Reiserfs Vrs Ext3

I have two 200 gb western digital drives. I use them for storage of data. I then use the program unison to sync them, so I always have backup. I formatted one with ext3 with the option to set the superuser amount to 0%. I formatted the other with ReiserFS(I think version 3). the ext3 file system formatted and left me with 184gb. The ReiserFS filesystem left me with 187gb, slightly less waste. Based on that i may make both drives ReiserFS. For what its worth, most of the files are in the range of 350mbs-1500mbs. Are their any reasons I should not use ReiserFS? Both file systems seem stable, but I am getting a little more storage if I use ReiserFS.

I have two 200 gb western digital drives. I use them for storage of data. I then use the program unison to sync them, so I always have backup. I formatted one with ext3 with the option to set the superuser amount to 0%. I formatted the other with ReiserFS(I think version 3). the ext3 file system formatted and left me with 184gb. The ReiserFS filesystem left me with 187gb, slightly less waste. Based on that i may make both drives ReiserFS. For what its worth, most of the files are in the range of 350mbs-1500mbs. Are their any reasons I should not use ReiserFS? Both file systems seem stable, but I am getting a little more storage if I use ReiserFS.

ReiserFS has worked very well for me in Slackware and so has ext3 which is what I'm running now on my Slackware boxes. I'd say ReiserFS sounds good if you need a bit more storage for your media files. :thumbsup:

I believe ext3 is faster then ReiserFs on most file sizes, but on eally small files Reiserfs is faster.

in all I always use ReiserFS unless I am sharing the partition with BSD or Mac OSX as they have ext drivers (BSD has reiser but I don't add it)

I was going to change both of my partitions to ext3 from reiserfs, then I noticed I lost about 3 gbs. Based on that, I will probably keep reiserfs.

Interesting. Based on your observations about the lost GBs I'll switch back to ReiserFS when Patrick releases Slack 11.1:-)

An interesting foot note concerning the ReiserFS file system. I recently read that the developer, can't remember his first name, any way Mr. Reiser may be facing murder charges concerning his missing wife. At least according to linux pro magazine. I don't know what effect this will have on future developement of the system though, which is my point for posting this.

Edited by betamaxman

non, Novell has stated they will pick up its development and they may rename it.. but it will still be the same thing

they may rename it

Thats probably is a good idea.

Does Hans have to give permission to do that? Since it is open source, could I take over development and call it shanefs ?

Edited by shanenin
Really? I remember reading on slashdot that they are dropping it. They could still help develop it but I wouldn't see much incentive for them to do so.

I wouldn't be surprised. ReiserFS seems to be in maintence-mode and Reiser4 is going nowhere.

they may rename it

Thats probably is a good idea.

Does Hans have to give permission to do that? Since it is open source, could I take over development and call it shanefs ?

yes, you could if its GPL its called forking.