Putting A Hd From A Mac To A Pc

My grandmother is planning to give me her really really old mac. It's running version 7.5. My PC is a windows 98SE and has a P3 processer and is a Dell Persicion 410 and runs on SCSI. I was wondering if you could somehow take the HD out of the mac, erase it, and then put it into the PC??

Thanks,

Danny

A similar (or the same) question was asked over at the G4 forums about a week or two ago. I'm not able to get over there to look right now but when I get home tonight, I'll try and look it up for you if someone hasn't answered with a working solution by then.

Nerelda

I don't recall seeing anything on the last HHD I picked up about being for a PC or Mac. (No more box) But I don't see why it wouldn't work. But check to see what speed the HHD in the Mac is. Older PCs usually have some slow HHDs in them.

most old apple hard drives are SCSI not IDE. you need a SCSI card to use them.

most old apple hard drives are SCSI not IDE. you need a SCSI card to use them.

Depends on how far you're going to go back. Most of the drives in Macs made anytime in this millenium are IDE. If you go back into the Powermac days then, yes, you will run into SCSI drives...but anything in the new "color" era of Macs (anything in the plastic pastels they were so fond of or later) should be inter-changeable.

I have a SCSI HD that was given to me from a friend of my Father's, and I've been thinking on purchasing a SCSI card, but I don't know too much about them.

Where's a good place to purchase a SCSI card for a decent price, and is there anything special we should be looking for when purchasing one?

Ahh this is where the Mac Questions are being posted. Silly me. :P

I guess I should probably help. Ohh you guys already answered all the questions. *sigh*

Man a day late and a post short. <_<

I guess I'll just take my Apple Pro Mouse and climb back into the Chit Chat area. :lol:

*Pats macmarauder on the back*

It's okay dude...I'm usually the one that's a day late and a dollar short myself.

I can't believe you wouldn't know to look for the mac question under the Windows Support forum. ;) I guess it was asked here because it also has to do with a migration to a PC and it's the only mac question so far, so I don't know that B felt an entire forum devoted to it was called for quite yet...hehehe...though I hope we might have one eventually. I think I already put in a vote for it under the suggestion forum somewhere.... :blink:

Good to see you about though - I'll know who to go to if I can't figure out a mac question myself....

first you need to knwo what type of scsi.. is it scsi 1 ,2 or 3... then their are diffrent connetions to both.. but once you knwo the type you need you should find good cards for $20 on pricewatch.. mine came with my CD burner (yes it was SCSI).