Firefox Process Running?

I was having some problems with firefox, so I deleted my profile. Now I am not able to start a new session, I am getting an error about firefox already running. I first tried logging out to kill all processes associated with my login session. That did not work. I have even tried to reboot my system. I am still getting this error.

I tried doing ps -e | grep firefox, but it is not showing any process running. Any ideas to why it is doing this?

Edited by shanenin

I just tried as root the following command

killall -u shane

I think this will kill every process owned by shane. It instantly kicked me out of my login session back to the gdm login screen. I logged back in, and it still won't let me start firefox. Even though the message says I have a firefox process running, I am certain I do not.

Next time this happens, look for, and if you find it, delete, ~/.mozilla/firefox/$PROFILE/lock. You might have to delete .parentlock in the same directory, too. Firefox uses lockfiles to determine what profiles are in use; sometimes they don't get deleted at exit.

Edited by jcl
In the past I have had problems with firefox randomly crashing. I found deleting my profile fixed it. I am not sure what part of it was corrupted.

For me FF crashes once in awhile at one site....CNN. I have no idea what code at the site causes this. :D

My firefox just seems to be getting worse and worse. Other then deleting my profile and reinstalling it, I am not sure why it is crashing so much. I decided I am going to rebuild my gentoo system, its been a long time since I have redone it. I have such a cobbled mess, I am not even sure how it is put together anymore. I have been running it with just 256mb of memory(I sold off half its memory) with an athlon xp 2000. I have an athlon xp 2600 barton, I am going to upgrade it to. I will up the memory to a respectable 512mb. That extra memory and better processor should help compile times. When I do use the shell, I feel good. This buiild should be peaceful and enjoyable :-)

Edited by shanenin
In the past I have had problems with firefox randomly crashing. I found deleting my profile fixed it. I am not sure what part of it was corrupted.

For me FF crashes once in awhile at one site....CNN. I have no idea what code at the site causes this. :D

Mine crashes whenever I click on links. It does not seem to matter which ones. I mentioned in the other post rebuilding my system, i realize that may not fix the firefox problem, but I just wanted to to it anyways.

Mine crashes whenever I click on links. It does not seem to matter which ones. I mentioned in the other post rebuilding my system, i realize that may not fix the firefox problem, but I just wanted to to it anyways.

After you re-built your system did that fix FF? Did you do a clean install?

I am going to clean install today. Hopefully that will help with the FF issue. I made such a mess of my system, in the name of fun, Its needs to be formatted and rebuilt. I was trying to sort through some stuff I did a year ago, and was lost. The time and effort it would take me to figure out what I did , could be better spent on doing a clean install. I also noticed when I reboot, it takes along time when mounting file systems, which leads me to believe my file system may be corrupted.

I am going to clean install today. Hopefully that will help with the FF issue. I made such a mess of my system, in the name of fun, Its needs to be formatted and rebuilt. I was trying to sort through some stuff I did a year ago, and was lost. The time and effort it would take me to figure out what I did , could be better spent on doing a clean install. I also noticed when I reboot, it takes along time when mounting file systems, which leads me to believe my file system may be corrupted.

I had a similar problem on my Debian Etch system a week ago. After running apt-get the system would fail to boot properly once in awhile. I've fixed it in the past by running #fsck /dev/sda.......but......I finally got tired of the @#*%ing system breaking. So, now I'm running Ubuntu again. Debian is unstable right now for me. Maybe they'll fix the bugs prior to Etch being officially released.

My two Slackware boxes are working okay.

fsck /dev/sda.

SATA? I would have guessed most all of your sytems used IDE. Most all computers came with IDE, untill just recently.

Nope, my main Slackware box has a SCSI drive:-), My other Slackware box is IDE. My Ubuntu station has a SCSI drive too. :D

I am still learning alot about hardware. Does SCSI mean scuzzy or can the mean SATA also?

Uhhhh.......good question:-) I think scsi means scuzzy.......not sure if scsi also means SATA. Maybe iccaros, jcl, or t0c knows this one. :blink:

The new system booted without errors :-)

I have about a 50/50 success rate. I usually miss something. Now i am emerging gnome, it told me it needs to compile just under 300 packages. It should be finished tomorrow when I wake up.

The new system booted without errors :-)

I have about a 50/50 success rate. I usually miss something. Now i am emerging gnome, it told me it needs to compile just under 300 packages. It should be finished tomorrow when I wake up.

Cool:-) Sounds good man! I also have a 50/50 success rate with FreeBSD. When I first set-up a dual boot with slackware/freebsd it worked flawlessly, the next time I did it I must have made a mistake as it wouldn't boot. I'll try again at some point.

I am still learning alot about hardware. Does SCSI mean scuzzy or can the mean SATA also?

Uhhhh.......good question:-) I think scsi means scuzzy.......not sure if scsi also means SATA. Maybe iccaros, jcl, or t0c knows this one. :blink:

It gives me a headache to think about it. SATA is SATA and SCSI is SCSI. SATA is descended from an IBM PC/AT device interface (ATA = AT Attachment) and SCSI is descended from an older peripheral interface invented at one of Xerox's subsidiaries. So, they're different.

However, SATA devices can emulate SCSI devices via SCSI-ATA Translation (SAT), Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) controllers can be used with SATA drives (by tunneling the SATA protocol through SCSI), and the SATAPI (SATA Packet Interface, descended from ATAPI, used by CD/DVD drives and whatnot) protocol is (AFAIK) a subset of the SCSI protocol. And I've heard that the SATA protocols are similar to SCSI, but since the SATA standards organization charges for the specs, I can't confirm that.

Or something like that. It's a huge confusing mess and I want everyone on the ATA side to die horribly.

As for /dev/sd*, they're SCSI device files, but they're also used for SATA devices running under SAT.

Edited by jcl

It gives me a headache to think about it. SATA is SATA and SCSI is SCSI. SATA is descended from an IBM PC/AT device interface (ATA = AT Attachment) and SCSI is descended from an older peripheral interface invented at one of Xerox's subsidiaries. So, they're different.

However, SATA devices can emulate SCSI devices via SCSI-ATA Translation (SAT), Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) controllers can be used with SATA drives (by tunneling the SATA protocol through SCSI), and the SATAPI (SATA Packet Interface, descended from ATAPI, used by CD/DVD drives and whatnot) protocol is (AFAIK) a subset of the SCSI protocol. And I've heard that the SATA protocols are similar to SCSI, but since the SATA standards organization charges for the specs, I can't confirm that.

Or something like that. It's a huge confusing mess and I want everyone on the ATA side to die horribly.

As for /dev/sd*, they're SCSI device files, but they're also used for SATA devices running under SAT.

Thanks for passing on the headache. :wacko:

Thanks for the thorough explanation, jcl! Very interesting indeed! I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this line, very funny stuff ,man! :thumbsup: