K so my first question is, is there a website or program that can tell you hat you need to upgrade on your current computer so vista run at max performance?

and my second question is , is there a website or program that can tell you if theres anything wrong with

your computer? like if everythin is working fine and stuff, i haev no current problems and havent had any in a long time but i wanna check just to make sure

sofware wise too like the registry and that kind of stuff, just to check everythin is ok

10 reasons why you don't need Vista:

1. Requires a fairly Powerful Machine

2. Aplication Incompatibilities

3. Cazy Expensive

4. No Hardware Audio (MS remove some key gaming components like DirectSound 3D

so you will not be able to use features that require Hardware acceleration Like EAX)

5. Does not work with a lot of Bleeding-Bleeding Edge Hardware (Lie your USB MIC and Joy stick -port Based Thrustmaster Flight Stick)

6. Does not work well with some games (esspecially if you use Punkbuster you will need to run the game as Admin)

7. Includes consumer unfriendly DRM

8. Poor Driver Support

9. Kind Of Annoying (poorly executed attempt at User account control as pertaining to Software installation. MS's attempt at comtrolling Malware installs)

10. You Can Wait (Ask yourself if you need it. The only people who should say yes are people who already have Direct X 10 vid. cards and axiously awaiting thier Crysis preloaders everyone else wait until the bus are worked out)

Taken (not verbatim) from Maximum PC Feb 2007

Hope it helps someone

Preston

Edited by rhema7
10 reasons why you don't need Vista:

1. Requires a fairly Powerful Machine

2. Aplication Incompatibilities

3. Cazy Expensive

4. No Hardware Audio (MS remove some key gaming components like DirectSound 3D

so you will not be able to use features that require Hardware acceleration Like EAX)

5. Does not work with a lot of Bleeding-Bleeding Edge Hardware (Lie your USB MIC and Joy stick -port Based Thrustmaster Flight Stick)

6. Does not work well with some games (esspecially if you use Punkbuster you will need to run the game as Admin)

7. Includes consumer unfriendly DRM

8. Poor Driver Support

9. Kind Of Annoying (poorly executed attempt at User account control as pertaining to Software installation. MS's attempt at comtrolling Malware installs)

10. You Can Wait (Ask yourself if you need it. The only people who should say yes are people who already have Direct X 10 vid. cards and axiously awaiting thier Crysis preloaders everyone else wait until the bus are worked out)

Taken (not verbatim) from Maximum PC Feb 2007

Hope it helps someone

Preston

I have to disagree with most of that. First off, it really doesn't require a super computer to run. I'm running it on my laptop and desktop (granted my desktop is very powerful, however my laptop is not). It runs perfectly fine on my laptop. My laptop is 1.6Ghz Pentium M with 1.5GB of RAM, However Vista will most likely run fine on 1GB of RAM, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have more. If you plan on running the Aero theme you're going to need a good graphics card. Of course driver support isn't the greatest. Driver support for any OS when it first comes out isn't the greatest. It will take a little before you have all the drivers available. However I should point out I have had 2 issues with drivers so far both were resolvable without having to wait for a new driver.

Also, UAC can be turned off rather easily through User Accounts which can be accessed via the Control Panel. I haven't experienced any issues with hardware at all on either install of Vista. And for all the gamers, give Vista a little and it will out perform XP for game play. Expensive? Yes, sort of compared to other versions of Windows. However, think about it, you're buying something that does everything for your computer without an OS you can't do anything with your machine.

I wrote a review on Vista Ultimate which can be found here:

http://www.besttechie.net/2007/02/06/windo...ltimate-review/

B

Now to address the original question, I'm not sure whether this was mentioned already, but I didn't see it. Microsoft has a Vista Upgrade Advisor which can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx

But if you post your current system specs I'm sure myself or someone else can help you out in terms of what needs to be upgraded (if anything at all). So run the upgrade advisor but also post your system specs and I'll be happy to take a look and let you know what I think based on my personal experience.

B