Usb Connection Issues Sp2 Related?

Prior to reading up on the forums, and doing a full system scan, SP2 was installed on my girlfriend's system :/

Turns out there were several instances of adware, spyware, and a few viruses, which have since been removed after the installation of SP2.

Though nothing seemed to be malfunctioning at the time, after purchasing a new digital camera, it came to my attention that no NEW usb devices were being recognized. I tried uninstalling one of the previously installed devices and then reinstalling it to confirm this, and it too would not be recognized.

Curious to know if this is a common problem, or was a common problem, seeing as how there are so many posts and warnings about making sure the system is completely clean before installing SP2. Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall of SP2 would help? I'm really not sure how to remedy this problem and would appreciate any and all help with this issue.

Prior to reading up on the forums, and doing a full system scan, SP2 was installed on my girlfriend's system :/

Turns out there were several instances of adware, spyware, and a few viruses, which have since been removed after the installation of SP2.

Though nothing seemed to be malfunctioning at the time, after purchasing a new digital camera, it came to my attention that no NEW usb devices were being recognized. I tried uninstalling one of the previously installed devices and then reinstalling it to confirm this, and it too would not be recognized.

Curious to know if this is a common problem, or was a common problem, seeing as how there are so many posts and warnings about making sure the system is completely clean before installing SP2. Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall of SP2 would help? I'm really not sure how to remedy this problem and would appreciate any and all help with this issue.

Don't know if this is common or not but, I would try and install the drivers for the USB ports again. What type PC is this and do you have the drivers?

To back up what lefty1953 said, goto the "device manager" and uninstall all of the devices listed under "univesal serial bus controllers". After a reboot the devices should get reinstalled. That may fix your problem. If that does not work, I would be curious to see if uninstalling service pack 2 fixes the issue.

You can get to the device manager by entering devmgmt.msc into the run box

It may be a good idea to set a restore point before trying the above suggestion, just incase something does not go as expected

how to set a restore point

edit added later//

I just realized lefty1953 said to reinstall the drivers, while I said reinstall the devices. It may help to reinstall the drivers, I thought those were native to XP

Edited by shanenin

yup, ive tried uninstalling the drivers, resulted in the item becoming useless. when New uninstalled devices are plugged into the port, there is a ding showing that it recognizes an item is connected, however it is not the same as when it is actually recognizing a piece of hardware. sounds more like an error ding.

also noticed that in MY add/remove programs, while showing updates - Service Pack 2 is visible.

On her laptop it is not. It is a Sony vaio by the way.

Thanks for the help, but i still believe it is something else.

yup, ive tried uninstalling the drivers, resulted in the item becoming useless. when New uninstalled devices are plugged into the port, there is a ding showing that it recognizes an item is connected, however it is not the same as when it is actually recognizing a piece of hardware. sounds more like an error ding.

also noticed that in MY add/remove programs, while showing updates - Service Pack 2 is visible.

On her laptop it is not. It is a Sony vaio by the way.

Thanks for the help, but i still believe it is something else.

Service Pack 2 will not show up if it came with the XP software. If you didn't have SP2 with your XP software then it will show up in ADD/Remove. Did you install the Software for the New Camera? It will have it's own Drivers. As for the old Devices not working. try reinstalling their Drivers as well. After installing SP2 it is possible you would need to reinstall all your drivers.

When you check in Device Manager and look in Universal Serial Bus controllers, do you see Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller?

No, it is not.

I'd also like to add that the laptop is not currently in my possession as my gf needs it for work/school so i may be slow in responding with answers to these problems.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a Sony Vaio laptop, was purchased from Circuit city, and she is not currently in possession of any drivers or software.

Recalling a while ago, i checked out her windows updates, and noticed she had been neglecting them for some time. There was almost a years worth of updates that had not been installed, and the computer was not protected. One of the updates listed was Service Pack 2. When i noticed this, not thinking, i immediately installed them, without scanning the system to be sure it was free from adware and viruses. There were in fact a few spyware programs and viruses present on the system at that time. Could this be one of the reasons why Service Pack 2 is not appearing as an installed update under add/remove programs?

The problem still persists, and it doesnt seem to be anything obvious. Hope any of this information helps.

It has been a while since I dealt with this but if I recall it was actually related to installed software for one of the devices not just the driver.

I forget how we narrowed down which specific device it was causing the problem; but uninstalling its software and its driver solved the problem.

Then it could be reinstalled correctly.

Do you have any usb devices which required installing the software before installing the driver such as a USB printer or scanner?

The problem is that the software is not functioning completely correctly so that any new device connected is being misidentified as the device belonging to the software and no attempt is made to add the new driver.