Post Your Linux Screen Shot

All my machines are still dual boot...a total waste of space too since I don't ever boot to windows....well, maybe once in a blue moon but it's a total PITA since I have to update everything....I get to a usable desktop about 5 minutes after boot...lol

My work requires us to do training and development BS on the PC, unfortunately I actually have real work to do while I'm there so I have to do that crap at home...then comes the company webdork...er..master (CEO's son) who's a big fan of M$ frontpage and seems to think no one uses an alternative browser....crossover office helps me to never have to boot to windows :D

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All my machines are still dual boot...a total waste of space too since I don't ever boot to windows....well, maybe once in a blue moon but it's a total PITA since I have to update everything....I get to a usable desktop about 5 minutes after boot...lol

My work requires us to do training and development BS on the PC, unfortunately I actually have real work to do while I'm there so I have to do that crap at home...then comes the company webdork...er..master (CEO's son) who's a big fan of M$ frontpage and seems to think no one uses an alternative browser....crossover office helps me to never have to boot to windows  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean. Our county website is only properly viewable in IE, it doesn't even display properly in firefox, windows version and is even worse if using linux. We try to tell them that not everyone uses windows and IE, that some of us are smarter than that, but they don't listen

just ask your boss why your comapy refuest to code to the standard (W3C), I guess when they start to loose coustomers becasue they are not using the standards.. we'll see.

for tictoc.. I use VMware to boot to windows. I have to do some .net stuff becasue of a new conatract and need visual studio. but I am tring to keep my .net so I can port it to mono when its mature.

just ask your boss why your comapy refuest to code to the standard (W3C), I guess when they start to loose coustomers becasue they are not using the standards.. we'll see.

As long as IE dominates the market, they're more likely to lose customers if they follow the W3C recommendations.

My work requires us to do training and development BS on the PC, unfortunately I actually have real work to do while I'm there so I have to do that crap at home...then comes the company webdork...er..master (CEO's son) who's a big fan of M$ frontpage and seems to think no one uses an alternative browser....crossover office helps me to never have to boot to windows  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, tictoc,

Our company is also mostly a windows only shop with some macs thrown in. I'm forced to do most of my work in windows. I'm thinking of lobbying one of the head geeks to get him to find some linux software that'll do the job for some of the company proprietary software that I have to use now.

Now, that would be cool. To be able to do all of my computing in Linux.

The penguin rules!! :D

I've gone back to Slackware 10.1.......yet again on my other box. :D Fedora Core 4 was nice, but, it's not quite as responsive on my Plll 667 IBM, 256 MB RAM.

I love Slack. I may give Gentoo a try this summer when I'm off work. But, I'm not sure if this old PC will be able to run it.

snapshot5.jpg

As long as IE dominates the market, they're more likely to lose customers if they follow the W3C recommendations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IE seams to open W3C pages just fine why loose coustomers?

at work I am being forced to learn .net for a coustomer, the more I learn the more I wonder why they had to invent something new except to lock out other players.

IE seams to open W3C pages just fine why loose coustomers?

Try using XHTML and CSS 2 without restrictions and without using any deprecated features. IE's support for CSS is notoriously poor. It doesn't implement many properties and others are implemented incorrectly or trigger rendering bugs.

Even the Mozilla browsers don't fully implement CSS 2.

at work I am being forced to learn .net for a coustomer, the more I learn the more I wonder why they had to invent something new except to lock out other players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a solid platform. Certainly a far better application platform than Win32.

here is my latest ubuntu desktop, made this myself with a little image tweaking.

I'll probably be making a new one this week now that the 4th is over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, nice desktop, Efwis! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, welcome to Besttechie, chris-barry...nice to see a new face in the linux section.

Jeesh hitest....ya' ever get sick of a default kde look?...lol...j/k

Mine is just something I threw together to meet the forums rated-g standards. :P

snapshot18.jpg

EDIT: wtf?...I know I just read hitests post below mine...~poof~ gone now!...either that or I've used too many mood altering chemicals in my earlier years. :blink:

Anyway, was just gonna poke more fun about the "menu" text on the K button...lol

incidently, if you hate that as much as I do...

edit ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc...in the [kmenu] section add kmenutext=false

EDIT: wtf?...I know I just read hitests post below mine...~poof~ gone now!...either that or I've used too many mood altering chemicals in my earlier years.  :blink:

Anyway, was just gonna poke more fun about the "menu" text on the K button...lol

incidently, if you hate that as much as I do...

edit ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc...in the [kmenu] section add kmenutext=false

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, :lol:

Nope you didn't use too many mood altering chemicals in your younger days, tictoc. I didn't like my screenshot so I nuked it, too plain. Here's another one. :D

snapshot6.jpg

Current desktop:

5b75d8b3.jpg

No, really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good cygwin refrence...

screenshot-640.jpeg

And something for your userContent.css.  I allready had this to make screen shot threads bearable on another Invision board.

img[alt="user posted image"]{max-width:640px}

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, welcome to Besttechie.net, man! I haven't seen you for ages.

Hai-Etlik, is an old time poster from the TTV board days. :D:D

Just installed Debian 3.1 sarge on my system. I did a net install, downloaded a small boot image about 180 MB, burned it onto CD and downloaded, installed most of the files from the Internet. It's pretty good, quite fast. :D

snapshot8.jpg