it

and ime not sure if the info ive posted is genuine

or not

so cactus not only can prick you

if you drink the juice

it can give a glad feeling

marty

:D Welcome to the Naughty Gardeners Club, Marty! :D

Wow! If the cops ever showed up to my house saying my opium poppies had to be destroyed, I'd flip! Glad I live in a tinytown and the cops likely are uninterested in my flowerbeds.

Like you, I have no idea how to make a drug out of the posies...I just grow them because they "came with the house", they're perinneal and they're so pretty :)

It's tragic that they made you get rid of the plant. What a waste, especially since you were growing it for it's beauty. I have lousy luck with cacti and gave up on trying to grow them--it takes a talented and patient (I have NO patience!) gardener to make cacti grow!

Liz

hi liz

and th beauty is i live in a climate

that in the winter is below zero

and i alway understood cactus was a desert plant

which grew in hot areas

so may be they are like humans and

can aclimatise

to the conditions

so we need to nurture these sort of plants

not many of them can change with the conditions

new zealand is predominately a temperate zone

and all indigenous plants are ever greens

so the cactus

is unique because it can adjust to the climatic conditions

goodness i sound as tho im a cactus expert

which im not

but it was a little project which started as some thing to do

and that dam plant inspecter

brassed me off

marty

:D Welcome to the Naughty Gardeners Club, Marty! :D

Wow! If the cops ever showed up to my house saying my opium poppies had to be destroyed, I'd flip! Glad I live in a tinytown and the cops likely are uninterested in my flowerbeds.

Like you, I have no idea how to make a drug out of the posies...I just grow them because they "came with the house", they're perinneal and they're so pretty :)

It's tragic that they made you get rid of the plant. What a waste, especially since you were growing it for it's beauty. I have lousy luck with cacti and gave up on trying to grow them--it takes a talented and patient (I have NO patience!) gardener to make cacti grow!

Liz

Hey Liz. Got any seeds? Of course the flowers wouldn't last long here. The kids around here would sniff them out in no time

Mark

Edited by garmanma

Yes I thought the name mescaline sounded familiar, though wasn't sure if it was peyote, or something else. I think the last I heard was it was finally decided that under controlled circumstances it would be legal for American Indian ceremonies under religious rules. I sort of remember it also being a military question of an American Indian soldier's right to use it or not in Iraq or other battlefield environment, but think it was denied.

Liz, don't necessarily assume that all poppies are the opium poppy. As I understand it, they are not the right variety. But all poppy seeds will cause a drug test to show positive if you eat bread or hamburger buns crusted with poppy seeds for example. Supposedly you can explain you ate legal food that contained them, and they will have to retest with a more detailed test to prove if you are clean or not???

My sister-in-law had also had a house that had pretty red poppies, but she investigated and found out they were ok and legal. My place had them too when we bought it....seemed to be popular around old houses. I didn't like them so spent years ripping them out... they self seed and lay dormant for years before springing to life...ugh!

But speaking of plants/drugs....my sister-in-law (same one as above) came over to visit one day and checked out my garden. But I hadn't kept up with the weeding along the fence line...and didn't understand her at first when she said that a certain plant was (a) weed!!! I thought she was just being critical of my not keeping up with hoeing out the weeds. But soon found out it really was Weed....yep marijauna!!! Yikes, I sure didn't know what it looked like until then and don't know how she did and was to intimidated by her to ask!!! then the question was how to get rid of it without getting caught with it. She laughed and said burn it....Ha! Sure folks, and let everyone know I had it by the smoke smell from chimney!!! So finally just chopped it up real fine and composted it deep down in a hot compost pile. Years later a neighbor was big on feeding wild birds...so he bought bird seed in bulk. Found out the seeds left over by the birds sprouted at base of feeder...and some of the plants were marijuana!!! Was a common ingredient in bags of mixed bird seed for many years. He was embarrassed and mad at first...then just laughed about how the moles liked to tunnel right near the bird feeder. Ha!!!

Gardening, bird feeding...yep they do have interesting, even funny, moments.

Pat

God bless everyone

What a hilarious story about the "Weed", Pat! :D

My Grandparents had a Guest House and my Aunt and Cousins stayed there for a couple weeks each summer. Well, when the older Cousins were teenagers, guess what was discovered growing around the tennis court behind the house? Yep, seems Steve, Bob and Mike used that area to dispose of their seeds when on vacation in Michigan...

Oh, what a dillema I had when *trying* to explain to my Mom and Grandmother that those plants needed to be destroyed as local folks used the tennis courts....and *trying* to explain just how I knew what those plants were! :blush:

That is when I coined my phrase,

"Heyyyy, I went to Art School!"

But my biggest laugh was when my "Sainted 87 year old Grandmother" suggested we try it :blink: All this time I thought my Dad referred to her as the "World's Oldest Hippy" because she wanted to get married barefoot on the beach in 1921, was a vegetarian and a health food nut....(noooo, we wouldn't let her try it, by the way....but Mom and I did laugh ourselves to tears!)

And yup, Pat, I do have Opium Poppies--they look different than ordinary poppies, much more delicate and sometimes darn right frilly--and the buds "look down" before they bloom, a candy cane shape. But again, they're pretty--many shades of purple, pink, white and red

Picture

Liz

how did they spot the rogue plant

the plot i have the cacti in is exposed the a road

which runs past my house

and obviously some one saw it and recognised it

and reported it as a noxious weed

this is all double dutch to me

tho

here is the bright side

when they decided to destroy the plant

they also gave me the a choice to replace

plant as long as it was indigenous

to nz

so i chose a plant called koromiko [old cure]

it has medicinal properties

as when you get the s-----ts

you chew it and swallow the saliva

and it stops those trots

to the toilet

so i lost one but gained another

all my plants and shrubs have some sort of medicinal

value

marty

... when they decided to destroy the plant they also gave me the a choice to replace the plant as long as it was indigenous to nz ...

i chose a plant called koromiko [old cure] it has medicinal properties ...

That's great they offered to replace it, and even better, an indiginous one, and better still, one that you may need some day. :lol:

hi JD

yes i have gained some thing out of all of this

that dam inspector was a smart b----

he thought iwas growing the plants for drug use

at my age the bloody plant may as well be from the moon

he was the one who told me the name of the thing

to me a cactus is a cactus

just a name

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and as bim posted

those poppies

used to be grown by every body in new zealand

i remember i used to see the pods

brimming over with this white stuff

and thought no more about it until the last few years

when it the got publicity about it being a drug plant

if liz lived in nz those

those plants would be confiscated

tho we have like all countrys have a

a drug problem

our authorities are watching all the time

for people growing illegal plants

pot is a popular growers dream

in new zealand

tho pot is

iillegal to grow commercially

you are a allowed to grow one for your own use

any more and your in for a smack on the bum

ps:

i wonder how they get on in holland

where their main export

is poppy seed and plant

they net millions of dollars a year

in exports

and i believe they have clubs where you can partake this drug

but are not allowed to grow it

with out a license

boggles the mind dosent it

marty

shanenin

yes that plant in the pic is the same as mine

was but the flower was shaped like a trumpet

in my research

they can live on insects

at the bottom of the flower is a

necter

which the insects

drink

and it makes them high

and they cant get back out of the flower

and are consumed

by the plant

just how that is done

i havent found out yet

but i believe

there are a 100 and fifety

species of the plant

so many differ

like i said it boggles the mind

i wonder if bear skin has tried it

he posts at drews world

shanenin

sorry im not sure if the plant im discribing is

peyote

or not

to show how ignorant i am

they were all cactus to me until this thread

my ive learned plenty

since i posted to this thread

marty

I'm like you Marty! I learned quite a bit by this thread.

As for growing cactus...peyote or not...I have no luck at all. (Ooops I'd better clarify that I never tried to grow peyote!!!) I always over water them even though I don't water any of my house plants as often as most people. And in our rainy climate, they would definitely drown outside.

Thanks for the links to the article and pictures of both peyote and poppy folks!!!

Liz, that is a gorgeous poppy but nothing like ones red or orange ones I have seen or had. Wow!!!

Loved the Weed story too. Your Grandma sounded delightful. Now with medical marijauna at least in this state she could legally be able to use it if she had any aches and pains, just get the Doc to agree to it. Ah the times are achanging...used to be the kids now it's the grannys and the gramps too. I wonder how that law works out in nursing homes...might cure the chronic turnover of employees to mention the 'fringe' benefits? Ha!

Pat

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat