Post Your Linux Screen Shot

I have used the debain sarge installer, it is pretty nice. It makes debian a fairly easy(still takes some thinking) install. The old debian 3.0(woodly)install was kind of a pain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, it takes a bit of thinking, the installer is a bit similar to Ubuntu, Slackware, FreeBSD. I've also read that 3.0 was tough to set-up. I found it interesting that Debian requires you to set-up a MTA (mail transfer agent) as part of the install process. Debian as I've discovered uses a fair bit of RAM on start-up, much more than Slack. I'm going into swap too much. I'll play with this a bit.....then Slack again. I love Slack. :D

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been looking for a replacement for Mandriva 2005 on my old Dell Plll 500 as Mandriva doesn't properly support my sound card without some patching. Downloaded Suse 9.1 last night, just trying it out. Suse finds all of my hardware and is light on system resources. Not too bad so far.

snapshot6.jpg

Hey naraku9333,

XFce is an awesome wm.  I ran that for some time on my Slackware box.  Powerful, fast, light on system resources.  Great screenshot btw:-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Yes its a very nice WM/DE. But honestly theres parts of every WM/DE that I like and dislike (except CDE, I just plain dont like CDE).

Hey naraku9333,

XFce is an awesome wm.  I ran that for some time on my Slackware box.  Powerful, fast, light on system resources.  Great screenshot btw:-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Yes its a very nice WM/DE. But honestly theres parts of every WM/DE that I like and dislike (except CDE, I just plain dont like CDE).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're welcome!

Well said. Each wm/de has pros and cons. Right now I'm using KDE and Gnome on my Linux boxes. I use Gnome because KDE doesn't play well with my graphics card on one of my units. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Slackware 10.1 KDE 3.3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That doesn't look like KDE...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi The LetterK,

No you're right, it isn't KDE, it is XFce4, a great window manager. The post you've quoted ,August 18th, was an old post when I was running KDE. I recently overwrote that image with a new image with the same file name (storage issues at my ISP), when I overwrote my old image it affected all previous slackware screenshots.......oh well. :D

This recent image reflects what I'm running now on my Slackware box. This is Slackware 10.2, running XFce4. I installed 10.2 shortly after it was released, a great distro btw:-)

snapshot5.jpg

i need to post one with the a windows up cause i have also customized them too. Hey does anyone know how to change all folder icons at once. they're blue right now and i have green ones like them but i don't know how to change them all at once.

Whoah! Here goes my imagination again ... It looks like the planet in Pitch Black . I expect to see those scary creatures flying out any moment now.

What're the grey bars?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bars are part of my terminal multi-aterm there should be only the top bar. But at the time I took this screenshot I had forgotten the command to make the scroll bar transparent. After I rebuild the world to 6.0rc1 I'll take another screenshot this time you won't see the scrollbar. Oh I'd like the thank everybody for the warm welcome too.

Edited by Carnevil
i need to post one with the a windows up cause i have also customized them too. Hey does anyone know how to change all folder icons at once. they're blue right now and i have green ones like them but i don't know how to change them all at once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can do it a couple ways , I think...here's one way

r-click folder (any)>properties-general tab>click the little wrench next to "type:folder">click on the folder icon>select "other icons">browse to your icon>open>ok

that should change all folder icons.

the other way is in kcontrol>kde components>file associations...

you can change pretty much all icons and file associations there but I think the first way is easiest.

hope it helps. :)

Might as well throw up a screenshot too while I'm here. :)

Still Ubuntu 5.04 (soon to be 5.10) running KDE 3.4

screenshot001.jpg

Edited by tictoc5150

Hey tictoc, nice screenshot! :thumbsup:

I finally ditched Debian 3.1. It's a nice distro, but, the software is a tad outdated. I'm now running Slackware and Ubuntu. Like you I'll be upgrading to 5.10. I think they're releasing 5.10 tomorrow if I'm not mistaken, I'll be downloading it. The hardware detection on Ubuntu rocks! :D

Edited by hitest
  • 1 month later...