I have two dells that are almost identical (dvd burner and HD space are the differences). I recently got a good price on 256MB RAM PC2700 for $25 bucks each, so i bought 2. Each of these computers have 512MB PC2700 right now, so i decided to put an extra 256MB in and bring it up to 768MB. It worked on my computer, but for my sister's computer (the other computer), the monitor wouldn't respond to the computer. It just stayed on Stand-by, as if the computer was off. I don't know why this is happening, they are the same speed, and it worked in mine, so why shouldn't it work in hers?

I don't really want to return the RAM since i got it cheap, so any help would be appreciated. If i can't get it to work, i guess i'll just sell it on ebay...

did you try the other stick in your comp to see if it is good.

Its possible that one stick is bad. If the comps are Iidentical swap the two new sticks and see what happens

JD

• 3 months later...

Hi Murtu52,

"I don't really want to return the RAM since i got it cheap, so any help would be appreciated. If i can't get it to work, i guess i'll just sell it on ebay... "

If the case is a faulty stick o'ram, if you bought it at just about any retail store,you should be able to exchange it with no problem. Especially if you still have the receipt, but even without, if you tell the manager what you told us, he should do an even exchange for you. After all, you bought his product in good faith, he should want to keep your business. Liz

Hi Murtu52,

"I don't really want to return the RAM since i got it cheap, so any help would be appreciated. If i can't get it to work, i guess i'll just sell it on ebay... "

If the case is a faulty stick o'ram, if you bought it at just about any retail store,you should be able to exchange it with no problem. Especially if you still have the receipt, but even without, if you tell the manager what you told us, he should do an even exchange for you. After all, you bought his product in good faith, he should want to keep your business. Liz

yeah, we were thinking about that, but in the end I figured out what was going wrong. I got this at Office Depot, because my dad shops there so much, they give us really good deals and let us get away with stuff like "Limit 1 per customer" rules, etc....