down) and then wet clay for another four foot. for a four by four by four foot hole. Called in a backhoe. $150.00 later found my line and had a piece broke out by back hoe. Water filling up the hole. Pail by pail to get down to the hole in the pipe and discovered the plugged part is clear out in the street. Called city water dept. They are going to have the same ones come out and try to clear the clog. And the plumbers power jet hose is still stuck in my line, about 5 feet back under my house. Ran my snake back towards it and went clear to my toilet drain. I have no idea what it is hung up on. Water runs out of my hole real good when I run water...So....

Well see what day five brings. I wish I only had to pay the price for what it would have coasted 51 years ago. And I still have to fix the pipe.

Fun days I'm having. :wacko:

Oh, Jsky! :( Crossing my fingers that you don't have to go through what my Sister went through with a similar problem (I'm not even going to hint what her pipe dilemma cost...)

On the other side of the coin!

The TV we bought 20 years ago cost $500. We replaced it last Spring (same size, same make, but it has a remote, it's cable ready and it's stereo!) for $99

Another Sister bought a computer 20 years ago and spent about $4000

When we bought our first idiot box, everyone told us,

"Oh, you'll NEVER fill up a 10 gigawatt hard drive!!".

..that was before Napster was thought of...

Cars actually don't break down as often as they used to

Anyone ever say,

"If you think I'm going to PAY to watch television, you're crazy!" ? Scary thing is that we're saying the same thing about radio now.

Liz

Edited by blim

im haveing trouble with my washing machine

the pump wont drain the water

so i have to lay the hose on the floor and let natural justice its course

i think the pump has buggered up

some one said why dont you buy another

so i priced it and it is cheaper than mine cost 10 years ago

yes times have changed

marty

Edited by martymas

Heh, You want to hear about money issues?

I had a very large retaining wall on the side of my property, about 150 feet long and 7 feet high in places. This wall held up my two story house. Over a 26 year period the wall started to sag to the point that my house was in danger of structural failure. So I hired the premiere construction company in town to replace the wall. They removed the old wooden wall and replaced it with a steel re-enforced concrete wall, (they hammered 22 steel piles down to bedrock). They also replaced my carport, porch, and driveway. It looks great, but, it cost me a lot more than the original estimate. The engineering plans from the city dated 26 years ago state that my property has bedrock 6 feet below the surface of the earth. Well, the SOBs lied because it is 21+ feet down to bedrock. So it ended up costing me $85,000 (Canadian) to have the situation rectified. I'm happy with the outcome of the work, but, when I first got the original estimate for the work I remember sitting in a dark room hyperventilating for about 20 minutes (a bad case of sticker shock).

Life goes on:-) Now if I could just win the lottery, hehheh:-)

Man Hitest that sucks, but atleast your house isn't going to collapse.

Thanks, my friend!

Yes, my house is now rock solid, structurally sound, and it looks better. On a positive note the value of my house increased by $68,000 after the renovations so something good has come out of this situation. My wife and I re-structured our finances and we're doing fine. We'll have this paid off in 5-10 years. :)

Man Hitest that sucks, but atleast your house isn't going to collapse.

Thanks, my friend!

Yes, my house is now rock solid, structurally sound, and it looks better. On a positive note the value of my house increased by $68,000 after the renovations so something good has come out of this situation. My wife and I re-structured our finances and we're doing fine. We'll have this paid off in 5-10 years. :)

Not sure about canada, but in USA Michigan, if my house went up in value you can bet the TAXES would follow suit! Any excuse they can use to increase taxces is used here! :angry:

Papa

yes its funny how prices can be shifted

to people who cant afforf them

here, there is a carbon tax being talked about

because of polution

but they want to spread the taxes over the population

my contention

is big biz is the caues of polution

and they polute the globe

so they should pay the most

marty

Not sure about canada, but in USA Michigan, if my house went up in value you can bet the TAXES would follow suit! Any excuse they can use to increase taxces is used here! :angry:

Papa

Yep, I fully expect my taxes to go up as a result of my renovations. :blink: