Two things you might want to spread around. (About Vista)

First, Windows defener by defauld is set agressively. Meaning it will uninstall programs that are not digitly signed. So this must be addressed. You load a program, defender sees it, checks and then removes it... Nice way to set it as a default huh.

Secondly, when installing using the upgrade disk. Let others know to back up their info on a CD or DVD. Not to a second partition or second Hard Drive. The upgrade install will automaticlly backup your info for you. and it will use any space it finds to do this.(other then the main partition). Even overwriting your backed-up info on another partition or hard drive. Thus messing up your saved data. If they use a second hard drive to disconnect it before upgrading if they have important info they want to keep safe.

Good tip on the backup. Of course with any upgrade or fresh install someone should backup to disk or to a hard drive that can be disconnected. How many people have placed their backup files and program on another partition/hard drive to only overwrite it by not paying attention to where the OS wants to install.

Good tip about the backup, indeed.

Even people technologically "in-the-know" wouldn't assume it would wreak that kind of havoc.

Here's a nice little "for instance" that popped into my head as I read your post.

Someone has a dual boot system and decides to upgrade, install or reinstall Vista and assumes they'll only need to reinstall grub after the install.

I've done this numerous times with XP and never once physically disconnected the linux drive(s) - Would be a real eye opener and quite the enraging moment to find it formatted and wrote to one of those drives.

So, I guess I pose these questions....

( If one were careless enough to not disconnect the drive(s) )

Does it do this without warning or prompt?

Will it recognize another file system present?

Edited by tictoc5150

For a clean install. It ask which partition you want to put it on.

As far as I have head, on an inplace upgrade it just starts with the upgrade.(i have the full install) Now a to a dual boot. I have as of yet not heard of problems. BUT.....

Just on a single boot overwriting saved data is what I am hearing. But not in all cases. Some are smooth, some are not.