Installing Vista Premium Upgrade Onto Xp Professional

For those wanting to reformat and install Vista Premium using the Upgrade Version.

Tho Vista Premium will not boot up for a clean install, Just run as you would normally. You will have to put in you XP Pro. CD just long enough for Vista to see you have XP Pro. It will then comlpete the install of Vista.

I am not quite following you. Are you saying the vista premium disc is not bootlable, or do just mean it wants proof of XP? Why would you need an xp pro disc, since premium is just the equivalent of microsoft home, not pro?

Edited by shanenin

Ya..I guess it not to sane.

The Full Install CDs are bootable.

No..The Vista Upgrade CDs are not bootable. The only thing you can boot to is for doing a repair. They are all made to boot from within the current OS as an upgrade only. They are looking for the Legacy codes in win 2000 or XP home.

You cannot do an upgrade from XP Pro. to anything but Vista Bunisses or Ultimate.

But to do an upgrade from XP Pro. to Vista Premium, you need to do a clean install. To do this you will need a copy of XP Professional CD.

Boot from the Vista Premium upgrade CD.. Choose Custom install. It will ask for your copy of XP Pro. Insert the XP CD for it to verify you have one and to let it copy a couple of codes and then it will continue to install Vista Premium.

Sound a little better then my first post...LOL

Boot from the Vista Premium upgrade CD.. Choose Custom install. It will ask for your copy of XP Pro. Insert the XP CD for it to verify you have one and to let it copy a couple of codes and then it will continue to install Vista Premium.

according to the link sethook left, you need to have a fully installed and activated copy of XP. This link also backs that up

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930985/en-us (from the article)

Edited by shanenin

My info came from a call to Microsoft help and support this very morning. They said it would work...

But on reading other postings on the net...I'm not so sure my advice is right. So until I learn more.. Or try it myself..Do not take my advice to heart....It might not work as I said...Even tho MS phone support said for XP Pro it would.

Paul Thurrott of "WindowsITPro" Magazine and "WinSuperSite.com", did a lengthy review of Vista and claimed it was possible to do a clean install booting from the Vista Upgrade CD. An email explained to him that this may not be possible, this is his responce:

"Actually, this is how you do it, according to Microsoft’s internal documentation. I’ll have to test this, but this is what they’re saying internally.

"The following steps provide a workaround if you need to clean install Windows Vista provided with these conditions:

- You have an upgrade product key for Windows Vista

- There is not a supported operating system installed on the computer

- You are required to install Windows Vista by booting to the DVD to start the installation.

Method/workaround:

1. Boot to the Windows Vista DVD

2. Start the setup routine by clicking on Install Now

3. When prompted for the product key, do not enter a product key and click next.

4. You will be prompted to confirm that you wish to continue with the install without entering a product key. Click on No, to continue.

5. When prompted for the edition of Windows Vista, select the edition corresponding to your Windows Vista upgrade product key.

6. Continue with a clean installation.

7. Once the installation has been completed successfully, restart the setup routine within the Windows Vista. This is also known as an in-place upgrade.

8. When prompted for the product key, enter your Windows Vista upgrade product key.""

This is the closest I have found for a clean install using an "Upgrade CD"

You're probably better off buying the OEM version of Vista Ultimate for $200 at Newegg.

1. You can reinstall it as many times on the same machine as you want.

2. It doesn't require a previous OS to be installed.

3. It won't make your XP key invalid like the upgrade versions do. More info here

That's what I did (after consulting with Pierce and therock247uk), of course you don't get support but that's why you have us. ;)

B