I got my daughter a new mp3 player for her birthday. It does not separate music with a simple file hierarchy, it does it more like an ipod. She has about 10 albums that have the same id3 information, for example, unknown artist, unknown album, song one. If she adds all of those albums, she has no easy way of separating them by category. If I can just change the id3 tags to give each album a unique name, she can then find songs more easily by sorting them by album name.

I found a great easy to use gtk based program on linux called easytag, but it only works with mp3 files. She has a large amount of files in WMA format. Do you guys have a suggestion for a free program that will edit id3 tags for WMA files?

Make copies of the files, then convert the copies to MP3.

If you convert the copies to a high bitrate, say 160 or above, I don't think you'll notice any drop-off in sound quality, on an MP3 player.

Once converted to MP3, you could also use a program like Audacity, to cut the albums up into individual songs.

You can also use Audacity to edit ID3 tags.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found windows media player has a built in 1d3 editor. Its only drawback is only one song at a time can be done. eaytag for mp3s allows you to do whole directories of music.