Please be advised that the games I'm about to post about used to be just fine. This is only in the last month or so.

I use the ATI Radeon 7500 video card. In the past, I was able to run games with no problem on display. Now, for some games I have to go to my ATI Properties and manually lighten the screen, then they're OK. However, I have 3 games that used to be OK, but now are too dark no matter what I do. I've tried lightening the display properties (see screenshot at http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/mys...nProperties.jpg -- you may have to run your cursor over the pic, then click on the box that appears lower right to get full-size) Even setting both sliders at maximum (way too light for anything else), the games are still too dark. One of them is Myst Exile III, and it used to look great.

I went to Start > Run, and typed in dxdiag. When the Direct X (version 8.0) screen came up, I ran the diagnostics, and all seems OK.

I have also set the monitor at 100% brightness and contrast.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try? Thanks for any thoughts....

Edited by mystified
Please be advised that the games I'm about to post about used to be just fine. This is only in the last month or so.

I use the ATI Radeon 7500 video card. In the past, I was able to run games with no problem on display. Now, for some games I have to go to my ATI Properties and manually lighten the screen, then they're OK. However, I have 3 games that used to be OK, but now are too dark no matter what I do. I've tried lightening the display properties (see screenshot at http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/mys...nProperties.jpg -- you may have to run your cursor over the pic, then click on the box that appears lower right to get full-size) Even setting both sliders at maximum (way too light for anything else), the games are still too dark. One of them is Myst Exile III, and it used to look great.

I went to Start > Run, and typed in dxdiag. When the Direct X (version 8.0) screen came up, I ran the diagnostics, and all seems OK.

I have also set the monitor at 100% brightness and contrast.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try? Thanks for any thoughts....

Do you have another monitor to try? This system looks a little old if it is the one in your specs. You can try updating as mentioned, it could help but I suspect your monitor is going out. If another monitor is also dim then I would be looking at the video card.