Post Your Linux Screen Shot

if it 1.0.7 then you have the current fixes for that configuration. Mozilla is running two different versions of FF right now, 1.0.7 soon to be updated to 1.0.8 and 1.5.01 so make sure you know exactly what version of FF your using.

Sorry to have taken this off topic

Hey Dragon, yep I'm running FF 1.0.7 so I should have the current fixes for that. Yes, I'm sure it is 1.0.7 as it doesn't have the features that I've seen in FF 1.5.0.1 on my Slackware box.

No need to apologize, I've enjoyed this thread. :D

Here's a shot of Debian Etch again, KDE 3.5.1 and some tunes:-)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/hit...snapshot142.jpg

Very nice hitest, but it's a little plain. I think you need something to spruce it up a little, something like this *IMAGE REMOVED*.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

God I hate Linux sometimes. Apple and Microsoft solved this problem years ago. Even NetBSD and Dragonfly have partial solutions.

Dependency hell is one of many reasons I've stopped for the most part using rpm based distros. My server runs Mandriva, it works okay.

The good people at Debian have worked very hard to ensure that Debian packages that are installed, upgraded will not boink your system, I haven't encountered as many weird things as when I ran Fedora........things seem fairly stable in sarge and Etch anyway.

Etch seems to suck much less than other distros I've run. :D

Personally I think Gentoo handles deps better then most other distros (not to say ive tried every distro), in the three years or so i've used gentoo I can't remember one dependency problem, while in the two weeks or so ive used Suse 10 OSS I have had several to deal with.

Personally I think Gentoo handles deps better then most other distros (not to say ive tried every distro), in the three years or so i've used gentoo I can't remember one dependency problem, while in the two weeks or so ive used Suse 10 OSS I have had several to deal with.

Did I ever mention that I switched to Ubuntu because my Gentoo install was so mired in dependency hell that it was impossible to update? :)

All package managers hate me.

Did I ever mention that I switched to Ubuntu because my Gentoo install was so mired in dependency hell that it was impossible to update? :)

All package managers hate me.

Arch's pacman is suppose to be good, have you tried that one.

Yeah. Arch was my first choice when I gave up on Gentoo. It is quite nice but the documentation policy drove me away.

(Arch doesn't package any docs except for manpages. If you need the full documentation for a package you're supposed to get it yourself from the WWW.)

Yeah. Arch was my first choice when I gave up on Gentoo. It is quite nice but the documentation policy drove me away.

(Arch doesn't package any docs except for manpages. If you need the full documentation for a package you're supposed to get it yourself from the WWW.)

That to me shows a lack of care for the people who use their distro. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you go back to the BSD's.

In all honesty, 'dependency hell' is inherent when you start modularizing code for an application. Unless the program is statically linked and written to only use raw and generic abi calls, it will always exist. The problem is hidden usually with a dependency system that's implemented in a userspace library that can be updated like any other module -- which doesn't fix the problem per se, just makes it less immediately noticable.

That said, all of those applications can be built statically, and all can coexist with other userspace libraries of conflicting versions. The only time that you have to worry is when the dependency is in the abi used by the kernel itself. You can't as easily dynamically link those calls.

Granted, most package tools aren't entirely aware of this axiom, but it's completely possible, and has been done several times. I think the problem has to do with the fact that people who usually write package managers aren't the same people who write kernels or libs. Add to this the assumption that the management tools are an unremovable component of the system, the thought is allowed to blossom into full on 'truth'.

As for doing it, you are on your own for your specific distro. However given enough work I can guarentee with little reserve that you can do it. I've done it on freebsd, qnx, and on a windows install a few years ago. Fighting with the package management software will probably be the bulk of the problems, the os typically doesn't care at all.

Edited by Helio
If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you go back to the BSD's.

FreeBSD's Linux compatibility wasn't quite compatible enough, NetBSD didn't have the NVIDIA drivers, Dragonfly was too much work, OpenBSD was OpenBSD.

Heh. The first time I upgraded from Debian stable to testing the upgrade munged my package database. Took me a solid half day of work to rebuild the system. It did work well after it was fixed though.

I'll bet you're right on that one, jcl! I did a clean install of Debian Etch, not an upgrade. I think the next stable release of Debian will be released in December of 06......which will be Etch.....heh-heh. At that time I will most likely upgrade to Sid.......they will have worked out the bugs by then.

Gentoo is a very robust system as is Unix (Dragon fly), do you have any upgrade, install woes with those systems ( I've never used them)?

I'm very happy with Debian..................so far.......I tend to hop from distro to distro because something will eventually annoy me with what ever distro I use. It is interesting to note that I haven't found anything really stupid in Debian. Debian is very conservative, but, it works :D

Very nice hitest, but it's a little plain. I think you need something to spruce it up a little, something like this *IMAGE REMOVED*.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.......yes..........you're correct........that image is better.................................I'm sure my wife would like me to have that as my desktop:-)

I'll take your word on that one, naraku9333, I don't have any experience with Gentoo, so I can't comment.

I've been running Debian for a bit now and like it.......perhaps more than slack....egad:-) I'm sure I will eventualy find something that bugs me about Debian......but.....nothing yet............it is all good, rock solid:-)

Suse 10.0 worked okay for me I just got really sick and tired of YAST:-)

I have been using gentoo a good for about 2 or so years(since gentoo 1.4). I seem to have found a distro I like. I don't see dropping it any time soon.

for a time refernce. I started to use gentoo back when we still had the old tech tv forums. About how long ago did those close?

I have been using gentoo a good for about 2 or so years(since gentoo 1.4). I seem to have found a distro I like. I don't see dropping it any time soon.

for a time refernce. I started to use gentoo back when we still had the old tech tv forums. About how long ago did those close?

I remember those days man....those were the days when you used Red Hat 9 for about three months....switched to slack, and then LFS......and then Gentoo. Yes, Gentoo is solid, no question......I should get off my butt one day and learn it! :D

I think the Tech TV forums were about two years ago or so........wow time has sure gone by:-)

jeeze you have a good memory :-) I think I used gentoo for a bit before doing LFS. The first time I installed gentoo I have no concept of what a lot of the commands actually meant, like "chroot". When I installed LFS it gave me an understanding of what that command(chroot) actually did.

jeeze you have a good memory :-) I think I used gentoo for a bit before doing LFS. The first time I installed gentoo I have no concept of what a lot of the commands actually meant, like "chroot". When I installed LFS it gave me an understanding of what that command(chroot) actually did.

Heh-heh, yes , I remember those days:-) I think you are correct....you installed LFS once as an experiment......and have stuck with Gentoo ever since:-)

As a moderator I can say I am happy that you and the other experts are here!

I can solve a number of issues, but I'm glad the experts are here to do the heavy lifting! The Linux Experts at BT rock:-)

Gentoo is a very robust system as is Unix (Dragon fly), do you have any upgrade, install woes with those systems ( I've never used them)?

I pretty much demolished Gentoo. Portage will give you as much rope as you want and even help tie the noose when you decide to hang yourself. It didn't take me long to deadlock it. No upgrades possible because of version and dependency conflicts. Even hit some fun paradoxical dependencies: packages that had to be installed and uninstalled or upgraded and downgraded at the same time. In theory portage might be able handle situations like that -- it supports parallel installs of different versions of packages and has fairly useful dependency tracking -- but at the time there weren't many utilities to dig you out of those kinds of holes.

The BSDs and Solaris never gave me any problems but I didn't push them nearly as hard.

I'm very happy with Debian..................so far.......I tend to hop from distro to distro because something will eventually annoy me with what ever distro I use. It is interesting to note that I haven't found anything really stupid in Debian. Debian is very conservative, but, it works :D

Same here. Debian is the only distro I've switched to twice.

Edited by jcl

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.......yes..........you're correct........that image is better.................................I'm sure my wife would like me to have that as my desktop:-)

If she's an loving and understanding woman I'm sure she'd be fine with it. :lol: Besides, do you know how long it took me to find a schoolgirl background where the girl wasn't asian,animated, or naked?

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you go back to the BSD's.

FreeBSD's Linux compatibility wasn't quite compatible enough, NetBSD didn't have the NVIDIA drivers, Dragonfly was too much work, OpenBSD was OpenBSD.

That must be some hardcore linux stuff, I've seen the FreeBSD linux compatibility layer run some sh*t, with minimal fuss that is. It's too bad NetBSD doesn't have Nvidia drivers. Matt Dillion does have a long way to go to get Dragonfly to run smoothly. OpenBSD, well Theo had better get his sh*t together, if he expects it to survive, considering it's having financial problems. Which sucks, because that's going to put a damper on development for both OpenBSD and OpenSSH. :(

Edited by hitest
That must be some hardcore linux stuff, I've seen the FreeBSD linux compatibility layer run some shit, with minimal fuss that is.

The package that originally drove me back to Linux had dependencies on the kernel internals. Threading related, I think. This would have been back when FreeBSD and Linux both had non-comformant and flaky implementations of POSIX threads and people on the Linux side were doing evil things with clone(). Ironically I never did use the package after I switched. Not even sure what it was now. (I thought it was KRoC but I see that it supports FreeBSD.)

It's too bad NetBSD doesn't have Nvidia drivers.

Or even DRI. Someone did manage to get one of the NVIDIA drivers working on NetBSD years ago but nothing came of it. It might actually have been the Linux driver come to think of it. Too bad, I really like NetBSD.

That's a bummer with your Gentoo install. I never got that far with Gentoo; I got about halfway through the install before I boinked it all up. I can't really offer an opinion about Gentoo, I kind of like the idea of portage it sort of reminds me of apt in a way. I frequently wreak my Slackware install by trying new things and then I get frustrated and over-write it, re-install, heh-heh:-)

For now Debian is my distro of choice, it runs really lean and fast, and just works once you set it up, as you know:-) I find it odd that Debian sets up a mail transfer agent as part of the install process, that's the only weird thing I've noticed about Debian. :D

I'm happy to hear that you think Debian is okay, jcl!!

That's a bummer with your Gentoo install. I never got that far with Gentoo; I got about halfway through the install before I boinked it all up. I can't really offer an opinion about Gentoo, I kind of like the idea of portage it sort of reminds me of apt in a way. I frequently wreak my Slackware install by trying new things and then I get frustrated and over-write it, re-install, heh-heh:-)

For now Debian is my distro of choice, it runs really lean and fast, and just works once you set it up, as you know:-) I find it odd that Debian sets up a mail transfer agent as part of the install process, that's the only weird thing I've noticed about Debian. :D

I'm happy to hear that you think Debian is okay, jcl!!

Trust me hitest, you aren't missing anything. I screwed up a gentoo install atleast six times before getting it right. After a week of playing with it, I realized the hassle I went through wasn't worth it. Portage is nothing but a fubared version of FreeBSD's ports. (waits for criticism for that remark) But it isn't the distro that'll drive you the most insane, it's the gentoo community. A few sites have delved deep into the inner workings of the gentoo community. One is a nice comedic look into the community http://funroll-loops.org/ the other is a more practical look http://greenfly.org/mes.html. I say just stick with Debian or Slack or possibly a BSD and you'll be very happy.

Edited by Carnevil

Hmmmm, for being the n00best "expert" on the board, I'm pretty happy with myself managing to install gentoo on the first shot (with the exception of configuring xorg properly, but a very easy fix thanks to iccaros)...Since it was just a POS test box, I had no real reason to keep the install...I really didn't think there was anything special about portage....maybe I'm not getting the inner workings but emerge <your app of choice> doesn't seem much different than apt-get install <your app of choice>

It did teach me quite a bit about linux and partitioning in general but I don't feel like I'm missing anything by using Ubuntu and Debian.

For now Debian is my distro of choice, it runs really lean and fast, and just works once you set it up, as you know

hitest,

I have to agree. Debian Sid is by far the fastest distro I've run so far...Booting up is a record breaker and both KDE and Gnome are very fast as well as my NFS networking (Ubuntu usually takes a minute or so to find the shares, Deb finds em' instantly).

The "just works" takes a little knowledge (sad to say, a bit more knowledge than I have for a couple issues) but it's do-able.

I can't say if I'll stick with Debian since this install was just because I was bored and waiting for Dapper but so far everything is stable...not bad for something labeled as unstable. ;)

And to stick with the thread:

Same Debian Sid with KDE3.5

deb-ss2.png

Edited by tictoc5150
I really didn't think there was anything special about portage....maybe I'm not getting the inner workings but emerge <your app of choice> doesn't seem much different than apt-get install <your app of choice>

Emerge KDE or GNOME. The differentness will start to sink in ten or twelve hours into the build. Especially if the build fails.

it's the gentoo community.

I like the gentoo community. no other distro even comes close to great online docs. Virtually anything you would like to do with gentoo has been thoroughly documented by its users. If for some reason an ebuild fails, almost alwasy the solution is easily found and documented. The people on the fourms are alwasy their with quick solutions to your problems.

Edited by shanenin
I have to agree. Debian Sid is by far the fastest distro I've run so far...Booting up is a record breaker and both KDE and Gnome are very fast as well as my NFS networking (Ubuntu usually takes a minute or so to find the shares, Deb finds em' instantly).

I would guess nfs being slow to mount is because portmap is not running on your client(ubuntu) machine. start the service then try mounting nfs

/etc/init.d/portmap start

then try mounting nfs.