How Could This Happen?

I am at a loss for what just happened. I booted my newly made Gentoo system yesterday evening. This was a bare system not yet running X. I did an emerge gnome before I went to bed. I kind of expected to wake up to a failed build of something. The package imagemagick failed. I tried one more time to compile it, it again failed. I then did an emerge --sync, then tried to emerge it again. The package still failed. I decided I was going to reboot with ubuntu, then emerge it from a chrooted environment. Since ubuntu is running X, I would be able to cut and paste the build errors so I could search for a solution. The package did not fail like expected, it just compiled without errors, how could that be?

Now I feel dumb. I tried to reemerge it using my gentoo kernel and it did not fail. My only theory to what happened was user error. After doing the emerge --sync I must not have tried it again until rebooting with ubuntu. I honestly remember trying, but must not have. That is the only thing that can account for what happened.

Now I feel dumb. I tried to reemerge it using my gentoo kernel and it did not fail. My only theory to what happened was user error. After doing the emerge --sync I must not have tried it again until rebooting with ubuntu. I honestly remember trying, but must not have. That is the only thing that can account for what happened.

I'm trying to understand this, shanenin. Is your Gentoo system up and running now, has it been fixed? I'm probably not reading your thread correctly. :D

Usually when you have a compile error, it does not compile properly until you find the reason it failed and make some changes. As far as I could tell I changed nothing but it just started to work. It appeared to randomly fix its self. That is why I was so dumbfounded. None the less, I did not feel right about how part of the install went so I started over. I was probably just neurosis, but I will be using it everyday, so I want to be sure everything was done correctly. I expect it to be finished by this evening.

Edited by shanenin
Usually when you have a compile error, it does not compile properly until you find the reason it failed and make some changes. As far as I could tell I changed nothing but it just started to work. It appeared to randomly fix its self. That is why I was so dumbfounded. None the less, I did not feel right about how part of the install went so I started over. I was probably just neurosis, but I will be using it everyday, so I want to be sure everything was done correctly. I expect it to be finished by this evening.

I understand. I'm the same way, shanenin. I always want to have a pristine install and I'll re-do it to get it right. :D

This was strange. On this second time rebuilding gentoo, it failed on the same package, imagemagick. I noticed it made reference to perl in the error. I did USE="-perl" emerge imagemagick and it compiled fine. I am not sure if I need perl support :blink:

This still does not explain how this package built correctly the one time while running it from ubuntu in a chrooted environment.